Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> factory 914/8 in 1972 ????
SirAndy
post Mar 3 2003, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

just went to jeff's 914 collection:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/

and went to the "914 Rare German Documents" section
where he has a paper about tire/rim-sizes for the different
914 versions. on top of the lists, it says:

914/6 (1970 - 72)
914/8 (1972)

which indicates that there were factory /8 in 1972 !!!???!!!

Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 3 2003, 06:44 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I think it saiz "916, 914/6 (1972)"
That 6 just looks like an 8 a lot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The /8's were both build in '69

Anyway... that's some cool stuff Jeff published there. A big thumbs up Jeff!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 3 2003, 06:50 PM
Post #3

Resident German

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Mar 3 2003, 04:44 PM)
I think it saiz "916, 914/6 (1972)"
That 6 just looks like an 8 a lot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i thought so too, first ...
but when you look at the lower part, it doesn't have the same roundness as a 6 but much more like a 8 ...
plus, why list 72 /6 seperately when it is already covered in the first column?
remember, first column already says "914/6 (1970 - 72)"

914/6, 916 and 914/8 would make sense,
IF there was a /8 in 72 ...

Andy

btw. the paper also says that they didn't allow 9" wheels in the back with the steel GT flares. they considered it "unsafe" unless you would add additional "stabilisers" ???
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 3 2003, 07:44 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

for the 8+9 wheel combo, I think they are referring to the fact that you shouldn't run these unless you have the gt-chassis stiffening kit

the swaybar recommendation for the 7+8's is beyond me
sure it's a good thing to have, but a 'must have' ? Maybe it's a TüV thing?

The /8 had rolled fenders, but I doubt they'd fit 8 or 9" wheels

The serial#'s confuse me somewhat... only 11 916's were made

their vin's are 9141430195 (=proto type) and 9142339911 - 9142339920
The GT's (same wide body config.) had no special or consecutive vin's either...

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 3 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I just checked the source document...

It clearly says 1972 914/6 in the second column. Maybe I should try to scan this in to make it clearer...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 4 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #6

Resident German

QUOTE(bowlsby @ Mar 3 2003, 09:49 PM)
It clearly says 1972 914/6 in the second column. Maybe I should try to scan this in to make it clearer...

thanks jeff,
got excited for a minute (again) ...

btw. just read a article from a german fellow who drove the original /8 that is in the porsche museum. they apparently take it for a spin every once in a while. he drove it on the regular freeway (autobahn)! pretty fun to read (if you understand german) ...

Andy
+Quote Post
olav
post Mar 4 2003, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 34
Region Association: None

Andy,

Post a translation or a link to the site so we can translate it. Or, give the hightlights of the article.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 4 2003, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Resident German

some blah blah about 914's plus a more interesting report
on a test drive with one of the 2 original 914/8 ...

here's the original article (in german):

http://mitglied.lycos.de/volksporsche/id301.htm

and here's the (pretty bad) auto-translation into english:

altavista babelfish translation

ARRGGGHHH, translation cuts off in the middle ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)
too much text to translate by hand. will do later (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Andy
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 4 2003, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In English:

The further ascent in things "Vopo" is enough already into the range of the superlative and is called Porsche 916. The fact that I do not lie so wrongly with my dream car points the choice to the classical author of the monthly the engine classical period reader  kuerten with 65,3 per cent of the voices clearly the 916 to the winner. Only eleven times built, with 190 HP motorized and without disturbing VOLKSWAGEN in the type designation, vigorous 916 for me could be already a dream car - gaeb's not there still another further increase. The end of the Volkswagen Porsche flag bar is only reached with the 914/8, with which we would be with my dream car. Purely optically the 914/8 represent 916 opposite that a backward step, but but gibt's under the central hood an armament, which inspires simply. Not four, not six, but eight air-cooled cylinders lauern before the rear axle. I am safe: this car would have confessed to the choice, the readers would have selected my dream car. By a "people Porsche" indeed the speech cannot be with this car. Only two copies left the Porsche work - more exclusively geht's hardly. The first 914/8 were built second for Ferdinand Piech, at that time Porsche development boss (today AUDI chairmen of the board), got Ferry Porsche to its 60sten birthday given. Both are propelled by a competition engine from the 908-Rennwagen, which already releases reverence at the bare sight. Eineiige of twins are not the two 1969 built Super-914 nevertheless. Piech figure eight, which is located today in the Porsche museum and was allowed with which I one day long driving impressions to collect, is the older of both. It was developed 1969 for pure experimental purposes, over - as Porsche museum boss Peter Schneider describes - "the borders of the central engine conception  aufzuzeigen". The fact that it concerns with this car also the more poisonous version was me naturally only quite - if already, because already. Only a series exhaust zuegelt the three-litre running aggregate on 300 HP with 7500/min, in order to be allowed to move the Bestie also over public roads. Only equipped with a flame tube, the engine turns still more highly and puts with 8500U/min enormous 350 HP on the crankshaft. The Geburtstagsgratulanten Ferry Porsche did not want to zumuten so a drehorgel 1969. Its figure eight was throttled by zahmere cam shafts, valve caps and four webers double carburetors with sucking in noise suppression on 260 HP. Beyond that the clients let the Targa roof exchange against a steel roof and weld it firmly. Otherwise the birthday Porsche differs only in some details (oil cooler opening and gas cap outside) of a Serien-914/6. To the car Ferry Porsche received a personal manual, in which it means: "driving you the cars prefers with engine speeds between 3500/min and 7500/min. In order to prevent a contamination of the candles in the city enterprise, one recommends, to be moveable the engine occasionally." That did Ferry Porsche with security repeatedly times, because he put back with his 914/8 over 10,000 kilometers, natural I before my test run with the Piech Porsche with this projectile had intensively been occupied. Differently than its zahmes counterpart, this car from a Vorserien-914 developed. It is turn signal blinkerglaesern and a larger outside mirror equipped with double headlights, others. In addition the head restraints are missing in the interior. Also some equipment characteristics in the Interieur, like for example the wood-framed armatures, deviate slightly from the series. Eyecatcher number one is the tachometer handing to 10,000 revolutions. On the left and on the right beside it the completely normal 914/6-lnstrumentierung sits; completely on the left of a further reference to the fact that in the engine compartment explosive does: a bang-red switch for the fire-extinguishing system. Further switches for interrupting the electric circuits and for the controlling of the fuel injection system are accommodated on the center console. The chassis is in such a way laid out with harder shock absorbers as well as titanium feathers/springs that it still bears brutal motorizing straight. And also the Bere
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 4 2003, 07:19 PM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

Babel Fish Translation  
Help

In English:

Eyecatcher number one is the tachometer handing to 10,000 revolutions. On the left and on the right beside it the completely normal 914/6-lnstrumentierung sits; completely on the left of a further reference to the fact that in the engine compartment explosive does: a bang-red switch for the fire-extinguishing system. Further switches for interrupting the electric circuits and for the controlling of the fuel injection system are accommodated on the center console. The chassis is in such a way laid out with harder shock absorbers as well as titanium feathers/springs that it still bears brutal motorizing straight. And also the tyre of the dimension 185/70 VR 15 on standard fox rims moves in view of required engine performance within the extreme range of the Understatement. Better a wolf cannot hide itself under a sheep fur. The first reference to this Ueber-914 by the way is in Stuttgart specialized magazines "car the engine and sport", expenditure 8/1969: "were built there the attempt workers with nostalgia fulfilled to motorize this miracle thing at road-hugging property with a 411-Motor in the 914 nearly all Porsche engines. In the meantime one concerned strong 908-Achtzylinder at over 350 HP. Largest grief of the Porsche Spielzeugfanatiker is that new 4.5 litre twelve-cylinders in the future German people sports cars does not fit." Honestly said: 300 HP of the eight-cylinder were enough to me always. The three-litre engine offers achievement in the abundance - and in each speed range. For the first time me a car disproved the before often used empty phrase: "achievement can one enough never have." But before the engine is ignited, a view is recommended to only open under the hood, as with a racing car,  von outside finally leaves itself wants one to know, with whom one puts on oneself. Like the organ pipes the eight aspirating pipes behind the large Vertilkalgeblaese stand. They seem to wait only for the fact that them pressurize a beherzter organist from the steering wheel. The cylinder heads are from expensive aluminum, the cylinders likewise, exhibit however chromium-plated walls. For piston rods, pins and nuts/mothers Porsche high-quality titanium spendierte. Covers and housings developed from a magnesium alloy. Against enormous heat development at the valves chemistry was endeavored. They were filled for better cooling with sodium. In contrast to 260 Ps-914/8 Ur-figure eight is supplied via a mechanical bosch fuel injection system with fuel. For the Porsche technicians it was not a problem to accommodate the 178 kilograms light eight-cylinder (series four-cylinder 145kg) in the Mittelmotor Kabuff. Only the rear wall to the driver area had to be amended something, around place to create for the blower. The trunk remained up to the presence of the two ignition coils installed there in the original state. They are switched on and off over transistor-steered units, which receive their impulses from a contactless distributor, alternating. With the first ignition key revolution however first times the two  elektrische fuel pumps  stationierten in the engine compartment begin to foerden according to surrend large quantities gasoline to the rear. From the tank a noise penetrates to my ears, which amusing-proves me reminded of defective toilet flushing. Next key revolution, a short footstep on the accelerotor pedal and the sucking in battery begins to get deeply air; among them not less than four cam shafts turn now, ignite 16 candles and rotate tenfold stored crankshaft. After the warming-up phase the idling speed of the doppelzuenders stabilizes with well 2500/min. Still the machine sounds civilian, but as soon as I touch the accelerotor pedal lightly, the tachometer snaps over the ér marking. The running engine answers with fauchende trumpet impact. Slowly I drive over the Zuffenhausener work area to main gate. Some older Porsche coworkers stop ehrfuerchtig; in the rear view mirror I see, how her pointer-end yourself over the orange garnet maintained. Then geht's by the city direction motorway. Gradually I get accustomed to the running clutch difficult to operate. When starting I need to give hardly gas. The 914/8 roll hotter brabbelnd in traffic also. Already starting from 3000/min the "super Vopo" pulls like an ox. With 60 km/h I orbit the highway entrance in the third course, switch back into second and give full power. Dull/musty organs in my back lightning-like trumpet concert increases to that already admitted.  Im Nu huscht those TAC hone aristocracy over the 100 km/h mark. With 110 km/h the engine turns approximately 6800/min, but which comes now, is new: Behind me now a infernalisches running roar prevails. As a turbo engine, which is supplied straight with the maximum load pressure, sets the eight-cylinder suddenly achievement free. The car shoots even at this high speed again powerfully forward "starting from 7000/min is the forward urge at higher speeds like that, as if I with my 914/4 from the conditions with full power to accelerate", I afterwards into my note book wrote. With deafening 7200/min I switch into third, the maximum permissible engine speed from 8400/min wanted I that seven years did not induce racers rather not to zumuten. The transmission gradation is perfect. The connections are in such a manner well co-ordinated that the engine immediately makes achievement available after the shifting process again plentifully. Third accelerates me to 170 km/h, fourth to 210 km/h and the fifth to over 250 km/h - theoretically. Because first of all motorway conditions did not permit a such driving fashion, and secondly I wanted to not too much frustrate the driver Porsche 928 S 4, which I had lost already nearly from the rear view mirror. He could not know, what let him stand so dreadfully. They believe, I exaggerate? Naturally is superior the 928 over 20 years to the old 914/8 in the maximum speed, but in the elasticity and acceleration for it so fast none makes which forwards - also no Porsche Carrera 4, which on a locked airfield against the inconspicuous garnet tried. With a start from the conditions in Dragster manners to 140 km/h the 914/8 kept the nose in front. And also on kurviger highway the Piech Porsche made a good figure even - like a genuine "Vopo". The optimal weight distribution on both axles (47% in front, 53% in the back), obtained by the central engine building method, in addition, made possible extremely high rates of turn, has its Tuecken. Blows, the frontier also only around a millimeter is exceeded: The 914 lightning-like and do not become one any longer controllable brummkreisel break out. Already my 100 Ps-914 me the more frequent in sharp curves in embarrassment brought. The load change reactions when gas taking away are to be plumbed only very heavily into the grasp to wars and best on locked racing courses. There the Piech-914/8 is waived anyway better, than on public roads. Because the running rubbing work is not only noisy loudly, but shows also completely uninhibited that it wants to be well oiled. As soon as ungezaehmte figure eight stands, it wraps itself immediately in dark-blue oil smoke. Also when switching, which can be managed best with double-clutch, the 914/8 greet enormously with a thick OelwoIke from the beer-bottle-thick exhaust pipe. So seen, I am actually whole  froh that my dream of 914/8 reality cannot become. Dreams, which become true, are all too often disappointments. In addition the two 100,000 Mark-914/8 (price in the year 1969) are unsalable. Somewhat differently sieht's there already with the type 916 out, my dream car number two as it were. This car was built 1971 and 1972 - as said - nevertheless for eleven times and failed with a price from at that time approximately 40,000 Marks comparatively low-priced. Allerdings:   Ein Porsche 911 S was almost with scarcely 31,000 Marks against it a special offer. But as simply as 911 could one does not buy this 914-Weiterentwicklung naturally. In addition "only friends of the house" were privileged, were called it in a report of Porsche. Equivalent five 916 reserved themselves the families Porsche and Piech, the remainder went to faithful German customers, as well as into the USA, England and to Japan. In order to free it clearly from the Volkswagen smell to, the Porsche responsible persons gave it the type designation 916. Not only in the price, but also in the optics, equipment and in things achievement should become the 916 a counterpart the Ferrari 246 Dino. In Zuffenhausen the plan matured to build a road version in racing used 914/6 GT with the 86-stuendigen "Marathon de la route" 1970 on the Nuerburgring reached three 914/6 GT a spectacular success and reserved the seats one to three. From  diesen  Rundstrecken racers inherited the 916 the bulligen flared wings. Among them again fox rims with Michelin XVR tire of the dimension found 185/70 VR 15 place. The developers widened the trace in front by 21 millimeters strong spacer pieces on 1391 millimeters. In the back the trace went by 27 millimeters on 1445 millimeters into the width. In addition received the 916 low-lying plastic aprons, into which openings for auxiliary headlights and oil coolers were cut in front. Widenings and attachments give 916 an aggressive, but nevertheless simple appearance to that. The widenings and spoiler were available also as accessories, so that few "Vopo" drivers its normal four and six cylinder thereby did not aufmotzten later. As is the case for the 914/8 of Ferry Porsche the work welders increased with 916 the twisting rigidity by an installed, thickly isolated steel roof. Bilstein Rennstossdaempfer, ventilated disc brakes as well as transverse stabilizers ennobled the sixteen-experiencing work to the High Tech product. As the first road Porsche the 916 an emergency wheel received, because the Olkuehler stressed too much place in the front trunk for a normal spare wheel. The eleven  916 to look so identical like, more or less concern it with them eleven unique pieces. Was inserted what straight was available in Zuffenhausen. Thus some copies received for example a windshield antenna, other one a completely normal. Particularly elegantly geht's in the 916-Innenraum too: Leather and other noble coverings, where the eye moves. The inserted radios were the best with point of blue and Becker of available models. But its true values hides also the 916 under the hood. If Porsche motorized the 914/8 with the then strongest installationable engine from own production at all, the 916 the aggregate from that received 911 S, the most efficient 1971 available internal serienmotor. This six cylinder carries 190 HP out from 2,4 litres capacity. Thus the 916 for 230 km/h and an acceleration from 0 to 100 is good km/h in scarcely seven seconds. But expenditure-provoked is still for a long time not the central engine car thereby. The fact that the 916 in view of his modified body and the widened trace for higher engine performances is thus suitable is obvious. At least two 916-Besitzer rigged their cars later also promptly. After the appearance 911 Carrera of R-S transplanted it its 2,7Liter large injecting he engine with 210 HP into their 916. Briefly before the revalued "Vopo" should be introduced 1971 on that Paris salon, Porsche got cold feet. The Swabia shrank from at a hochpreisigen adventure back, whose exit was uncertain. The project 916 always landed two weeks before the presentation in the drawers - a retreat, which was understandable. While the normal 914/4 (with prices between 12,700 and 14990 Marks) reached in the years 1972 and 1973 substantial production numbers of items, 19,980 Marks of expensive 914/6 straight still poor 543 pieces could be set off in the same period from that. Although the 916 911 S in things road performances loosely in
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 5 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #11

Resident German

thank you sir (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 5 2003, 04:45 PM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

There are lots of words that don't translate like:hochpreisigen .
What the heck is that?
Actually, this is pretty good reading about how a 914 w/908 engine drives. Leaving a928 S4 in the dust is pretty funny! I wonder what mods the factory guys did to this car to make it behave so well....Now that would be interesting!
Geoff
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 5 2003, 06:16 PM
Post #13

Resident German

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 5 2003, 02:45 PM)
hochpreisigen .
What the heck is that?

means highpriced. that's why they didn't go for a production 916. they thought it wouldn't sell because of the much higher price ...

yeah, there's a lot of interesting stuff in there,
like "double-headlights" !?!?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 5 2003, 06:30 PM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Double-double headlights. Must be talking about the orange Piëch car.

Both of the 914-8s were built from 914 prototypes. They had many detail differences from the final production 914, particularly the orange car that was given to Piëch. (The silver one given to Ferry Porsche was more similar to the regular 914.) If you can find pics, take a look at the turn signals. They are shaped a little differently, and the lenses have a beveled edge to them.

That's in addition to the external fuel filler door, the dual headlights, and so on. I think the orange -8 might also have one of the bumper designs that didn't make it into production, as well!

Jon Lowe did a great presentation on the prototypes (and more!) at last year's MUSR. Lots of nifty pictures.

--DD
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 5 2003, 06:38 PM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

This is the car tested with 908 engine
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 5 2003, 06:53 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Both cars had the 908 engine
The Piech (red) car had a Bosch FI that made 300bhp
The Porsche (silver) car had Webers and was "tuned down" to 260 bhp
The silver car also featured a sunroof

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 5 2003, 07:14 PM
Post #17

Aircooled Baby!

Jeroen, do you have that link to where the recent photo shoot was with the red car? I lost it with the recent hard drive crash.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 5 2003, 07:24 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Hey Geoff,

You prolly mean this link...

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 5 2003, 08:03 PM
Post #19

Aircooled Baby!

Yes, that link, thanks.
This has to be the first Porsche with the spacesaver spare circa 1969!
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 5 2003, 08:11 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

are these the inner door locks in this pic?(IMG:http://www.fagan001.freeler.nl/images/914-111__13__Schloss_Langenburg.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:16 AM