Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
ptb
post Sep 10 2007, 06:52 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,823

Any updates?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charliew
post Sep 10 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

QUOTE(fat73 @ Jul 19 2007, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jul 18 2007, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(fat73 @ Jul 18 2007, 09:23 PM) *

Scott

Is this engine a "drive by wire" throttle body? Wondering why you swapped out the steering wheel? I'm building an '02 stock body also. Thinking of going twin turbo and moving the turbos back to the rear end similar to a 935.

Ed aka W9R1
'73 914 w/2003 WRX EJ20
'06 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT

MUCH better off sticking w/ common Scooby stuff. You know it will work, what turbo works w/ what motor etc.

I'm waiting for my 8CM TD06-20G to show up along w/ a new intercooler. Should be over 350HP at the wheels, going to try for 400 on C-16 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

BJH

Precisely...but what about using one of the (much less expensive) twin turbo'd engines and just moving the turbos down and back to the rear (to avoid having to cut the trunk area), with stock ECU stuff?

By the way....that setup of yours should be crazy stupid fast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Oy yeah...I'm going to the dupont registry magazine meet here in Clearwater this Saturday at 7am to what they call the Cars and Coffee meet.

They have some insane cars show up there from what I've seen on http://www.myspace.com/carsandcoffee

At least one of the other local 914ers is going too. I'll post pics.

Ed aka W9R1

replying on the twin turbo comment. I bought a twin turbo complete setup but after considering all the parts that eventially will go bad and the fact that the ecu can't be reflashed and is setup to run on 98 octane fuel, I've decided to just run a vf39 with wrx style headers with the 20h heads and sti block maybe recammed and with solid lifters. I really wanted to make the tt setup work but there are too many challenges to deal with.

Charlie
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Sep 29 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #83

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

It's been a while since a progress update, unfortunately not so much to report.

Worked a bit on the IC plumbing. Am waiting on some more tubing to arrive so that I can finish it off.

Attached Image

Mounted the throttle sensor this afternoon.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Still need to connect the pedal to the sensor. I will be using some tiny heim joints. Should work out quite well.

With the additional IC tubing on it's way is all of the bends I need to run the radiator lines and the rest of the fuel lines. Lot's-O-plumbing to do yet...

Scott
+Quote Post
Coneatr
post Oct 3 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 8,181

wow! really nice work! I'm in the planning stages of an STI-914 swap myself, but I don't have near the fabrication skills you've demonstrated. Thanks for setting an example!
As for the steering column, is that necessary? I'm building mine as an autox/track day (not street legal) car, so turn signals and such are irrelevant, but I'll need the wipers working - is it possible to leave the porsche wiper controls as 'stand alone', if you will?
I'm also eagerly watching your pedal/drive-by-wire set up as that was a concern of mine.

PS - ever thought of fabbing up a couple more of those exhaust systems and selling them?? its beautiful! nicely done!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Oct 4 2007, 07:57 AM
Post #85

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(Coneatr @ Oct 3 2007, 02:29 PM) *

wow! really nice work! I'm in the planning stages of an STI-914 swap myself, but I don't have near the fabrication skills you've demonstrated. Thanks for setting an example!
As for the steering column, is that necessary? I'm building mine as an autox/track day (not street legal) car, so turn signals and such are irrelevant, but I'll need the wipers working - is it possible to leave the porsche wiper controls as 'stand alone', if you will?
I'm also eagerly watching your pedal/drive-by-wire set up as that was a concern of mine.

PS - ever thought of fabbing up a couple more of those exhaust systems and selling them?? its beautiful! nicely done!

Thank you for the kind words. Building nice parts requires a little patience and the willingness to buy (or borrow) the correct tool for the job.

Lot's of interest in the steering column...It is not required but depending on the ECU you use, you may need to have the RF ID key transponder from the column. I believe that the '04's and earlier do not have that security feature. For the wipers, it would be a lot easier to stay with the stock column/switches. I am going to have to install the Subaru wiper motor into the 914 wiper assembly.

I don't think that anybody would be willing to pay what I would need to get in order for it to be worth my time to make another exhaust system. When I eventually upgrade transmissions and put a bigger turbo on the car I will put the current setup up for sale.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 4 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #86

That's opposite lock!!

Work has been continuing at a slow although constant pace. The most interesting development was made yesterday when I connected the pedal to the sensor. Still need to clean up the brackets and make a pedal stop but...at least I know that I got the pedal ratio and feel right.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Worked on the filter/intake. I had to shorten the ebay silicone part quite a bit. Will make a better mount than a zip tie when the engine comes out next.

Attached Image

Had to take some time off from working on the car to make a birthday "candle" for my Grandmother's 90th birthday. The cake is actually a wood box that we frosted. Yes, there are 90 holes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif)

Attached Image

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 4 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #87

That's opposite lock!!

Also spent some time on the radiator plumbing.

Attached Image

and fuel filter/pump plumbing.

Attached Image

Scott
+Quote Post
fat73
post Nov 5 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #88

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

Scott....Very nice work.

What fuel pump are you using? Also, I see you're sing a fuel cell so it may not matter, but on my WRX conversion (stock tank) I had to tee both the outlet and the return line together into 1/2" fuel line to allow enough fuel flow to the fuel pump (928 Bosche), and weld a return bung into the tank. Just wondering....these engines require ALOT of fuel flow and I was told without the overkill I would get fuel starvation.

Ed aka W9R1
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 5 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #89

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(fat73 @ Nov 5 2007, 09:04 AM) *

Scott....Very nice work.

What fuel pump are you using? Also, I see you're sing a fuel cell so it may not matter, but on my WRX conversion (stock tank) I had to tee both the outlet and the return line together into 1/2" fuel line to allow enough fuel flow to the fuel pump (928 Bosche), and weld a return bung into the tank. Just wondering....these engines require ALOT of fuel flow and I was told without the overkill I would get fuel starvation.

Ed aka W9R1

Ed,
I am using a Walbro 255 l/hr. It should be good for just over 500hp. With 3/8" lines to and from the engine, I should have plenty of fuel.

Also, a while back we were discussing alternator belts via PM. Did you ever find out what part number was for your alternator only belt accessory belt?

Scott
+Quote Post
charliew
post Nov 5 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #90

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Amenson @ Nov 5 2007, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(fat73 @ Nov 5 2007, 09:04 AM) *

Scott....Very nice work.

Ed aka W9R1

Ed,
I am using a Walbro 255 l/hr. It should be good for just over 500hp. With 3/8" lines to and from the engine, I should have plenty of fuel.

Also, a while back we were discussing alternator belts via PM. Did you ever find out what part number was for your alternator only belt accessory belt?

Scott

Hi Scott, I don't know if it will help but I bought the alt. brkt and belt from outback and the belt measures about 12.625 if you squeeze it together and the part #s are AC Delco 5K275 and a longer # of 88932567, it's a 5 rib belt. Also on the fuel line thing I run a 350hp ram jet in a k5 blazer and it starves for fuel at 5k in high gear with 3/8 fuel lines I thought 3/8 was big enough but I wish now I would have gone with 1/2 it's a lot of work to do over.
Charliew
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 7 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #91

Member No.: 7,635

HOLY COW!!! Man I like your system, because I live in Arizona and I have done it exactly the same way without even seeing your thread till today. I honestly thought I was the first to use Small Car Performance mounts with my own custom crossbar. I made my own so i could put the engine as low as possible than using the stock bar. (I have the older transmission in great shifting condition) Cool now i know its possible for the sideshift too!! I did unfortuneately buy the wrong shortened OIL pan from a sandrail, that was cut at just the wrong angle. Oh well, thats my next purchase. Intake throttle body had to be shortened so it could fit without cutting rear trunk area. Once done and using a turbo tight 90 degree silicone bend....fits Perfect!! Dude its kinda wierd!! I even have the exact same fuel pump and pre and after filters, bought them from Arizona TPI.

I have to tell you though, mine is a ej25 naturally aspirated NON-TURBO and its killer!! 165 stock, but mine is about 180 due to free flow intake and exhaust. I dont have it dynoed yet but lets just say I have a big problem having the rubber stick to the street. I can break them loose in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd around a corner. My first time out, i hit the gas coming out of a corner and the tires broke loose and I looked like Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift! Awesome drift!! Killer acceleration, LOVE IT. Yours is going to be killer. I cant imagine another 45 HP.

My setup bolts up just like yours and doesnt modify the car at all except the front for the radiator.

I am using the Link ECU at Linkecu.com The G3 is the model. Works Killer and total programamble with laptop, cant wait for the dyno to get a few more horses!!

Here are some pics of my car

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 7 2007, 02:04 AM
Post #92

engine bay

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 7 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Nov 7 2007, 01:04 AM) *

engine bay

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 7 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #94

engine bay

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 7 2007, 02:09 AM
Post #95

underneath engine / custom bar that bolts right up to small car performance mounts with no mods to them

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 7 2007, 02:11 AM
Post #96

once again wrong oil pan ordered. Have to get outbacks special mid engine one.

Outback Headers stubs straight through to Patrick Motorsports Stainless cans in the back and Supertrapps tied on the ends of them so the neighbors dont get too irritated, and so that I can swap out the restriction when i need to. They are somewhat quiet with the 12 supetrap plates, and a little above normal with 6 plates. THe more backpressure, its crazy how much my torque goes up, and with the Link ECU i can program them for both setups so i am not running too rich or lean. Its as easy as pluggin in the laptop and selecting the other .pcl map file for the link ecu.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 7 2007, 02:19 AM
Post #97

Front still not complete, hole works fine, just needs to be a little larger to look a little more put together... Oh Renegades radiator, nice setup, no brainer proven setup. Still fairly new....... Anyone have a little advice to get all the air out of the system. I have added water about 10 times so far and still finding air in system. guess it takes that long to work out the bubbles in the lines, etc.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
charliew
post Nov 7 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Nov 7 2007, 03:19 AM) *

Front still not complete, hole works fine, just needs to be a little larger to look a little more put together... Oh Renegades radiator, nice setup, no brainer proven setup. Still fairly new....... Anyone have a little advice to get all the air out of the system. I have added water about 10 times so far and still finding air in system. guess it takes that long to work out the bubbles in the lines, etc.

Budman, You did a nice job on your conversion. I appreciate the pictures of your swap. I also am planning the turbo subie swap but with a subie tranny. Oh yeah the motor Scott is using is stock with 300 hp, thats 145 more hp. actually. With a little tuning and better intake and exhaust it's even more.
Charliew
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 10 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #99

That's opposite lock!!

Budman,
Great looking conversion! Do you have the engine solid mounted? How is the engine vibration? Any cracking issues? How much does it weigh?

Charliew,
Thanks for the belt info.

Scott
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Nov 10 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #100

Engine is solid bolted to engine bar and when driving just as much vibration as stock. Remember i am still running stock motor mounts on the sides and stock trans mounts (not solid).....Screams.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:32 PM