Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another day at the track, Not to shabby...
campbellcj
post Mar 2 2003, 09:56 PM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Another gorgeous SoCal day in the high desert. In the morning it was mid-30's and a bit windy (brrr), but after the sun came up and the wind died down, perfect.

I beat my personal best at the Streets of Willow by .7 secs. We were running counter-clockwise today, which is generally thought to be a bit faster than clockwise. In my case, it definitely was. I used 5th gear all the way down the front straight and was well over 100mph even in my "slow" car. In timed runs, I was a bit slower than my fastest pace of the day, but was almost identical to my timed runs from the last event -- which is pretty good news I suppose (consistency).

Other than my crappy Kumho tires, which I bought full-tread and am now having squirming, greasiness and marble/migration issues with, no drama with my car. It pulled hard and hooked up pretty well all day. I still may have a brake bias issue but it could be the tires too -- the car feels great under power but is very squirrely under hard braking.

Oh yeah...I did miss 1 shift, grabbing 2nd instead of 4th for a split-second. Fortunately I reacted very quickly and didn't fully engage the clutch; no detectable damage...whew.

There were at least 4 new lap records set today, including the overall track record of 1:09.6 set by John "Otto" Williamson in the "Rudy" white 914-6 beast. The car recently returned from some dyno tuning at Jerry Wood's shop, and is also sporting new JRZ's and a few other tweaks. It is scary fast -- he says there is a lot left in the car, and plans to see a 1:07 lap by the end of the year. (Bear in mind that's 15 seconds a lap quicker than I'm turning in a 2.4/four car - yikes). Congrats Otto... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Nope, I didn't win my class. The only other car was not a POC regular that I seriously doubt really belonged in my class. My car is maxed out on mod points, and this guy had a bigger engine (easily 70hp on me), more brakes, more tires, and ran about 4-5 secs a lap quicker than me all day. Oh well; he's not running for championship points AFAIK. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 2 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I assume you finished 2nd in class,eh?

Are these time trials or actual racin'?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 3 2003, 12:03 AM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Yep, 2nd out of 2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Even with ~100 cars (5 run groups) the class breakdown is fine enough in POC where many of them have 0-3 cars.

Actually today was a little bit extra "interesting". There were gobs of students invited by Pacific Porsche (the old Vasek Polak dealership) to drive their new 986/996 cars. Most of these guys had brand new cars and zero track experience. I was asked to instruct and politely declined...shortly thereafter, there was a near-mishap between a 993tt and a Boxster "S".

There was also a pair of young furrin' guys with a modded 996tt. Apparently it had a light switch throttle/turbo setup; prolly 500hp or so, who knows. First time these guys had ever driven in a performance setting (not even autox). Holy schmoly. Good thing those cars have some serious BRAKES.

This is time-trial stuff. POC has 3 types of events. This is the "slowest" one, although as I mentioned, I was doing about 105 (indicated) and some cars (Otto) significantly more. He said he was at the top of his short 5th gear, turning 8200 rpm's (in a 3.8RSR powered 914), at the end of the front straight...woohoo
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:21 AM