Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excellence Magazine 914 Valuations ..., prices are rising!!
Bleyseng
post Sep 21 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #21

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

conversions are great as long as they are air cooled IMHO

Long ago the 914 WAS a cheapass platform to customize not anymore. Just too few really nice ones left as you see them selling for 12-19k, 4's mind you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 21 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #22

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 21 2006, 04:04 PM) *

conversions are great as long as they are air cooled IMHO

Long ago the 914 WAS a cheapass platform to customize not anymore. Just too few really nice ones left as you see them selling for 12-19k, 4's mind you.

Yep...
The cool thing is this conversation would not have happened two years ago... Things have changed drastically in the past couple of years for the 914..

I know of a certain article about 914 engines that might help it a lot too, if all works out well you guys will be seeing a 2270 for a 914 getting built in print in the next year... I won't be the one building it- the owner will be and you won't believe where it'll be! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 21 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #23

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Pete is building his own engine!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Put me on the roller lifter list! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 21 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #24

Engine Surgeon

Pete who??

Geoff, I **might** let you be a guinea pig- you are experienced enough to give ita whirl!
+Quote Post
SGB
post Sep 21 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #25

just visiting

Member No.: 404

Jake- if you need faster service I can have my car to ya by, say, this weekend....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Geoff- I'm jellious. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Sep 21 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,977

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 21 2006, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 20 2006, 07:07 PM) *

Its due to more and more people ruining good cars by installing radiators into them....

Nothing in the Excellence valuations applies to bastardized 914s!

Keep cuttinem' up guys, your making the others that remain unmolested or correctly modified more valuable!

This one is sure to piss some people off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Hmmmm... I for one am not pissed. How can I be? At the German Auto Fest, every entry for Mid Engine Mania was an aircooled 914 with the exception of mine which according to you is worthless due to the fact that it is a "bastarized" because it is cut up, won best of show. This was voted by the owners of the cars, not the owner of type 4 engine builders. While I am not "pissed", I will offer you a little business advise.

It is never a good idea to bash your competition... Doesn't look good.

914s with radiators are not the only -14s that are hacked,, At GAF and other places I've seen many a 2.7 ~ 3.2 that has been hacked up to make room for oil coolers,, factory FI,, etc.
I hope you don't spare these folks your disdain Jake,, I respect your talents as a TIV enginge guru, but I dis-agree with your opinion.

I guess if I were in your business I would be bashing other power plants too,, it's good for business. Good thing I'm not a TIV engine builder. My little 1.3 rotary revs a HELL of a lot faster than the video you posted of the monster 356,, but I am comparing apples to oranges in your eyes. It was the engine in the inferior chassis Rx-7 that ended Porsche's winning streak in IMSA. Rotary's are sweet fun little motors. There's a post floating around here somewhere where an old german car magazine compared a stock 914 to a NSU rotary powered 914.

Since the value of our NARPs are shooting up,, perhaps we should just seal our cars away in sealed containers so our family members can sell them when we die, and god forbid that we drive them and have fun with them because it will also devalue the car. A stock 914 can be lotsa fun,, ( I have one too) But one with some BALLS (no matter what the engine) is a HELL of alot more fun.

Looks like I'm ranting,,,,,
I'm not pissed,, just had a bad day at work,,,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

just my .02
-Rob

+Quote Post
porschecb
post Sep 21 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,529
Region Association: None

So if and when I sell my car it looks like I can will start over and still put more or as much in to it (if parts are still around) Oh! wait I can buy an RX7 or a Suby and drop a type 4 into it! Problem solved! Long live type 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or six conversion) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 21 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #28

Engine Surgeon

I'm not pissed,, just had a bad day at work,,,,,

Sorry to hear that.... Bad days suck!

Good day here, didn't see a watercooled car all day long!
+Quote Post
914-8
post Sep 21 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 5,461

I agree with Jake's opinion.

Certainly, as time goes by, the relatively few original, stock configuration 914s in excellent condition are going to go UP in value. No question.

And, for every one that one of us "hacks" a radiator into - well, that's one less 914 that is ever going to be stock and original again!

That's just a fact.

That being said, who cares? 914-4s are still relatively cheap, plentiful cars, and aren't going to be big buck cars for a long, long, long time. Heck, you can still get a decent 356B driver for $15K.

Plus, what kinda nut buys a 914 as an investment? Mine is for FUN!
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Sep 21 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 5,506

914 are going up slowly in value. But the fact is many of us have 2 or 3 914 because thay are easy to work on and cheap to play with compared to other sports cars.
I have a show car that will always stay stock.
A AX car that will see a few mods.
A factory 6 with a 3.2 and an oil cooler that has not affected the front pan, easy to go back to stock.
I feel any car can be taken back to stock with a little welding in of panels
But is it really important to bash over one mans vision of how he would like to power HIS car. How about we just enjoy the fact that we all love the same car.
+Quote Post
nbscooters
post Sep 21 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 4,347

I made the tough effort of going to the store to spend the $4.99 and check it out for myself. For a non appearence 73 2.0 with FI and 20,000 miles on a BRAND NEW motor, (chassis has over 200,000 miles) I am stoked that the only other owner of the car is my dad.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Sep 21 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #32

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Hell I have been saying the same thing Jake is saying right now when this club first started. I have been selling 914s for over 10 years. I said years ago the 914 is the future 356 as far as pricing and the fact that the cars are being cut up and crushed everyday, just drives the value up. I always said keep the sawzalls going it will only drive up the values of the 914as that are still here.
This isn't anything new, its just that people are starting to notice.
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 21 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #33

Ooooo!

Member No.: 3,316

QUOTE(nbscooters @ Sep 21 2006, 09:13 PM) *

I made the tough effort of going to the store to spend the $4.99 and check it out for myself. For a non appearence 73 2.0 with FI and 20,000 miles on a BRAND NEW motor, (chassis has over 200,000 miles) I am stoked that the only other owner of the car is my dad.

Hmm, similar situation with me. '73 2.0 with FI, non-appearance, 89,000 original miles. Only other owner was my father. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Sep 21 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #34

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

Haha Jake, you are the Jerry Springer of aircooled, allways willing to wade into the crowd punching away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

And he's subtle too!
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 22 2006, 03:19 AM
Post #35

Engine Surgeon

Yeah, I was hoping to piss more people off!

These damn guys aren't playing fairly! get pissed!!!

Its not any fun unless you throw a chair in the ring, come on guys!!!
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 22 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #36

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone who says that the price of (realtively) stock 914s is on the rise... but I do believe it's inflated right now, because of various factors.

The price will normalize over time - the market will determine true value. In the meantime, I hope that will someone PM me with a generous offer to scan a copy of the article for my insurance value... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers,
Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
(paid-up Excellence subscriber)
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Sep 22 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #37

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(boxstr @ Sep 21 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Hell I have been saying the same thing Jake is saying right now when this club first started. I have been selling 914s for over 10 years. I said years ago the 914 is the future 356 as far as pricing and the fact that the cars are being cut up and crushed everyday, just drives the value up. I always said keep the sawzalls going it will only drive up the values of the 914as that are still here.
This isn't anything new, its just that people are starting to notice.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Sep 22 2006, 05:56 AM
Post #38

just visiting

Member No.: 404

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 22 2006, 04:19 AM) *

Its not any fun unless you throw a chair in the ring, come on guys!!!

OK Jake - here is one: I LIKE my hydraulic cam.

Don't you?
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Sep 22 2006, 06:23 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 1,349

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 21 2006, 02:57 PM) *

These days when you find someone that doesn't mind pissing off a few people to share his true feelings about something consider yourself lucky! I'm about as politically incorrect as I can be and if it costs me a few bucks so be it.... Its my money and I damn sure don't need any advice!

That's why I ordered my kit from Jake, the man has passion. Bastardizing with a radiator was never an option for me. I'm full-blooded German, so it was either a six or a 4, air cooled. But even if I wasn't German and had no heritage issues, why build a Fiero when you can buy one outright?
+Quote Post
72914S
post Sep 22 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #40

love this shot

Member No.: 900

Well I have two `72 914`s one is near stock except it has `73 drive train,the other has a ford v6. Nether are running,PRETTY sure I dropped a valve on the 2056.The v6 ford was a flood victim.Now I`m not sure which one to rebuild first! For sure I WANT a "Engine by Jake" in Lil Red,but the v6 car just needs a transplant.So which one first ?It was going to be the air cooled one until I read Jake`s post about the new roller stuff. Damn !! Hey Jake I have a car For a test mule? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:56 AM