Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine knocking..., I'm going to snap!!
LowGT
post Sep 4 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #1

1.8 and Proud!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,904
Region Association: Southwest Region

Okay, I bought this car a year ago to fix up and drive. I didn't expect things to take this long, which is okay. Murphy's Law I suppose.

The first engine was a mess, so I took it out and replaced head seals and all rubber seals. Afterwards it ran great, leaked like a sieve, and I found I had two stripped out plug threads.

I decided to get a used engine instead of mess with that one. I found one with a little history for a great price. I replaced all the rubber seals on it before installing it, along with a good tranny. Fired it up and it knocks, but doesn't leak at all. I rechecked my valve clearances, they were good. Messed with the timing, wasn't perfect but wasn't severely advanced or retarded either. So I decided to pull a plug wire off one at a time to see if I could narrow it down to one cylinder. When I pulled off 2 and 4 the engine tried to stall and the knock was still there. Then when I pulled 1 and 3, nothing happened. No decrease in rpm, no stumbling, but the knock was still there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I guess I need to do a compression test next.

I'm getting fed up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SGB
post Sep 4 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #2

just visiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Bad ignition can make for a really noisy idle. Try new plugs and wires and a new diz cap too. A compression test will give a lot of clues to whats going on.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 03:32 AM