Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shift coupler orientation, vs
smdubovsky
post Aug 15 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,837
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I replaced a bunch of shift bushings and adjusted the shifter the other night. But, I was suprised to see how the side shift works. (You must excuse me, I've only worked on taildraggers to this point) It twists the shaft by moving it side to side. I understand that the factory orientation of the shift coupler has the set screw pointing down. (This is a pic I stole from Mueller - ignore the extension for the V8)

Attached Image

This allows the motor/chassis to flex up/down but puts the shaft in a mild bind when in 1/R or 4/5 planes. Does anyone else notice this? It looks to me like the application is screaming for a helicopter/apex coupler:

Attached Image

Anyone ever done it? Since my car has the side shift conversion, I could just fab a straight rod, weld the coupler to it, and weld a boss to the other side of the coupler to tap for the cone screw - like Mueller did for the V8 adapter. On the tranny end, I could turn a rod to the right OD, and drill a hole to receive the set screw that goes back there.

Look to me like it would take up the misalignment in both planes and make the shifting more precise. Also looks easy to do. Anyone BTDT? I've installed a rennshift, but the side-to-side vaugeness could still be improved...

Tnx!
SMD

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
smdubovsky   Shift coupler orientation   Aug 15 2006, 09:16 AM
Mueller   you can buy those already machined from WEVO or Sm...   Aug 15 2006, 09:21 AM
Bleyseng   If you are running solid engine/tranny mounts this...   Aug 15 2006, 09:25 AM
brant   SMD, shhh... thats a secret (its being done on ...   Aug 15 2006, 09:28 AM
Cap'n Krusty   "I replaced a bunch of shift bushings and adj...   Aug 15 2006, 09:57 AM
smdubovsky   Mueller, Tnx. I'm familiar w/ the wevo bits, ...   Aug 15 2006, 10:10 AM
brant  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:51 AM