Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2 day AX @ Marina Aug 26th and 27th, Who's going?
DanT
post Sep 3 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #41

Going back to the Dark Side!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 3 2006, 09:50 AM) *

I have always been impressed by Larry's driving. He is the one AX driver I watch very closely for lines, power application, etc. Man! he beat some very impressive cars in his little old 911. He'd be one of the people who would benefit from a cold day due to his great driving. Is he still on Avons? Perhaps those tires work better in cold conditions as well?

I have experienced the same cold tire syndrome at Marina on cool days. My last time out at Marina I couldnt get my tires any warmer than about 90 degrees - it was like being on ice skates. About only cure for my car is to hope for a rerun or that the sun comes out. Sounds like the first day was warmer ...That makes all the difference in the world. I did find that Yokohama A032 Softs worked well on cold days there.

Larry's car is not really a "little old 911"....2.7RS spec motor....custom valved Sport Bilstiens, very aggressive alignment, and he is running 710s this year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
But you are correct....Larry is a very good driver....He competed in SCCA in a Ford Focus a few years ago and learned a lot of stuff... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 4 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 3 2006, 01:11 PM) *

I have always been impressed by Larry's driving. He is the one AX driver I watch very closely for lines, power application, etc. Man! he beat some very impressive cars in his little old 911. He'd be one of the people who would benefit from a cold day due to his great driving. Is he still on Avons? Perhaps those tires work better in cold conditions as well?

I have experienced the same cold tire syndrome at Marina on cool days. My last time out at Marina I couldnt get my tires any warmer than about 90 degrees - it was like being on ice skates. About only cure for my car is to hope for a rerun or that the sun comes out. Sounds like the first day was warmer ...That makes all the difference in the world. I did find that Yokohama A032 Softs worked well on cold days there.

Larry's car is not really a "little old 911"....2.7RS spec motor....custom valved Sport Bilstiens, very aggressive alignment, and he is running 710s this year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
But you are correct....Larry is a very good driver....He competed in SCCA in a Ford Focus a few years ago and learned a lot of stuff... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Amen to that Dan.

I figured out how effective Larry's car is up at a Redwood Region autox. My friend Pat Costin was there driving the Orange Machine and Larry was there as well.

Pat got Larry in the morning and Larry got Pat back in the PM. Costin is a good driver and knows how to get the Orange Machine around a course. When he and Larry bumped heads I realized Larry's car had some serious development. I already knew that Larry could drive.

Every time I ride in Pat's car I am amazed at how quick it moves.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 4 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #43

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 4 2006, 09:05 AM) *

Amen to that Dan.

I figured out how effective Larry's car is up at a Redwood Region autox. My friend Pat Costin was there driving the Orange Machine and Larry was there as well.

Pat got Larry in the morning and Larry got Pat back in the PM. Costin is a good driver and knows how to get the Orange Machine around a course. When he and Larry bumped heads I realized Larry's car had some serious development. I already knew that Larry could drive.

Still not bad for an AX6 class car on 8" and 7" wheels that is driven on the street to the event. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I really need to get rid of my wide 9" rims how does a well sorted 2.7 RS spec 911 get in AX6 and my 914-6 with a lowly stock 911 E engine get into AX3?
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 4 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #44

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 4 2006, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 4 2006, 09:05 AM) *

Amen to that Dan.

Still not bad for an AX6 class car on 8" and 7" wheels that is driven on the street to the event. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I really need to get rid of my wide 9" rims how does a well sorted 2.7 RS spec 911 get in AX6 and my 914-6 with a lowly stock 911 E engine get into AX3?

Ah Grant, now you have found the wonder of our new points system.

First of all you spot him 50 points right out of the gate...then you get dinged for flaired fenders, fiberglass deck lid and bumpers, points for 2.4 instead of 2.0, 175 points just for your wheel sizes and it goes on and on.

Larry's car has a 2.7L RS motor....he does not get points for increase in CCs since a '74 carrera had a 2.7L motor stock...he gets nailed for carbs, cams etc. he runs stock rim sizes and no flairs or other body mods like your car....

.....and the fun continues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

This is why Bill Dally has submitted some rules (points) changes for Boxsters and 914s to eliminate some of the percieved inequalities.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 7 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Results from Saturday (08/26/06 (Sat)) are here: http://lpr.pca.org/src/ax.htm
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:15 AM