Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AC Condensor? Does it need Direct air flow
Ferg
post Oct 29 2003, 10:24 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

I have what I believe to be the ac condensor mounted up front under the spoiler on my car. The PO cun a notch out of the spoiler for some reason (it would have cleared it without) and i'm looking to change the look of the car with going back to black on the lower rockers and valences. My question is can I cover this up with a stock style valence, (assuming it will fit over it), Or do I need direct air flow? Ferg.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 29 2003, 10:26 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ferg,

I think others will have better input than I.
my guess is that it does not NEED direct flow, but direct flow might make it cooler.

My stock metal valance is off the car and I could grab it for you sometime if you wanted to trial fit for clearance.

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 29 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Yeah that would be good, a trial fit would be best. Is it nice, I might want to take it off your hands. I'll grab it from you next time your in town. Ferg.
+Quote Post
daktaklakpak
post Oct 29 2003, 11:53 AM
Post #4

PC Game Freak

Member No.: 360

Dude did you just roll off the show room? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) All your lines match and the chrome is oh so shiney. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

But on our condensor it get indirect air flow. It has a small scoop at the back of the opening to help direct air and has a fan inside the housing to push it through and out the back part. If i get some time i'll try and take a pic of it.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 29 2003, 12:09 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

[/QUOTE]But on our condensor it get indirect air flow. It has a small scoop at the back of the opening to help direct air and has a fan inside the housing to push it through and out the back part.

You mean the black box sitting on top of where they cut the floor right? I have that as well with a scoop like you described, this is different and is mounted out in the open and protected by metal mesh, Kinda hard to see in my pic. If it sounds as though I have no idea what I'm talking about there is a good reason for that. Ferg.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 29 2003, 12:10 PM
Post #6

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

A condensor is a radiator, and just like an oil or water radiator to function best it needs airflow from some source. Ideally it would be directly in the air stream as on a typical front engined car which allows plenty of flow through the radiator core. Older air cooled VWs and Porsches end up with condensers located in less than ideal locations and often have fans to assist the airflow. Is your's mounted flat against the front trunk floor?

Mike
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 29 2003, 12:18 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Mine's (I guess) mounted where you see the cut out for the spoiler in the pic. So what is inside the big black box in my front trunk then? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I use the air about once a month to make sure it still works. I have never used it for real, tops always off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Maybe a gt valence with the notch on the top end for the oil cooler would be the way to go, if I can make it fit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 11:38 AM