Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> THill Update -- Ecstacy and Agony of tracking a Porsche, Just shoot me now....
nine14cats
post Sep 23 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Im here at the PCA-GGR Time Trial at Thunderhill. Although windy in the morning, the track was awesome today...VERY FAST!....We are running the 2 day event in the normal "counterclockwise" direction.

My personal best is a 2:07 going this direction over the top with turns 5 and 5A. During the 1st session on cold as shit tires I burn off a 2:07. Hey...what's going on here? Could I be having one of those magical days. Session 2 I turn a 2:06.5. Now I'm thinking can I get into the 5's? I go out in session 3 and burn a 2:05.4!

So now I'm pumped..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I psych up for the last session and crank out a 2:04.3!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) It was sooooo much fun!

Have you ever been in that zone where the car and you feel just right? My car never felt out of sorts, never out of control. Braking was perfect, the traction was perfect. And I could see the whole track in my mind turn for turn. I would approach sections of track and feel like it was slow motion. This is what you live for.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

And from a great day comes the kind of stuff that makes you want to eat a gun.....

During the next few laps after I turn the 2:04, I'm hauling ass full throttle down the main strait and my motor let's go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I didn't have an over rev, the car's temps were fine and as attested by my laptimes, I wasn't having power issues.

I was full throttle and suddenly lost power. No metal to metal sounds, chunking, clinking. No oil dropping....motor is still bone dry. But it sounds like and feels like I lost compression in one or more cylinders. It sounds like air is rushing by something in the motor. I checked the motor oil and it is clear and clean, no bits. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what happenned? I'm thinking top end somewhere, rings or valve related, but again there is not metal to metal sounds, only the sound of air rushing somewhere in the motor.

This is a cruel sport. Today was perhaps the best time I've ever had driving and it ends so terribly. Time to bring Fritz home and start the diagnosis. And I was leading the series in points. A DNF will most likely cost me my class win. I'm pretty bummed right now.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nine14cats   THill Update -- Ecstacy and Agony of tracking a Porsche   Sep 23 2006, 09:33 PM
grantsfo   :( Hope its not too bad.   Sep 23 2006, 09:40 PM
trekkor   Sorry to hear this, Bill. I hope it is a simple an...   Sep 23 2006, 09:58 PM
nebreitling   happy to hear about the blazing fast times -- and ...   Sep 23 2006, 10:40 PM
nine14cats   Hi Nathan, The motor still runs. No smoke from t...   Sep 23 2006, 10:48 PM
trekkor   Are you still up there? Maybe someone can offer s...   Sep 23 2006, 11:18 PM
nine14cats  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:04 AM