Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Let's build a DSP car, Money no object (what would you do)?
Joe Ricard
post Oct 4 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

So I'm sitting here at work and can't stop thinking about what it would look like to build a no holds barred 10/10ths DSP Solo II car.

If you were to build it how would you do it?
Suspension Koni sports or some UBER expensive Moton or JRZ shocks
16" kodiak or other light ass rims
Coil overs and stiffer front Torsion bars Front sway (big) Chris Foley's delrin suspension bushings.

Engine 2.0L with as much compression as possible SDS or Haltech Individual throttle bodies Lightened flywheel 6 puc clutch balance porting with in the rules.
Tangerine, complete Mallory ignition or compatable with EFI

Interior including seats Got to have a back pad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) But Fiberglass shell seats like a Momo EVO or something. Guess carpet and sound pads on the floors.

Body with or without roll bar????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Engman kit????
Early doors with all tar removed
Early targa top.

Can't figure out bumpers ?????

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)
jhadler
post Oct 5 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #41

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Brad,

What was the secret? And who was drivin'? I used to compete in SFR for a number of years, and knew most of champs. Just currious. I remember there was another 914 that was running in CSP in the late '90's, but he was usually a backmarker in the class (like I was at the time).

Stock injection... okay... what else????

Inquiring minds want to know...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 6 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #42

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Nothing really special. The guy could drive.

I gave him a LSD tranny.. and AutoX Hoosiers.

The engine was maxed out class legal for SCCA ITA (which fit the CSP rules)

The car has a cage, but they looked at it and figured out that it provided nothing more than safety.. yeah right..LOL (ITA rules state nothing more than safety)

His name is Mike Harris.

B
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 6 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #43

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 6 2006, 09:12 AM) *

Nothing really special. The guy could drive.

I gave him a LSD tranny.. and AutoX Hoosiers.

Do you think the LSD is unavoidably necessary? A stock 2.0L doesn't put down that much power. I haven't had wheel spin problems in the past, but that's not to say I won't in the future...

The car has a cage, but they looked at it and figured out that it provided nothing more than safety.. yeah right..LOL (ITA rules state nothing more than safety)

Well, _any_ cage will help the chassis out. In pretty much any car... Was the cage connected to the suspension points? Bolted or welded? Do you think it was worth the weight to run the cage?

His name is Mike Harris.

The name's familiar... It's been a while...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 6 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #44

914 Freak!

Yes on the LSD. Your life will change when you AutoX or road race a 914 with one in it. The "light" goes on. Your driving smile will get bigger (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I promise a few tenths are hidden in the LSD. You may not hear wheel spin, but I bet a small data acq system would detect it.

The cage was welded, but per ITA rules it cannot pass through the bulkheads, so no suspension points where picked up.

Was it worth the weight? Yes. Once you get the weight moving.. dont slow down..LOL It is like having a 150lb friend riding with you at all times.

B
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 6 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #45

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 6 2006, 09:54 AM) *

Yes on the LSD. Your life will change when you AutoX or road race a 914 with one in it. The "light" goes on. Your driving smile will get bigger (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I promise a few tenths are hidden in the LSD. You may not hear wheel spin, but I bet a small data acq system would detect it.

Quaife? Clutch? Other?

I'm sure on the big track it can make a difference, just wasn't too sure about autox...

The cage was welded, but per ITA rules it cannot pass through the bulkheads, so no suspension points where picked up.

Was it worth the weight? Yes. Once you get the weight moving.. dont slow down..LOL It is like having a 150lb friend riding with you at all times.

yeah, I'm still on the fence about a cage for autox. I know the chassis needs all the help it can get, but the weight is significant...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 6 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #46

914 Freak!

Clutch all the way on the LSD. 80/40 from Guard.

The transitions on the big track are NO where near what you see in an AutoX. I feel a LSD is more important in AutoX. I can only think of 2 turns at Thill and 2 turns at Buttonwillow where you NEED a LSD in a 914. THill= trn 5+9 BW= 9 and 4.

Do you know anything about those turns? They are all HILLS. Elevation change and corners is where you NEED a LSD for a road course.

I say all of this and we have elevation change at our Qualcomm AutoX stuff..LOL but we also get 80+ mph.

B

+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 6 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #47

Long term tinkerer...

The peak loading in an autox is much higer, but the steady state, static loading is much graeter at speed on a big track. That's why I would think the LSD would be more helpfull on the big track.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 6 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #48

914 Freak!

It is the "unsmooth" left/right transitions that unload and load the "inside" rear wheel in autoX. I'm glass smooth on the track with very little steering input. I dont upset the car much (if at all) on the road course compared to AutoX. I consider AutoX "more violent" than track time.

Several times people have pointed out to me at AutoX's.. you drive track events?? LOL

+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 6 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #49

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Thanks Brad, I have been on the fence as to which type of LSD to get, Quaife style or a real LSD. Looks like a clutch pack it is. 80% lock for auto-x with 40 decel lock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Even Guard will tell you that is a lot of LSD for an auto-x car.

BTW, Josh, I know I am leaving a good second or more right now if I did not change my setup. ( seems like an eternity for the wheel to come down and bite again.) I bet you are leaving a couple of 10ths out there and not even knowing it. Maybe even more if you use the decel effect to its full potential.

Was the Sporto Tranny in a 914 different than a regular clutch type as far as gear ratios go? I know in a 911 they where, just not sure about a 914. Not that you see many 914-4 sports running about. I have only seen 1, and heard of another 914-6 sporto. If you coud run the sport tranny with out the elctro/hydralic clutch setup, and extra oil pump, it might be worth it depending on how the gear ratios worked out. I know you can't change internal components but you can update and backdate, so just a thought. I might be wrong like I usually am.

+Quote Post
bam914
post Nov 20 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 1,378

Bumping this back from the dead. I am helping my friend build a DSP 914. He has an early 70 model. He is bring it over tomorrow to put it in the scales so I can get an idea of what it will weigh. He bought the 2.0L out of my ITB car and we will be running direct fire SDS. We will be trying a few induction set ups. With the stock intake plenum and throttle body the engine makes 123wtq and 108whp. I hope to get a few more with a bigger induction system without hurting the TQ.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 20 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #51

Long term tinkerer...

Blake,

With the power you've managed to generate in the IT car, I think a DSP car with your power plant, and wearing the 275/35-15 Hoosiers could possibly do something in DSP. But I still think it's gonna be highly course dependent. It's really going to need to be a momentum intensive course. Any low speed turns feeding straights, and the acceleration of the Bimmers will be really hard to overcome. The Bimmers are surprisingly good in transition, so pushing the momentum preservation capability of the 914 will be the key, hence the 275's I think...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 21 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #52

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Admitedly I know very little about SP classes. But how do you get 275's under the fenders?

What I do know is them Damn Miatas are freaking fast in CSP with 275's
+Quote Post
bam914
post Nov 21 2009, 07:34 AM
Post #53

We will be starting with 225 for now. You can add flares, just not the whole fender is how I read the rule.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 21 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #54

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 21 2009, 05:56 AM) *

Admitedly I know very little about SP classes. But how do you get 275's under the fenders?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

'nuff said.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
bam914
post Nov 21 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #55

Just got done weighing the car. All stock except for 32/36 weber on a 1.7 with all the stock heat exchangers and muffler. 2.0L Fuch wheels. I was a little surprised at how light it was. 1858# with 2 gal of gas and no top. So we strip the fog lights, radio, speakers and 10# for the flywheel and clutch, it should be close to 1800# when we are done.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 21 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #56

CUMONIWANNARACEU

I read that you can do a fuel cell.
Steel stock tanks are pretty heavy.
+Quote Post
bam914
post Nov 21 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #57

I will be reading over the rules. It depends on how big the cell has to be. My 10 gal cell weighs more then the stock tank.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 21 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #58

Long term tinkerer...

If I recall, the fuel cell cannot be less than 90% of the stock volume.

Fenders are unrestricted, but quarter panels cannot be replaced as a whole. You can even just sawzall the fenders and leave them open. No tire coverage rule is in place.

My biggest concern of a full-on SP 914 with monster tahrs, is the chassis flex that would result from that much grip. I just see the trailing arm mounting ears tearing out of the chassis...

1850#?!?!?! Wow, that's a lot lighter than I would have expected. Way cool! I can't wait to get my own car on the scales.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
igo914
post Nov 22 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 9,780
Region Association: South East States

Josh2,

Hi. I'm Ivan, Blake's friend with the 70 building up for DSP.

Reading the below link:

wheels, tires, and flares

I believe you currently running 15x8 Diamond with 4-7/8" backspacing. Just trying to clarify the correct backspacing for 8".

Thanks.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 23 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #60

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(igo914 @ Nov 22 2009, 05:11 PM) *

I believe you currently running 15x8 Diamond with 4-7/8" backspacing. Just trying to clarify the correct backspacing for 8".

Thanks.

Ivan,

Yes, that's what I was running when I was running the diamonds. I had a little rubbing on the front at full lock, and nothing noticeable in the rear after the "fenderizing". This was running the 225/45-15 Hoosier on the 15x8 diamonds.

I think that a well prepped 914 on 225's can be competitive locally, but nationally will require the 275's.

-Josh2
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 05:36 AM