Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GGR AX #7 at Alameda, Saturday Sept. 9
ConeDodger
post Sep 5 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #21

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 5 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Yeah, I remember the June Alameda AX. The course was very tough for me to read. And for others as well. 26 out of the 107 drivers DNF'd on their first run. 23 out of the 107 DNF'd on their second run and 9 DNF'd on their third run. That's a pretty high DNF rate if you ask me.

Actually that is much worse than I thought. I only ran the stats on the first run for the 107.... Add mine, and that is 27 out of 108. Roughly < 25%. Way beyond acceptable. Not that I can't tolerate a DNF on my own part, it was the scattering course workers that scared me.

I just went to the GGR website and checked results for the other events this year. OK, I admit it. I went down for the bad event of the year. Other results don't show that kind of DNF rate.

Nuff bad mouthing GGR... I am probably in. 6 cylinder if I am feeling sassy!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 5 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 5 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Yeah, I remember the June Alameda AX. The course was very tough for me to read. And for others as well. 26 out of the 107 drivers DNF'd on their first run. 23 out of the 107 DNF'd on their second run and 9 DNF'd on their third run. That's a pretty high DNF rate if you ask me.

I just thought I was having a bad days since I DNF'd on 3 of my runs, sucked on 2 runs, put down a decent 7th run that got me 4th overall for the day, then sat out my final run with a flat tire.

Overall, that course was close to my least favorite ever at Alameda. It was just too right angle for my tastes and didn't flow at all.

It's always tough on the course designers. I know that this year, there have been more courses designed by a diverse number of people, so there probably is a learning curve. And I do know that early on, a few of the course were not wide enough in certain spots. And it's not just because of I have a wide ass 911. I like the courses that flow and allow you the opportunity to interpret and take different lines, not the courses that lead you by the nose with a sea of tightly spaced cones.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to devote to learning and designing courses (not yet anyway) so I just show up and run what's there. And I do know that people put a ton of effort into putting the AX's on, so I try not to give them too bad of a time.

I'm glad to hear the AX chairs are educating themselves on course design reviews.

That being said....I sure hope it's a 911 course this Saturday! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Bill P.

Sea of Cones = Dark Side Designing (DSD).

The designer is either totally not educated in course design, or simply as the English say, bloody minded. In the latter case these designers really become very annoying as they are simply trying to trick people into failure; again not an objective of good course design.

We want people to learn to drive better; this isn't about getting people to fail.

I also think changing a course during the lunch hour is grounds for the designer to be T&F'd. This gets even worse when the changes aren’t communicated to all people driving, i.e., this non-communication is really dangerous as drivers will be expecting to see one road and surprise surprise there is another. THIS IS REALLY REALLY unsafe.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 5 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #23

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

The designer is either totally not educated in course design, or simply as the English say, bloody minded. In the latter case these designers really become very annoying as they are simply trying to trick people into failure; again not an objective of good course design.

We want people to learn to drive better; this isn't about getting people to fail.

I also think changing a course during the lunch hour is grounds for the designer to be T&F'd. This gets even worse when the changes aren’t communicated to all people driving, i.e., this non-communication is really dangerous as drivers will be expecting to see one road and surprise surprise there is another. THIS IS REALLY REALLY unsafe.

Not to mention it becomes 2 AXs in one day. Definitely a protestable situation....

I would not be too happy if I was only at an AX for the AM sessions and left with a nice time cushion and then found the course had been changed...yielding a simpler (read faster) course for the PM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Once the course is changed in any way....it becomes a different course, negating all runs and times on the old course...
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 5 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 5 2006, 08:39 PM) *

Not to mention it becomes 2 AXs in one day. Definitely a protestable situation....

I would not be too happy if I was only at an AX for the AM sessions and left with a nice time cushion and then found the course had been changed...yielding a simpler (read faster) course for the PM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Once the course is changed in any way....it becomes a different course, negating all runs and times on the old course...

Right.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 6 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #25

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Good news I will have the 914-6, but still be on those crappy old ice skates called Victoracers. Those tires piss me off because they are huge but dont grip in AX due to their size (cant get heat in them in one lap). I think I have this AX left on the Victoracers before I mount the Kuhmo 710's. This will mean I have big fat new 710's for Laguna Seca! I can only imagine what having a fresh 265/45/16 710 will be like coming down the cork screw.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 6 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #26

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

This is good news, as I thought you would have fresh rubber and therefore be untouchable.

I may bring my 710's for the afternoon runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Sep 6 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #27

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

i'm meeting Grant later that day, but I might swing out to spectate/wrench/take tire temps if I have the time. Would also be happy to deliver FRESH NEW HOOSIERS mounted on 15x6.5" 3-PIECE rims to any AXers...

n

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=59999
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 6 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #28

I do things...

We need more bench racing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/naughty.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 6 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #29

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

I am going to beat you really bad on Saturday Trekkor! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

A very tired type IV is going to whip your fancy 911 motored car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

There, how's that?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 7 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #30

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 6 2006, 10:57 PM) *

I am going to beat you really bad on Saturday Trekkor! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

A very tired type IV is going to whip your fancy 911 motored car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

There, how's that?

Does Trekkor have a new fancy 911 engine? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Last I knew he was drivning an old tired high strung 2.0 six that is terrible for AX. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 7 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #31

I do things...

I'm thinking if I pull a plug wire off each bank, I'll still getcha both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 7 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #32

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 6 2006, 10:57 PM) *

There, how's that?

I am going to smoke all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I should explain that. I took the 4 cylinder out for a drive this evening after installing the Tangerine Headers. Even though I carefully tied the starter cables from the battery out of the way, I still smoked my positive cable from the battery. Smoke pouring out of the engine lid, small amount of flame by the starter. Martin & Alison Baker came out to keep me company while I waited on my Roadside Assistance Tow Truck. Got it home and the only apparent damage besides all of the fire extinguisher powder is the battery cable.

So Yea! I am going to smoke all of you!
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Sep 7 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #33

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

How's this.....

Leave your 914's for the street...If you really want to be a racer, buy a 911...they are sooooo much faster! Watch me lay waste to the mid-engined crowd! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Bill P.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 7 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #34

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

good news for all you guys: my car is still on jackstands! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Sep 7 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #35

Andy,

I'd lower the jackstands another inch. I hear you get less rollover when diving into the corners...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hey...let me know when you want to pick up the oil tank....

When we have another breakfast, I can bring it there as well.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 7 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #36

Resident German

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 7 2006, 10:35 AM) *

Hey...let me know when you want to pick up the oil tank....

actually, i'm going to need this pretty soon, it's almost mockup time!

i could schwing by next week and pick it up ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Sep 7 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #37

Andy,

If you want to stop by the Alameda AX on Saturday, I can bring it with me in the trailer.

Otherwise, we can figure out a time to meet.

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 7 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

I made the setup crew.

Who else is going early up 880?
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Sep 7 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #39

I'm on the tech crew.....

Bill P.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 7 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #40

Resident German

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 7 2006, 01:00 PM) *

If you want to stop by the Alameda AX on Saturday, I can bring it with me in the trailer.

gud plan! i'll stop by before i head up north to napa to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) on my car ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:12 PM