Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT: aerodynamics and object on cop cars, Who's right, me or co-worker?
914rrr
post Aug 15 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 874
Region Association: South East States

A new product / electronic device my employer is developing is packaged in an aluminum enclosure that is roughly 10'' square. One intended use for this product is a mobile application, mounted to the roof of vehicles like police cars.

I say that the enclosure needs to be sustantially smaller and more aerodynamic, and that it would create substantial aerodynamic drag which could limit top speeds. I also have visions of it breaking loose from the the roof of a vehicle at speeds in excess of 100 MPH.

My co-worker / project manager says that the size of the device is fine and that a 300 HP cruiser will hardly notice the difference.

Who's right?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 15 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Light bars are bigger than that. But then they have been getting smaller and more aerodynamic, probably for a reason.

The real answer is anything that adds to the cross sectional area of a car will increase drag, reducing top speed. How many horsepower is irrelavent. The top speed is where you've run out of horsepower, and increasing drag will make you run out sooner.

The real question is: By how much? And how much is OK? How much is too much?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 15 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

what kind of cop car, where on the roof, type of attachment (suction, magnets, velcro?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 15 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #4

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Put it into dome shaped inclosure. That way the aerodynamic drag will not be a factor. Also will offer a lower profile/less chance on being damaged while the cruiser is parked at a call. It will lessen the blocking of the light bar.

Ever see the size of automatic digital satellite dishs on motorhomes? The first ones were in a pod about 3'round
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Aug 15 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 15 2006, 03:25 PM) *

Light bars are bigger than that. But then they have been getting smaller and more aerodynamic, probably for a reason.

The real answer is anything that adds to the cross sectional area of a car will increase drag, reducing top speed. How many horsepower is irrelavent. The top speed is where you've run out of horsepower, and increasing drag will make you run out sooner.

That's pretty much what I thought. Anybody have a weblink that states something like that, formulas, etc.? My co-worker will probably dispute ''...my bud on the 914club list sez you're wrong..." nanner nanner nanner! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Aug 15 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 15 2006, 04:25 PM) *

I'd venture a guess that top speed in a crown victoria is probably at about 80, where the suspension gets so mushy that it impossible to steer..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It will lower the top speed of the car, but probably not enough that anyone will notice. What it might do, is add noise - and possibly get ripped off the roof. Aero forces quadruple as speed doubles, so for the price of something vaguely aerodynamic - it's not something to totally ignore.

Here's what I think the kicker is tho - most police or city departments are in a constant cash crunch - and you will definately make the fuel economy worse with this (anyone with a Yakima rack has experienced this!). So I think that fuel economy is probably the best justification for spending an extra 10 minutes to put your appliance in something vaguely aerodynamic.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Aug 15 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

why not just mount it somewhere OTHER than on top?

+Quote Post
914rrr
post Aug 15 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:28 PM) *

Put it into dome shaped inclosure. That way the aerodynamic drag will not be a factor. Also will offer a lower profile/less chance on being damaged while the cruiser is parked at a call. It will lessen the blocking of the light bar.

Ever see the size of automatic digital satellite dishs on motorhomes? The first ones were in a pod about 3'round

My contention precisely. They want to put all of the electronics in the box, I say put it in something smaller and more tubular shaped and mount the electronics elsewhere.
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Aug 15 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 15 2006, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 15 2006, 04:25 PM) *

I'd venture a guess that top speed in a crown victoria is probably at about 80, where the suspension gets so mushy that it impossible to steer..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It will lower the top speed of the car, but probably not enough that anyone will notice. What it might do, is add noise - and possibly get ripped off the roof. Aero forces quadruple as speed doubles, so for the price of something vaguely aerodynamic - it's not something to totally ignore.

Here's what I think the kicker is tho - most police or city departments are in a constant cash crunch - and you will definately make the fuel economy worse with this (anyone with a Yakima rack has experienced this!). So I think that fuel economy is probably the best justification for spending an extra 10 minutes to put your appliance in something vaguely aerodynamic.

I used the 'roof rack reducing fuel mileage' example, and he didn't buy it. He's an EE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Any weblinks to back me up? I can probably find the " ..Aero forces quadruple as speed doubles..'' pretty easily tho'.
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Aug 15 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 15 2006, 03:27 PM) *

what kind of cop car, where on the roof, type of attachment (suction, magnets, velcro?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

A:

average variety cop car

facing forward, in the center or on the outer edges pointing at a 45 degree angle

I really hope that the mount will be permanent (they were originally pushing for a magnetic mount and I LOUDLY protested).
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Aug 15 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:39 PM) *

why not just mount it somewhere OTHER than on top?

Gotta be on the top, it is an imaging device...and customers want it there.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 15 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #12

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Rob,

This guy doesn't know that 914 owners know everything and are always right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The guy must be a jerk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Paul
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Aug 15 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #13

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 110

First of all, a Crown Vic will do way over 80 even my old 88 SSP would do over 115 with a pretty tired 175hp 351. They handle pretty well too, mushy isn't a word you'd use to describe it, take a look under one at the sway bars next time you are near. (I know you were joking, but don’t sell them short)

As for how much it will reduce the top speed probably depends on the particular car (Crown Vic, Charger, Intrepid, Impala, Tahoe?). When slick tops became all the rage, it was tested and pretty universally a light bar took 10-15 mph off the top end. Google should turn up some technical information. I suspect that with the smaller light bars available now and the higher horsepower cars it would be lower.

I think you are going to run up against a good bit of resistance to bolting a box to the top of a police car... I'd suggest your project manager should have some pretty concrete documentation that it will not reduce the top speed or it is going to be a non starter...

JMHO
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 15 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #14

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(914rrr @ Aug 15 2006, 04:52 PM) *

I really hope that the mount will be permanent (they were originally pushing for a magnetic mount and I LOUDLY protested).

I can show you the nice scab I have on my forehead from the magnetic mount trailer lights I got this weekend........

Semi passes me and blows the lights off the back of the bus (the rough road helped)....next guy behind the semi pulls up and motions behind....I look in the mirrors and see them dancing along the highway.....I stop and see what I can salvage...... both red lenses gone and one magnetic base.......put lights back up on roof and the one that lost the magnetic swings down and hits me ...blood streaming down my face while standing on the side of I20.......Tell the EE to bolt it to the light bar.............
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 16 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #15

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 15 2006, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Aug 15 2006, 04:52 PM) *

I can show you the nice scab I have on my forehead from the magnetic mount trailer lights I got this weekend........

Semi passes me and blows the lights off the back of the bus (the rough road helped)....next guy behind the semi pulls up and motions behind....I look in the mirrors and see them dancing along the highway.....I stop and see what I can salvage...... both red lenses gone and one magnetic base.......put lights back up on roof and the one that lost the magnetic swings down and hits me ...blood streaming down my face while standing on the side of I20.......Tell the EE to bolt it to the light bar.............

damn bruce watch out for darwin!
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Aug 16 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #16

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 15 2006, 07:23 PM) *

Rob,

This guy doesn't know that 914 owners know everything and are always right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The guy must be a jerk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Paul

Does your co-worker drive an ass-dragger??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I may be one of the younger memebers here, but I took basic aviation and what not in high school back in the day(a few years ago). I dont remember the #'s or equations, but the smallest things can make a difference.

If you want another example to show/tell him about, tell him about why racers like 935 mirrors and put a pic in his face. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Aug 16 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #17

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(DuckRyder @ Aug 15 2006, 07:58 PM) *

First of all, a Crown Vic will do way over 80 even my old 88 SSP would do over 115 with a pretty tired 175hp 351. They handle pretty well too, mushy isn't a word you'd use to describe it, take a look under one at the sway bars next time you are near. (I know you were joking, but don’t sell them short)

Yeah - I was just kidding. I figured they must be at least midly potent since they are used by nearly all US Law Enforcement Officials... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Fuel economy reduction from roof racks is variously quoted as between 5% and 10%. The 10% came from somone's real experiences with an Audi. The feds claim 5%: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/planning.shtml
+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 16 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #18

realty check casher

Member No.: 6,273

QUOTE(914rrr @ Aug 15 2006, 04:05 PM) *

A new product / electronic device my employer is developing is packaged in an aluminum enclosure that is roughly 10'' square. One intended use for this product is a mobile application, mounted to the roof of vehicles like police cars.

Am I the only want curious about what this device is/for? Is this actually being mounted on a police cruiser? Or was that hypothetical? Is it one of those off duty lights which read "out for doughnuts" or somethig like that? If it's some kind of speed enforcement tool, are we letting the fox in the hen house?

I just loves conspiracy theories (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) It's from all those years I spent listening to people's phone conversations without their knowledge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

BenT
+Quote Post
914 dror
post Aug 16 2006, 01:59 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,495

You are selling so you got to look at your selling points!
1)if it’s big & ugly cops wont like it
2)if its not aerodynamic its bound to make whistling noises at high speed - cops wont like it
3)if its big & heavy when car is being ruff driven on a chase bumping other car...
The object will pick allot of momentum - would brake loose - cops wont like it.
4)fuel economy? I don’t know, do cops pay it out of their on pocket??? Not a selling point.
5)top speed? is this cops racing? do cops use their cars top speed often?
not a big selling point.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 16 2006, 04:39 AM
Post #20

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Do you happen to work for G2 Tactics?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:29 PM