Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boosting a 1.7, Can it be done, or would I be wasting my time?
Jeff73
post Oct 7 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #1

It may be short, but it sure is small!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,220

I know that the subie swap is getting popular. I was wondering if you could turbo the stock 1.7. Probably utilize the turbo off a earlier ford probe or chrysler. They are pretty small. Do you think the motor could handle it? Or should I just quit thinking about it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 7 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

2 guys have done the same thing. keep the boost low enough, and your fine. Fuel management is the hardest thing.

Do a search.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Oct 8 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Search for Airsix, he did a 1.7 and FI, he did convert to SDS or similar FI
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Oct 8 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,842

Of course it can be done. The VW guys do it all the time. There are turbo sizing charts and everything if you look around on the internet. The site below has all kinda of calculators for that stuff.
http://www.turbofast.com.au/
As Andy correctly points out, the big deal is fuel delivery. The stock injection system opperates on manifold vacuum and doesn't understand manifold pressure. You can run carbs, but I personally would go to an SDS injection system found here.
http://sdsefi.com/
With that system you can map your fuel delivery and control your ignition timing with detonation protection all with one modual. Carbs definately can be done and would be a bit cheaper, but they're more much more fidely and you won't get the ignition control. However, there's plenty of people running turbos with carbs in the VW crowd, so there's plenty of info available. You'll just have to find that for yourself.
The other HUGE thing is cooling. More air means more fuel which means more combustion under more pressure meaning more heat. A highly upgraded cooling system and a big external oil cooler would be necessary. A thermostatically controlled electric fan system would be preferable, depending on how much work you want to do.
Those are the two big considerations. Assuming you don't get too rediculous with the boost, the bottom end should be able to take it. Also, the reletively low compression of the 1.7 will be good under boost conditions, especially if you have the US 7.6:1 pistons. It hasn't been done a lot, but take a shot and do something different. You may end up with something awsome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
Mark D.
P.S. Forgive any typos. It's late and I don't feel like proof-reading.
+Quote Post
highways
post Oct 8 2006, 01:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,296

Everything can be done.... everything. That's what I learned recently. Others know much more then me.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 8 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

search, I've posted titles of a few books that are must reads....no kits, everything will have to be custom....if you have to pay someone it'll be very expensive, if you don't have at least a welder and a method to cut metal, it'll be a challange...

+Quote Post
Loser_Cruiser
post Oct 8 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,873
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes Ben (airsix) did turbo his 1.7. I acutally went to his house ounce and he showed it to me. He was using Perfect power fi if i recall. He did it with junkyard parts for the most part. He is or was building a six to put in his car but in the mean time he wanted a lil more pep. I havent seen him around town lately or on the board. His blog shows all his work for the most part though. I think he was running like 7 pounds of boost.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 8 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #8

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

When experimenting, your time is never waisted. The bigest failures are those who fail to try. Money is worthless unless it's invested and yours would be investing it in knowledge and experience. The cheapest approach is to use proven methods and the experience of others. You ain't getting any older and time is a waisting!! Confusious say,"Chop chop!"

:beer1:Let me spend your money wisely for only pennies on the dollar.LOL
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 8 2006, 08:22 AM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Ed Morrow did it back on the East Coast too. His is on his site but he has sold that sweet car. I think he did more than 7lbs...as they are tough little motors.

My son and I are thinking about boosting his 72 with a 1.7L we tossed in to get it running. I want to run more than 10lbs in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff73
post Oct 8 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #10

Thanks guys. I will look take your advice. I am taking the car to the garage next week and pulling the motor to fix the hellhole and such. I want to build everything while the motor is out. Money I do need more, but I got plenty of beer. I'll be fine.
+Quote Post
PORobinSCHE
post Oct 8 2006, 09:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,484

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) okay what about boosting the horsepower thru naturally aspiarated ways? Are the gains worth the effort? i'd like to mildly pump up my 1.7L without robbing a Brinks truck.

Robin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 8 2006, 09:44 AM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Oct 8 2006, 08:39 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) okay what about boosting the horsepower thru naturally aspiarated ways? Are the gains worth the effort? i'd like to mildly pump up my 1.7L without robbing a Brinks truck.

Go to bigger valves (42x36), higher compression (9to1), bigger pistons/cylinders (1911) and a better cam (Raby 9550).

This should get you from 80hp to 'bout 100hp using the FI. If you have carbs a even better cam.

You will need to tune it.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 8 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #13

Aircooled Baby!

a turbo kit

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 8 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #14

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The most power I have gotten from a stock 1.7 engine through my Turbo development has been 150HP, that was running 12 PSI boost- then the pistons went south..

You can make a 1.7 or 1.8 into a 2.0 very cost effectively. I'll be doing a radio show on this topic soon and will be offering a conversion kit for the job immediately following the show. Expect to hear the show in mid November.

Up to 110HP is then a possibility with the stock EFI and no loss of reliability, longevity.
+Quote Post
PORobinSCHE
post Oct 8 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,484

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 8 2006, 12:09 PM) *

The most power I have gotten from a stock 1.7 engine through my Turbo development has been 150HP, that was running 12 PSI boost- then the pistons went south..

You can make a 1.7 or 1.8 into a 2.0 very cost effectively. I'll be doing a radio show on this topic soon and will be offering a conversion kit for the job immediately following the show. Expect to hear the show in mid November.

Up to 110HP is then a possibility with the stock EFI and no loss of reliability, longevity.

that's what i like to hear 'cost effective' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
plus i think 110 h/p in this size and weight care is good. overkill in numbers is fun to talk about but sometimes not useful or practical.

+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Oct 8 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #16

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Oct 8 2006, 10:52 AM) *

that's what i like to hear 'cost effective' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
plus i think 110 h/p in this size and weight care is good. overkill in numbers is fun to talk about but sometimes not useful or practical.

IMHO they are both useful and practical but anyway you swing it it's going to

be expensive, so get what you can with the money you've got. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff73
post Oct 8 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #17

So, what would my expected hp output be if I did a cam swap on my 1.7? Also, what would a 2.0 cost me, and a rebuild for it if needed? Thanks for all the help, just trying to think of my options.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 8 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #18

Aircooled Baby!

check out the engine kits

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=308
+Quote Post
airsix
post Oct 9 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #19

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Who's Airsix? I thought that guy died or something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Loser_Cruiser
post Oct 10 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,873

Hey Ben good to see you around. I noticed that your car was in your drive way awhile back and I thought maybe you were getting ready for WCC but then i didnt see you there. Probably wont see my yellow car to often any more as I am up at WSU and my dad got a new car so he probably wont be driving it to much. Maybe you will see me around though when i am home for a visit, just honk at me or something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 05:08 AM