Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear Wheel Bearing / Early 911 Rear Hub Failure, Anyone heard of this happening?????
John
post Oct 7 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

We were prepairing the track car for the last event of the season for us (in a couple weeks) and noticed one of the rear wheel bearings had given up the fight.

The wheel was very wobbly (could move it about 1/4" in most directions). We had not noticed this while driving at the last event, but we did notice that one or more of the brakes was dragging causing the brakes to fade after several hard laps. I had thought it was one of the front 930 calipers hanging up, but after finding this, I am almost certain that this was the problem.

I removed the trailing arm and proceeded to remove the hub to find that the rear hub surface that holds the inner race was badly scored and pitted to the point that it is too far undersize to work with a new bearing. You can visually see where both inner bearing races eroded the outer hub. The inner surfaces of the inner bearing races show no signs of erosion, pitting, or scoring. This is not the condition that the hub was in when I assembled it.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

On another note, the bearing was a real pain in the ass to remove from the trailing arm (even with my 30 ton press) and I have never had that problem before even with nasty rusty trailing arms.

Luckily, I have parts on hand to repair the car.

I will try to post pics of the hub later tonight after I finish putting the car back together.

I am assuming that somehow the inner races may have spun on the outer hub causing the erosion, but I have never witnessed this before.

Anyone have some early 911 outer hubs they want to get rid of?????
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
JOHNMAN   Rear Wheel Bearing / Early 911 Rear Hub Failure   Oct 7 2006, 08:46 PM
PRS914-6   John, that really puzzles me..... As you know, wh...   Oct 8 2006, 08:01 AM
Eric_Shea   I have a 914 hub that one of our fine patrons sent...   Oct 8 2006, 10:33 AM
JOHNMAN   When installed afew years ago, the surface looked ...   Oct 8 2006, 11:16 PM
PRS914-6   John, pop the seals out of the bearings. Do the b...   Oct 8 2006, 11:29 PM
JOHNMAN  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:28 AM