Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Has anyone heard of this long lost engineless REAL 914 GT in Marin Cou
BenT
post Sep 12 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #81

realty check casher

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,273
Region Association: None

I took a leisurely drive from San Francisco to te Marin Headlands yesterday. The fellow I met with used to work at a Porsche shop on San Rafael. Got a nice score. For $40 I got a pair of passenger side mirrors (no logo markings), pair of used foglights, roof storage clips, turnsignal housings, several boxes of miscellaneuous 914 hardware and switches, old German autoclub badge, etc. etc. Even got Vanagon turnsignal lamps and a taillight. All clean and were in dry storage -- $40.

Anyway, while chatting with this fellow, he mentioned an interesting car he found during his travels in Marin. I don't have a clear recollection of the exact location but I know it's in Marin. It's supposed to be a 914 GT with slightly more than 52 miles on it. The owner was going racing with it so the engine and transmission were removed. The owner got busy with life and the car sat covered in a garage with another Porsche sitting on the top shelf of the lift it was parked under. Over the years, the engine and transaxle got in the way and was sold off. The Owner's business eventually slowed down and he got around to looking over his toys. He then came to the realization that he had really screwed up by selling the drivetrain out of the GT. He was so upset at himself that he has not been able to do anything with the car. So there it sits under the cover still owned by the original purchaser for over 30 years now. The owner is wealthy enough to tell anyone asking to go screw themselves when they try to buy it. However, this old fella is getting -- well old. I don't wish this on anyone but he will pass on to greener racetracks one of these days. The car will likely come up for sale at that time as the guys kids have no interest in it.

It sounds like an important part of 914 history if the tale is accurate. I may need to take another trip to the Headlands to refresh my recollection about the exact location of this jewel. Is this possible? Is there really ay unaccounted for 914 GT floating around? My source appears to be quite knowledgeable about Porsches and is a genuine enthusiast. He has since retired from the car scene so has no further desire to pursue this quarry. I think his rebuffed multiple attempts to purchase was blown off by the owner too many times that he has just given up. He's into old Chevies now.

Fact or fairytale? I can't say right now. It's gotta be worth a bunch even w/o an engine and trans...

BenT
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
BenT   Has anyone heard of this long lost engineless REAL 914 GT in Marin Cou   Sep 12 2006, 07:13 PM
SirAndy  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:12 PM