Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 32 33 34 35 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
914forme
post Jul 6 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #661

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) We have all done it in the excitement of thrashing a project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) At least I have, part of the reason I started using check lists and paint pens. I used to get in a rush to get prepped for the races. And well, stuff happens, great progress even though the ending is not what you wished for.

BTW, that is why I have multiple MIG Torches, should get a second for my TIG (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

And should have called me, I have two friends that work at two separate welding supply houses, chances are good one of them had access to a few Miller TIG torches, even after hours. Or knew of someone who could get you a torch on short notice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 16 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #662

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

I couldn't stand not having the PorSTi to drive so I replaced the daily driver! Not a particularly imaginative choice to replace my '05 STi with a '14 STi but I really wanted a hatch.

Attached Image

It is amazing how much more refined yet how familiar it is. The whopping 5 additional HP barely offsets the additional 100lbs....it really needs another 200whp.

Now I need to deal with all of the vape kids trying to buy the '05.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 17 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #663

This vape kid loves the 05, PM sent.

Wow congratulations, that is a nice looking STI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) You know how to make more HP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 1 2019, 10:18 PM
Post #664

That's opposite lock!!

No progress on the porsti as I have been focused on Grey matter. I did take a couple of weeks to insulate and put up proper wall covering in the shop. Looks much nicer now and is substantially more efficient to heat.

The parents visited over the holidays and helped decorate!

Attached Image

I did get hooked up by Mike (ruby914) with a carbon version of his low profile dash.
Much too nice for my car....

Attached Image

That's all until Grey is finished....

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 1 2019, 10:58 PM
Post #665

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The shop looks great. Almost looks ready for a new project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 2 2019, 10:00 PM
Post #666

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 1 2019, 11:58 PM) *

The shop looks great. Almost looks ready for a new project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Very close to being ready for a new project and looking forward to doing a 6. Had lunch with Stephen a few weeks ago and was picking his brain on flipping the manifold (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 3 2019, 08:50 AM
Post #667

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My manifold is flipped so let me know if I can help. Also check out ThePaintedMan's thread. He has some good pics of how he did it.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jan 3 2019, 11:29 AM
Post #668

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

https://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/accesso...tor-bracket-kit
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 3 2019, 10:19 PM
Post #669

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 3 2019, 09:50 AM) *

My manifold is flipped so let me know if I can help. Also check out ThePaintedMan's thread. He has some good pics of how he did it.

I have been checking out your thread...thanks for the tip on ThePaintedMan's. His pictures with notes filled in a few blanks.

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 3 2019, 12:29 PM) *

That is a great kit, we are using it on Grey.

+Quote Post
Aerostatwv
post Jan 4 2019, 05:40 AM
Post #670

Member No.: 13,315

Looks great Scott! Will you have PorSTi at Okteenerfest this year?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 4 2019, 08:54 AM
Post #671

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 3 2019, 10:19 PM) *

I have been checking out your thread...thanks for the tip on ThePaintedMan's. His pictures with notes filled in a few blanks.

Yes I can give you a pretty good idea of what to do and one or two things not to do. Fairly detailed discussion so PM me when you're ready and I can give you my $.02. I might be pulling the engine to do a final cleanup of wiring and the engine bay which will allow me to take some better pics.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 4 2019, 12:57 PM
Post #672

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Jan 4 2019, 06:40 AM) *

Looks great Scott! Will you have PorSTi at Okteenerfest this year?

There is a pretty good chance that I will be able to make it with PorSTi this year.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 4 2019, 09:54 AM) *

Yes I can give you a pretty good idea of what to do and one or two things not to do. Fairly detailed discussion so PM me when you're ready and I can give you my $.02. I might be pulling the engine to do a final cleanup of wiring and the engine bay which will allow me to take some better pics.

Will do, Thanks!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 5 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #673

Scott the flip is not hard, some of the stuff just needs to moved to make it happen, like we talked about. Once you see the EG you will know. The IRIS system is what clutters up the flip.

I don't think You're going to have an issue with it. It is very easy if Mark is not going to have AC in the car, becomes harder if Mark is.

Workshop is looking great, let me know if there is anything you need from me to help these along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Yeah I know of 5 little round items you need all ready (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 5 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #674

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Scott the flip is not hard, some of the stuff just needs to moved to make it happen, like we talked about. Once you see the EG you will know. The IRIS system is what clutters up the flip.

I don't think You're going to have an issue with it. It is very easy if Mark is not going to have AC in the car, becomes harder if Mark is.

Workshop is looking great, let me know if there is anything you need from me to help these along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Yeah I know of 5 little round items you need all ready (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

I don’t want to turn this into a thread for my car but...I do want a/c & heat. I was hoping the bulkhead mount might make things a bit easier with positioning but that might not be the case. My plan is not to micromanage the build but to turn it over to Scott A and let him do his thing. The only challenge I see with the build is Scott likes to build to a high standard for both looks and functionality and I’m looking for a good running conversion but not a showcase car. I’m sure it will work out. The nice thing is with my car is there is no fresh paint to worry about.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 5 2019, 05:33 PM
Post #675

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Fresh paint, and yes this is about PorSTI, we just started talking about EG33 intake flips. I am a huge proponent that the bulkhead mounts for the EG, if anything it allows for even better positioning of the engine giving the clearance needed for the flip.

Mark I am sure a build thread will be started to discuss your car, once the process starts.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 23 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #676

That's opposite lock!!

After getting Grey Matter Back to Tom and the C10 back on the road I found myself wandering aimlessly around the garage. Then this stuff showed up this week.

Attached Image

I guess that it is time to open up the engine and see if I did any damage when I started it sans oil. Need to figure out if I can order standard clearance components this week so that I can take advantage of all of the sales on Cyber Monday.

Gratuitous shop shot.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 25 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #677

I see some bare floor space that I should fill with lots of parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 26 2019, 10:39 PM
Post #678

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 25 2019, 07:33 PM) *

I see some bare floor space that I should fill with lots of parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Don't worry, I took care of the free floor space problem.

Attached Image

Looks like some sort of demented satanic ritual circle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

In preparation for the engine disassembly and general tidiness I went through the random collection of parts and fasteners that was strewn around the garage. That let me into the random collection of stuff in the drawers. Three days later and I am almost finished.

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 14 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #679

That's opposite lock!!

Wow, been a while since I updated this protect. While it is still not on the road quite a bit has occured.

Engine Rebuild!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Initial plan was rods and pistons as it already had ARP headstuds...that got derailed when I found a crack in one of the bores. A few winters ago I had significantly diluted coolant in the system and I am guessing that it actually froze causing the crack.

Attached Image

With that found a new block was ordered and while I was at it, new crank, stiffer valve springs, Ti retainers, and 11mm oil pump and kevlar timing belt to handle the 8k rpm redline.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Also modified a few things to clean up the install a bit.

Added a AN drain.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Redid the turbo oil feed.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Who doesn't need a twin disk clutch?

Attached Image

Mostly back together.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 14 2021, 07:21 PM
Post #680

That's opposite lock!!

Also did some chassis stuff.

Raised rear shock mounts.

Custom adapters to maximize the height of the top of the shock. Goal is to keep the springs in the perches when i jack it up.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The car is getting fast/stiff enough that a cage for safety and chassis rigitity is necessary. Will be a 10ish point cage eventually. Being a street car I am going to extremes to keep the cage as tight as possible to the existing structure. Step one in that, remove the pinch weld on the targa bar.

Attached Image

I am designing the cage in CAD and it took three tries to get used to the bender/SW but I think that this is as tight as I can possibly get it.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Of course this deleted the rear top latch so I am working on an alternative.

Attached Image

The rear trunk hinges were nasty so new ones.

Attached Image

I got sick of fighting with the lugs on the trunk mounts while installing the hinges so I modified them.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 32 33 34 35 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:07 AM