Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Race Tire Dynamics 101, Help me understand camber for slicks...
nine14cats
post Oct 28 2003, 08:23 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

We've had these type of threads a few times...so here is a recap from our collective personal experiences:

Driver Make Fr/RR Camber
------- ------- -----------------
John Rogers Goodyear ~0/0.25
Racer Chris Hoosier ~0.7-0.9
Brad Goodyear ~0/0.25
Roger Kraus Goodyear ~1.0/1.5
Bill Pickering Hoosier ~1.5/2.0

I tire tested this year both Hoosiers and Goodyears doing auto-x's, TT's and open test days. What I found was that with my driving style, the car was faster with a more camber using Hoosier slicks and the Goodyear slicks licked a little less.

Is this due to tire construction? i.e. the sidewall is stiffer in a Goodyear than a Hoosier?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking at different combinations for next year. I like my 15x7 rim / 23x9.5x15 cantilever slick setup for Auto-X. Combined with my 901 that has been re-geared, I have a very competitive setup.

For Track Events I have a few choices. I can run the same tire/wheel combo as auto-x's or I can run Dot-R's any size. However the camber issues switching between the 2 types of tires makes it a pain.

I was talking to Roger Kraus and he also carries Dunlop slicks in 18" sizes and there are Pirelli slicks in 18" sizes as well. I have a spare set of 18" rims that came off of my 911 I just sold, so I could do more tire testing. The taller tires (~25.2" versus 23") would help on the big tracks I believe. What is interesting about the 18" slicks is that they like between 1.5 and 3 degrees of camber.

That's why I'm interested in understanding the dynamics of the camber settings....I've got alot of options and I plan on tire testing this winter to prepare for next season.

Anyone's comments or experience would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nine14cats   Race Tire Dynamics 101   Oct 28 2003, 08:23 AM
john rogers   The construction of the Goodyears is different tha...   Oct 28 2003, 08:44 AM
MJHanna  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:37 PM