Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front end shimmy - part 3, I think I have it this time.....
KaptKaos
post Sep 12 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #1

Family

Group: Members
Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Right, so this drama has unfolded over the last 2 weeks that I have this weird shimmy in the front end. I asked for all kinds of advice and tips from you all and you all have responded, so thank you.

Anyway, I had rotated my tires front to back as one of the first things I did to isolate the problem. Still was there. Repacked the bearings. Still there. Tonight I was going to balance the tires and check the tie rods. I have newish (2 years) turbo tie rods, so I was pretty sure it wasn't there.

So I pull the front passenger wheel tonight and put it on the balancer. It starts to spin, and all of a sudden.... WTF was that?!?!?!? Theres a damn bubble in the tread, where the tread is lifting up. Delaminating as some have said. Pissed, I pull the spare, and mount it. I take the car for a ride and the shimmy is pretty much gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

So my friend Tom is with me, asking all kinds of questions about the car (its on a lift and we are under it), and I show him the clutch cable, speedo cable, shift rod, etc... He spins the drivers side rear tire and WTF!!!!!! Remember how I rotated front to back and still had the shimmy? Well, I have two fuchin' tires with bubbles in them. Thats why the shimmy didn't go away when I rotated the tires.

These are newish (less than 7k miles) Bridgestones. I am so pissed. I need to call the shop where I got them tomorrow and see if there is anything that can be done, otherwise, its a letter writing campaign to bridgestone.

Anyone have any experience in this area? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 13 2006, 05:19 AM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Now go buy some Hankooks. and be done with it.

Glad you found it sorry about the tires. Bridgestones are made in Japan and Firestone in USA. Same corporation for what it's worth.

+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Sep 13 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

get some yoko's for the street (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 13 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 13 2006, 09:34 AM) *

get some yoko's for the street (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yoko's suck specially in the ES100 line.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 01:39 PM