Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fender issues, Finding more and more bondo
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Oct 27 2003, 03:33 PM
Post #1

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Group: Members
Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

First off....(IMG:http://vwvortex.rely.net/zeroforum_graphics/mad.gif)

Grinding away the material around the front right side marker (obvious bondo there) and as I spread out I'm finding that the bondo continues -- in various thickness, btw -- beyond 6" from the marker. Yes, even sculpting the turn signal lip! The more I grind away the more unevenness I'm finding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) So I've stopped grinding, kind of smoothed out the grinding in case I have to re-bondo the area so I won't have to reform the sharper contours myself.

The right fender was smacked, no doubt about it. Saw it in the headlight damage. So, would putting in a new fender be easier? I have some basic body shaping tools and experience from an automotive restoration class I took for a couple terms from the community college (good experience, I recommend it). My welding experience is above beginner with my MIG -- I don't have the smaller setup necessary for thin sheet metal welding for my oxy-ace. I've assisted some friends with welding a nose on an air-cooled VW (our first time and it was deadperfect! ). It's a little intimidating looking at all the contours and spot welds and seam sealer holding the fender on and I question whether I could do it myself (that's probably my biggest problem right there, self-doubt).

What are your recommendations? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Personally, I like the idea of a new fender: No shaping (hammering, bondo) required, just attach. My experience with fiberglass is limited to just a couple small uses and I would rather have a metal fender instead of a glass one. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Air_Cooled_Nut   Fender issues   Oct 27 2003, 03:33 PM
ArtechnikA  
  Oct 27 2003, 04:19 PM
Hawktel   Thats a question I have! Can you make the Fibe...   Oct 27 2003, 05:58 PM
Air_Cooled_Nut   bump   Oct 28 2003, 03:26 AM
tdgray   No experience with FG Fenders but will put in my ....   Oct 28 2003, 07:17 AM
John Kelly   Hi Toby, If you have some pictures of the damage,...   Oct 28 2003, 07:54 AM
Air_Cooled_Nut   John, your name was brought up by my good friend B...   Oct 28 2003, 01:54 PM
watsonrx13   This post is NOTHING without pics.... :headbang: ...   Oct 28 2003, 04:13 PM
John Kelly  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:26 PM