Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
914GTSTI
post Feb 18 2015, 11:08 AM
Post #461

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,123
Region Association: None

Man that is a pretty pan !

Funny your thinking about that.Todays work. LOL

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i916.photobucket.com-8123-1424280165.1.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 18 2015, 02:23 PM
Post #462

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 18 2015, 11:46 AM) *

Moving along with progress, just stockpiling parts now.
I am considering using the AL front 911 cross member when I swap the front struts. I know, it is supposedly less stiff, but...I kind of like it so I may use it. Unfortunately my suspension setup was missing the bracing straps, or whatever they are called.
The think pointed to below:

Anybody have a pair that they want to sell or measure so that I can make them?

Thanks,
Scott

I have a set I could measure up for you, have to find them in the bin. I run one, its a heck a lot lighter than stock 914 unit. I never noticed flex, even with DOT-Rs or Slicks. Maybe with wider wheels and tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 22 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #463

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

I picked up the smallest Subaru 5mt a starter I could find on Ebay to test the fit. I think that it is similar to the starter that 914forme just posted in his build thread but a different part number. Mine is 23300AA560 and might have come out of an 08 WRX.

It fits w/o cutting...just like Stephen said it would!!!
Attached Image

Attached Image

I think that I will still need to make a little room for the clutch slave, it is going to be very close.

I picked up a tail shifter engine mount from Stephen and tried it out yesterday. Surprisingly the cast bar is 1/2lb lighter. It also does not fit quite like I was hoping so now I am going to built one. I should be able to make it low profile enough so that it does not hang below the bottom of the floor/oil pan. It really makes me nervous now that the bar is the lowest point.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 22 2015, 09:51 AM
Post #464

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I fretted about cutting the trunk as well but I'm glad that I did. The black box in the pic is the cover. I now have direct access to the starter, solenoid and slave cylinder w/o crawling under the car. Very convenient!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 22 2015, 10:10 AM
Post #465

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 22 2015, 07:51 AM) *

I fretted about cutting the trunk as well but I'm glad that I did. The black box in the pic is the cover. I now have direct access to the starter, solenoid and slave cylinder w/o crawling under the car. Very convenient!

I am definitely not fretting about cutting up the car...if I need to for some purpose. If I can fit something w/o comprising functionality I will and spend the time/money saved improving something elsewhere on the project. Like welding the unnecessary seams in the intercooler plumbing and installing v-band clamps at the IC!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 1 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #466

That's opposite lock!!

It was above freezing today (34F) so I thought that I would tinker in the garage for a bit. Started cleaning up the 911 front suspension and got stuck trying to remove the dust cap. Didn't have a 2" exaust clamp so I switched over to the engine cross bar. Figured that I would just confirm my measurements and start marking up the parts to cut. 3 hours later and was somehow pretty much finished.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Need to finish welding it, size the holes, radius the edges and paint it.
Can't wait to get rid of the huge cast piece.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 2 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #467

I don't recognize that part since you removed all the saw dust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Nice job on the cross bar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Mar 2 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #468

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Specs on the bar? Looks to be 2x2x1/4 with 3/8ths ends? Nice work!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 3 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #469

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 2 2015, 06:23 PM) *

I don't recognize that part since you removed all the saw dust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Nice job on the cross bar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Everything that might go on the car gets a quick swim in the parts cleaner!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 2 2015, 07:06 PM) *

Specs on the bar? Looks to be 2x2x1.4 with 3/8ths ends? Nice work!

Bar is 1"x1.5", 0.120" wall. The end material material is 3/8 and is welded to the bottom thickness of the bar for a total cantilevered thickness of 0.495". This should swap in for the current bar and keep the engine at the same height. I am going to weld the bar to the engine mount and add some gussets to provide a little extra margin against bending.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Mar 3 2015, 09:10 AM
Post #470

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Amenson @ Mar 3 2015, 07:37 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 2 2015, 06:23 PM) *

Everything that might go on the car gets a quick swim in the parts cleaner!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 2 2015, 07:06 PM) *

Specs on the bar? Looks to be 2x2x1.4 with 3/8ths ends? Nice work!

Bar is 1"x1.5", 0.120" wall. The end material material is 3/8 and is welded to the bottom thickness of the bar for a total cantilevered thickness of 0.495". This should swap in for the current bar and keep the engine at the same height. I am going to weld the bar to the engine mount and add some gussets to provide a little extra margin against bending.

Cheers,
Scott

That works and should be plenty strong. Looking forward to your progress!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 3 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #471

That's opposite lock!!

Could not wait until the weekend to finish the bar...didn't hurt that it was over 40F in the garage. Heat wave. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

New bar with the old bar.

Attached Image

Should not be able to break this setup.

Attached Image

It holds the engine up!!

Attached Image

Should be able to put in a full day on Sunday to finish the engine and trans mounts.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 4 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #472

That's opposite lock!!

I was cleaning the 911 5-lug front suspension and pulled the A calipers...I knew they were going to be heavy but damn, it was ridiculous. This will not do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I have had a set of billet dynalite style calipers in a bin forever. I dug them out and started drawing up adapters. Did a search online and found some cheap weld brackets from Jegs that have half of the work done already.

Attached Image

I laid out the strut side holes, now I just need to drill them and cut off the rest...hope my math was right! I will need some spacers to center the caliper on the rotor but I think that it is less than 5mm.

As an added bonus, I sized the master cylinder for these calipers so the pedal feel should soften up a bit...it is a bit stiff now.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 8 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #473

That's opposite lock!!

Had a buddy over today and we swapped in the 911 front suspension. Went in no problem. Also finished the plate for the new calipers, still need to add a spacer but it seems to fit well.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I did notice that the strut insert retaining nuts to not properly center the strut. I think that I have the stock nut with KYB (they came with the car) inserts.

Is this the stock nut?

Attached Image

I also fussed around with the engine mount. It is deflecting a tiny bit so I am going to run a reinforcing rib down the top.

It is coming together but still quite a bit to do before the roads are salt free!

Oh, anybody want a set of stock front struts? They have BMW calipers with Hawk HP+ pads, fresh rotors and bearings. Trade for a nice 6 pack in person.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 4 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #474

That's opposite lock!!

Finally after hours in the garage I have some results to share. I fit the reinforcing ribs to the engine cross bar.
Attached Image

In order to maximize the height I had a load of clearancing to do for the perfect fit. Also notice the sandblasted ends of the engine side brackets. I cut the previous bracing out of the mount and prepped it to be welded to the new crossbar.
Attached Image

Mounts on the transmission came together also. Ready to be welded to the upper plates.
Attached Image

Virtually no gap, these should be a treat to weld.
Attached Image

And they were.
Attached Image

Look ma...no ratchet strap!
Attached Image

Also had the phone dials stripped and powder coated. The tires get swapped over tomorrow. Yes, the Fuchs will be available then also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 5 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #475

That's opposite lock!!

Finally finished the engine mount today. Had to use the torch twice to straighten it after welding.
Attached Image

Drivetrain is fully supported. Nothing from Porsche exists except the mounting holes in the chassis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Attached Image

Now I can drop the drivetrain and install the LSD!

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 5 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #476

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nice progress
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Apr 24 2015, 11:51 AM
Post #477

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

A very nice build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/sh...EJ25-subi-setup

Nice trick to keep the heads on.Drydeck the block to keep the sleeves in place.First time seeing it done to the Subaru blocks,an elegant touch is the matching pockets.Good work.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 26 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #478

That's opposite lock!!

Time to get serious on progress....HRPT is at the beginning of June and I want to drive the car all May to may sure that it is robust.

Pulled the engine trans and opened the trans to install the LSD and subaspool. Spent hours cleaning the case sealant and leftovers from the exploded center diff. Fortunately the gears and bearings look mint.

Attached Image

Got the gearbox back together, backlash set and went to install the o-rings in the bearing carriers. Got a little tight screwing it back in, must be a dry spot grabbing the o-ring...nope stuck. Will not move. Pulled the gearbox back apart and applied heat, will not move. Made a special tool, will not move. Pull the blade from the hacksaw and manually, very carefully, cut the carrier out of the case.

Attached Image

Pulled the carriers out of the spare gearbox, ordered a load of new seals and put it back together...again. Finally ready to go back in.
Attached Image

The engine trolly is set up for the 901 transmission and the suby trans does not sit level on it. Made for a bit of excitement getting it out, the engine slid off the dolly and wedged against the firewall...no harm no faul. Getting it back in was less eventful but inefficient enough that I will remake or modify the trolly before dropping it again.

Got it back in so that I can mock up the axles. This configuration may hold 1 ft/lb!
Attached Image

With the suspension at full droop I left .5" of clearance to remove the axle. Should give some clearance for toe adjustments and the DOJ has some remaining travel:
Attached Image

Big outer CV's look very happy!
Attached Image

Still a load of stuff to do and the engine needs to come back out to do much of it but the axles were the last of the parts to order. With a solid weekend next week I should be able to start it again....hopefully.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 27 2015, 02:02 PM
Post #479

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looking great Scott! I like the no cradle. Looks very clean & less to work around for the exhaust. Great job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 27 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #480

Wow that looks great, make me want to redo my setup. I really like the calipers.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:22 AM