Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Going to Italy Sunday, what should we see
TonyAKAVW
post Sep 14 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #1

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

So my wife and I are going to Italy on Sunday for 10 days. We start off in Rome, then up to Florence, and then Modena and then back down along the western coast. The second half of the trip isn't completely figured out yet, so that return back on the coast is up in the air in terms of which cities to stop in.

Any suggestions on things to see? The stop in Modena is my one requirement... It being the location of the Ferrari museum.

-Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Sep 14 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I've only been to Sardenia so I'm not sure. If I was going I would want to see the Coloseum and the Trevi fountain.

Maybe have lunch with the Pope or something.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Sep 14 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

It's been a dream of mine to go to the Bianchi Factory to pickup a new bike then follow the Giro.

Think I might curse myself after a week of living like a hobo on a bike though.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Sep 14 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #4

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Don't take any pictures of the undersides of any cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Sep 14 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,626

Beautiful country!

In Rome things that I would not miss:

Sistine Chapel and tour of Vatican City
Catacombs
Site of Circus Maximus
Ancient Rome Ruins
Coliseum

If you get a chance to go south to Sorento make sure you take a drive on the Almalfi Drive up the coast. Also if the weather is clam a trip to the Blue Grotto on the Island of Carpi is spectacular...and don't forget the ruins of Pompei.

I'm envious! You will have a great time...such a beautiful country with amazing history.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 14 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Sep 14 2006, 10:05 AM) *

So my wife and I are going to Italy on Sunday for 10 days. We start off in Rome, then up to Florence, and then Modena and then back down along the western coast. The second half of the trip isn't completely figured out yet, so that return back on the coast is up in the air in terms of which cities to stop in.

Any suggestions on things to see? The stop in Modena is my one requirement... It being the location of the Ferrari museum.

-Tony

Sounds like a fun trip! Are you driving or going by train? I drove from Lucca over the mountains to Modena, incredible road. The Ferrari museum is nice but not as large as I had expected. I hear you can tour the Maserati factory if you make arrangements.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 14 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I hear following the DaVinci code path is a blast and fun and going to Umbria/Tuscany is nice.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Sep 14 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

When you are in Rome make sure you rent a Vespa or something similar - Make sure you rent one for you and one for your wife - at least a full day if not more...
I spent 17 days in Rome on a job, and have travelled all over the globe for work -
The day and a half on the Vespa was one of the most memorable in my life -

They are about $70 a day each -
+Quote Post
DEC
post Sep 14 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,104
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 14 2006, 09:16 AM) *

Don't take any pictures of the undersides of any cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Sep 14 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #10

Protected by the Swedish Maffia

Member No.: 4,597

one of my swedish friends lives in rom, need a place to stay for free?
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Sep 14 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

If you get near Pompei do your self a favor and go to Herculanium instead, much better and more interesting...spend the $ to hire a student guide, they have keys to the "off limit areas" and new discoveries. If you can, don't miss Venice..especially at this time of year (less tourists) have a Peach Bellini, a gondola ride and take the vaporetto to the islands...especially Burano (the lace island) and eat at the restaurant Gato Negri (black cat) if you like fish order the risotto Goa (sp) it is the best food we had in Italy, including some spectacular stuff in a little town in Tuscany called Impruneta, it was about 4km from our villa and the porcini mushrooms and bistek toscano was amazing....eat whatever they recommend and drink the local wine and beer and you can't go too far wrong. The italians are the friendliest people I've ever encountered....they wanted to help when they didnt even understand what you needed.....fabulous place, I'm jealous. Jim
+Quote Post
BenNC
post Sep 14 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 267

eat, eat, eat

Bear in mind that Italians eat late. Restaurants might not even be open until 8:00 or later. Also, don't expect to rush in, get your food, and rush out. They may only be expecting to seat one party per table each evening.

Drink the limoncello and the grappa. Stay away from Fernet Brancha.

I'm jealous also. I've only been over on business, and have never been able to explore the country.
+Quote Post
Mountain914
post Sep 14 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #13

Too much time in thin air!

Member No.: 725
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you like the night life - the spanish steps in Rome !
Lots of neat things in Rome - really enjoyed looking at all the ruins that were unearthed (ancient collesiums (sp?) and such) - No Rust !!
Too many weirdos in Naples !!
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Sep 14 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Milano. if your wife loves to shop, this town will break you. But talk about beautiful.
+Quote Post
fatlando
post Sep 14 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,700

i lived in Napoli for 3 years. check out the Amalfi coast down south.

Florence is beautiful.

Italy also has the best pizza. It's not americanized.

its oven baked and is just awesome.

leave your passport in the hotel. it will be safe than in your person. also, don't flash your jewelery. DRESS DOWN. DONT WEAR "FANNY PACKS"....

now that i've scared you..... enjoy yourself and enjoy europe!

BTW, they serve beer in Mcdonalds...
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 14 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #16

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

When you are in Florence try to go check out some of the surrounding cities. Sienna (one of those cities) was really neat and I can't remember the name of the other one (which was even neater. It had a crazy torture museum and some of the best restuarants we ate at).

Make sure you go to the traw market in Florence at night, and be sure to drop a penny from the pigs nose into the grate (thats in the straw market). Its a very unique experience. Try to mb the stairs of the Duomo too, thats a really cool view. There are lots of good places to eat . . . try to stay off the main roads and eat at some of the troterias.

I second the Herculianium vote . . . but if you can't get a student, make sure you atleast get one of the mafia guides. Venice is also a must see . . . thats a really cool city at night too and the people there were some of the frindliest I met in Italy.

I really liked the town of Sorrento and I would highly recomend taking the fairy to the isle of Capri. It a really beautiful island with a really cool palace on the top of it.

As someone said, don't go to Naples. Its a really dangerous place. Watch out in Rome too, its quite a bit more modern than all of the other cities. Its a really nice place though.

I can't think of anything else right now, but have a great time. I went last year and I wish I could go again.

BTW: Sunset in Sorrento from a beach near the Hotel Aden and A shot from St. Peters.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Sep 14 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #17

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

if you're up north (Modena) you should also visit Milano and maybe the wonderful lake como (George Clooney has a big villa there)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) Gustl
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Sep 14 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #18

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

Cinque Terra is my favorite Italy destination. Stay in Santa Margherita and walk the 5 cities trail. Awesome!
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Sep 14 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #19

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

When I was traveling abroad I spent most of my time in Italy. On the Med and in Roma specifically.

If you haven't seen "Under the Tuscan Sun"... or i think it was "Room with a View" go see them before you go.

The Italians are like no other.

I was on the Eurail and met a nice family going to the beach from Lodi, Italy to Nice (a friendly beach town) We chatted a bit in my very minimal Italian and had to excuse myself to hit the head.

When I returned we were just arriving in Nice. We parted and I immediatly went to the beach. When I looked in my day pack these people had taken one of their sandwhiches and a piece of fruit from their picnic basket and gave it to me. I was amazed that they would do such a nice thing.

I experienced the same thing in Roma on several occasions.

There's plenty of romantic places to rent right on the water. It'll cost you a bit bit it's well worth it.

Remember to specify you want a room with a bathroom. Douche is the work for bath or shower. =-)
+Quote Post
eric914
post Sep 15 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,613
Region Association: Upper MidWest

We went hear in 1997 on the advice of a couple of Americans we met in Rome. Civita di Bagnoregio and it was one of the highlights of our trip. No cars or mopeds in the town. Only way to get to it if on a foot bridge. When we went, there was a restaurant run by Franco. We had dinner at his place, one of the best meals of the trip. He told us he had a couple of rooms to rent but we had already made plans to stay in a near by town. We both regretted not staying hear. We will be traveling back next year for our ten year anniversary and we will be making every attempt to stay hear if possible.

As for dinner 9am is not uncommon for restaurants to open. They only expect to seat one parts at a table in a night and you will most likely need to ask for the check as it is impolite for them to being it to you.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:43 AM