Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Northern California Road Racing, Running at Sears Pt., Laguna, and T-Hill
dgale914
post Mar 5 2003, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 395
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) If you're driving a 914 in California and you want to get some great quality time on the track at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill, or Buttonwillow, check out this group/club! Members rides, future events, driver education (SCCA instructors), and more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) Additional Laguna and Buttonwillow dates will be posted within the next week, so keep checking for updates if you have one of those two tracks in mind.

It's a great group, multi marque, not snobby, and all about lots of track time under safe conditions for you and your car.

Check it out!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 5 2003, 04:59 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Thanks Doug,

I talked with you guy's last year (NCRC) about instructing and running with your group this past Dec. at Laguna. The timing didnt work out for me. I did some minor work for the other guy running a V8 914 (and 4cyl 914) in your group. His name slips my mind right now...

I could possibly put together a 914 day where we gather 8-10 914's with your group (Thunderhill or Buttonwillow would be safest)

Thanks for speaking up.

B
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 6 2003, 12:15 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Is it better than NASA???

I was really disappointed with my first run with NASA and I got an instructor....about 20+ people in my run group did not get instructors.

I know a few of the other guys got a bad taste thier first time since here they are by themselves to tackle the track with a bunch of other yahoos out there.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast, but I know some of the other people probebly won't do a track event again due to the bad experiance.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Mar 6 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #4

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

Do you need a roll cage etc. to run these events?

Bernie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 6 2003, 01:15 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Not sure about this other run group, but for the slower NASA events, no cage needed.

This was my first time on the track, I was supposed to take my 914 but I broke an exhaust stud the day before the event. I ended up taking my wife's car...I was pretty nervous since she just paid it off about a month earlier (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The car did pretty well considering the size and weight.
For tires, they are 225/45/17 Kuhmos.
+Quote Post
dgale914
post Mar 6 2003, 03:00 PM
Post #6

I noticed a few quesitons since I posted this topic so I'll try to answer them in a single relpy...

1. So we have LOT'S of NASA converts within our group. The NASA experience that one of you mentioned is pretty typical. 'Un-organized, unsafe and too many cars' seems to be the concensus as you walk around the paddock and talk to 1st timers at a NCRC event. We are all about safety for you and your car with Maximum track time! Our run groups vary from track to track but typically consist of 12 to 16 cars at T-Hill and maybe about 20 or so at Sears or Laguna. Sears and Laguna are more expensive tracks to rent so we run a few more cars to keep everyone's cost down.

2. Roll Bars - None needed for 914's. I don't run with one yet. All you need is factory(or better) seatbelts and a SNELL 90 or newer helmet.

3. Yes, it would be nice to see a few more 914's out there - I feel so alone sometimes! Let's get some of you guys out to an event. We have numerous T-Hill dates this year, Laguna events, and also have a Thursday/Friday at ButtonWillow in early October. (some of which are not posted on our site yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Let's do it! Check our event list and let's talk.

Doug
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 6 2003, 03:22 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Thanks for the info Chris...so now where are the pictures of your car (I guess we can see the "shark" as well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

Mueller
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 6 2003, 05:27 PM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(dgale914 @ Mar 6 2003, 01:00 PM)
IOur run groups vary from track to track but typically consist of 12 to 16 cars at T-Hill ...

Holy shit! Only 16 cars on the whole track at TH? Talk about "clean laps"!! You could probably do almost a whole run session without running into traffic...

Kiddies, that's a 3+ mile track. With 16 cars. That's only one car every thousand+ feet.

--DD
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 6 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

I still get giddy when I think about my second time at Thunderhill
....only 2 cars the entire day....we (Butch) put over 300 miles on "Julius" that day.....worked out great for me, I paid for my lunch and that was the only expense all day long that I had (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Helps when you have a truck and trailer and the car owner does not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 6 2003, 06:51 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

At my last track event one of the instructors was using his cellphone while driving a students car... yep, they sure scared off some of the newbies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
dgale914
post Mar 7 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #11

Jeroen,

Where was the event that you mentioned? Was the guy instructing somebody at another track via cell phone or what?

He should be ... : :toilet: for that kind of behavior!

Doug
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 7 2003, 07:56 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Nope, he was trying to buy or sell a car... It was only on a slow speed "recon" session, but still...

That same event was the first time I "kicked" an instructor outta my car
The instructor doesn't introduce him self as he gets in my car. So I pull out onto the track. We're half way round and he hasn't said anything. That's alright with me, I'm not that much of a talker either. I didn't come here to socialize, I came to drive and learn. Since he hasn't made any comments, I'm thinking I'm doing pretty ok.

Then all of a sudden, he tells me I am turning in too late.
Ok, I can take that, I'm there to learn.

Next turn, he starts janking my steeringwheel (he's the passenger) at the point where he thinks I should turn in. It scared the shit outta me and I just sat there like "duh!!!"

Next corner he does it again...

I finished the lap and pulled out into the pitlane. The instructor asks why I stopped.
I kindly asked him to get his stoopid ass outta my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
I expected some debate. He just shrugged his shoulders and send me out on my own...

That was the worst organized track event I've ever been to.
The fact that no accidents happened was more due to the brains of the participants than to the organisers of the event.

I'm sure as hell gonna stay away from those guys in the future...

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
dgale914
post Mar 8 2003, 09:21 AM
Post #13

Jeroen,

Sounds like an instruction experience from hell! I noticed your profile indicates that you're from the Netherlands. Where did this happen and with what group/organization? (you can e-mail me the club name if you don't feel comfortable answering the question in this forum - doug_gale@hp.com)
Doug

BTW- For those of you following this thread, the NCRC instruction staff is consistantly praised by their students after each event. We have a director of instruction who does a very thorough job of screening the instruction staff before they get in the car with anyone. We typically have anywhere from 15 and 22 instructors at our events. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:51 PM