Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> electrical gurus - how does the f'ing turn signal "loop", rewiring and using an aftermarket GM-style fuse panel that fuses "
byndbad914
post Oct 2 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #1

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

So, freakin' German cars. Really, I have little to say for "German Engineering". So, I am rewiring the car from scratch (more or less - using old harness as a guide) and upgrading to the "correct" way to fuse a circuit with a Painless Fuse block. Anyway, it is easy to just run new wires to the item being switched on and fuse the hot wire to the switch = say headlights for instance... I fuse the hot in, then "splice" the wires that were at the original fuse panel (not splicing, running all new wire, but that helps paint the picture hopefully).

Then I get to the hazard light switch. There is about 15 wires off of that one switch! I can figure out the stuff for the most part - EXCEPT FOR HOW THEY ARE RELAYING THE FLASHER. I can't tell if they are intermittently breaking power (12V switched) or intermittently breaking the ground. And the design seems to have this crazy kind of 12V looping going on (tho' won't go into that). Anyway, I need to easily pull that relay outta the system (as the new fuse panel has the 12V signal intermittent relayed) but am worried about how the grounding works.

So, that paints the picture (hopefully), here is a straight-forward series of questions:

1. There is a black with green stripe and white swirl wire that is split - one goes from the switch to the steering column and the other from the switch to that freakin' relay. Does this carry 12V constant?? (I am assuming it is constant 12V to make the turn signals work by passing 12V from that wire to either the blk/wht or blk/green return to flash the lights.)

a. If the wire inquestion is in fact 12V hot thru the switch, then I can figure the rest out from there. If not, if it somehow gets an intermittent 12V supplied from that funky relay, please let me know and I can work with that too.

If it doesn't match anything above, then I will probably just take a hammer to the switch altogether, swear in the few German words I know, and just wire in my own switch. But I really want to keep the stock looking switch on the dash.

Worst case I pull out the DMM tonight and swear under my breath while I figure that switch out, but any help is very appreciated. I have spent HOURS yesterday and was up 'til 3AM (no shit!!) reading thru the wire diagrams trying to figure out that relay and overall loop. And I can wire a car no problem... so this is just un-freakin-buleavabul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
byndbad914   electrical gurus - how does the f'ing turn signal "loop"   Oct 2 2006, 03:55 PM
byndbad914   Further explanation of my confusion: I think that...   Oct 2 2006, 04:33 PM
jk76.914   Take a look at this thread. I spend a long time f...   Oct 2 2006, 04:52 PM
byndbad914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:14 AM