Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RennShift, Unaffiliated, just one customer's review
drdstny
post Aug 28 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #1

51% extrovert, 49% flatulent

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 4,281

'lo all,

I just wanted to share my impressions of the RennShift. I received mine Saturday and can't stop playing with it!

Folks, this thing is a work of art. It's EXTREMELY well built, looks awesome and feels more solid than anything Brand-X can dream up. The machinery looks aircraft quality, and everything is milled from solid stock--no sheet metal, stampings or welds to wear out, break or otherwise rapidly age.

I ordered mine with the optional PalmScalder, a chrome ball larger than the factory ball that I imagine I'll have to keep a towel over when the car is parked. Come to think of it, that wouldn't be too bad an idea to keep the curious from trying to rip it off.

The shifter came disassembled, and assembly is trivial and quite a bit of fun. It comes with an automatic reverse-lockout installed and includes a parts & instructions kit to change to a manual lockout. Personally, I don't see why you'd ever need the manual piece but it's nice to know it comes with.

I only have a couple complaints, and they are very minor indeed. One is that I would prefer the unit not be packed in newspaper. I almost lost one of the small bags of parts. Pelespan is pretty cheap and that looks a lot more professional than The Times (plus you can re-use the pelespan). The other is that the instruction manual should indicate the correct orientation of the shifter body onto the floor plate because it could be mounted backwards if you are a giddy Christmas-morning kid hamfisting your way to assembly. The instructions should also indicate that the automatic lockout is already installed so you don't panic and think your lockout parts kit is incomplete. Again: if I had taken my time to examine documentation, I would not have completely freaked out.

I LOVE this shifter! I am really happy with it in every way and can't wait to find out if I prefer 25% or 33% throw reduction.

I've been on the fence about getting the shifter for about a year, and I finally gave in and ponied up. If you want to improve your drive quality and elilminate shifter-calibration headaches, you NEED this shifter.

I received no compensation of any kind for this endorsement, but endorse them I will wholeheartedly.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 31 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The RennShift is awesome!

...moved to the garage...
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 31 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

i have a gen 1, and love it. the simplicity factor is why i like it over gen 2. less setup time, and clean, short, consistent shifts everytime.....

+Quote Post
jfort
post Sep 1 2006, 06:15 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have one of the first ones, too. It, coupled with new bushings, has resulted in the best shifting Porsche I have ever had.
+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post Sep 1 2006, 07:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,449

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) Need to see the biger ball. I have that on the top of my Christmas list

Cheers
+Quote Post
JWest
post Sep 1 2006, 07:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

QUOTE(drdstny @ Aug 28 2006, 07:54 PM) *

One is that I would prefer the unit not be packed in newspaper. I almost lost one of the small bags of parts.

Sorry, you caught me on an off day when I got behind on my packing materials. I usually use craft paper and unprinted newsprint paper, as I always hated dealing with popcorn as a consumer.

The other is that the instruction manual should indicate the correct orientation of the shifter body onto the floor plate because it could be mounted backwards if you are a giddy Christmas-morning kid hamfisting your way to assembly.

It is in the instructions, but I guess it needs to be made more prominent.

The instructions should also indicate that the automatic lockout is already installed so you don't panic and think your lockout parts kit is incomplete. Again: if I had taken my time to examine documentation, I would not have completely freaked out.

Another change to the instructions...

Thanks for the feedback. The shifter developed into what it is because of what customers have requested and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know how to make the product better.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:18 AM