Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> air-cooled V8 anyone?, think KEP has an adapter for this one?
jk76.914
post Oct 1 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

Here's a good one to think about, on a Sunday night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

How about installing a Tatra V8 in your 914? No radiators, hoses, holes to cut because it's air cooled. LOOK AT THAT VALVE TRAIN!!!! And those combusion chambers. WOO EEE!! (Givin' you any ideas, Jake???)
Attached Image

I even found a complete engine for sale on [German] eBay! Looks to be complete even. (The pic below isn't the one on eBay. The one on eBay "needs work".)

Attached Image

Gotta love those dual cooling fans. No electric motors here- belt driven. The Tatra (in production until 1996) was rear-engined, so the heat exchangers would have to be rotated for our use. Or, it could be a new style cabin heater!

(latest ones went to a single fan, belt driven from below, sorta like a Porsche.)

Attached Image

And, for those few of you out there who never heard of Tatra, here's a pic of an older (50's? 60's?) vintage Tatra! NOW I know where the inspiration for the '63 Corvette rear window came from!!! Where else??? If you squint just right... fastback... split window...

You can see the air inlets for the engine just ahead of the back tires.... By the way, this was the best angle of view IMHO.

Attached Image

Well, I was intrigued, and I thought I'd share it.... Have a great evening!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Oct 1 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

somebody grab a tape measure and hop on a plane to Czechloslavakia....
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Oct 1 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Lotta work for what? 150HP?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:21 AM