Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tranny cleaning, Want to shine mine up!
jonwatts
post Oct 10 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #21

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

Looks good there. Wonder how it will hold up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 10 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #22

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Any degreaser works fine

Sorry but the DO pit mag cases. I don't know about easy off but... I used an engine degreaser in my younger years and the case looked horrible. Sever pitting and pock marks on the case.

Walnut seems to be the best if you have access to it.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Oct 10 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #23

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Group: Members
Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Can you say baking soda boys and girls?

Baking soda has the unique ability to convert acids to neutral and bases to neutral.

If you dump a strong base such as oven cleaner onto mag, wash with water and neutralize it with baking soda. You have your car acid dipped, same thing to stop acid from popping out of the seams.

Pour ospho on your hands, grab a box of baking soda. Ospho drips on the concrete and foams up, apply baking soda.

Pool outa balance? Add baking soda.....

Me, I have 4 boxes on the shelf just in case. Comes in really handy.

Kenthebakingsodapusher

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 10 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #24

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Can you say baking soda boys and girls?

Sure... Baking Soda.
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Oct 10 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #25

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113

I know I posted this somewhere, maybe on Pelican. The best degreaser on the planet is M.E.K ( Methyl ethyl ketone) or as we put it Methyl Ethyl Badshit. You can get it at Lowes and or Home Depot. I strongly suggest using chemical gloves folks as this shit can kill you. I also suggest not using it unless you are outside and in a good supply of air. Did I mention it can kill you?...

This will also clean up the most stubborn grease or oil on your concrete. Just pour and then "dab" with old cotton shirt. Stains magically go away once it evaporates.
+Quote Post
IanStott
post Oct 10 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,199

Well thanks to all who chimed in, I am sure I can get it looking nice and clean now without damaging anything. That painted one looks real good in the picture what paint did you use? I think applying some kind of protective finish sounds like a good idea, I live in an area where you always have to be on the lookout for things that can can corrode your veh. I don't plan on driving my teener in the winter but sometimes you get a real nice day and you might want to go for a spin. Here in Moncton they use a lot of salt on the roads and I'm convinced it takes a few rainy days in the spring to get rid of it all.
Ken when was the last time you were in Moncton?
Dr. Evil if you are monitoring this thread thanks for the cool bolts, do you have the gaskets as well?

Ian Stott
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 10 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #27

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hey Ian,
Nope, I dont sell the gaskets because I would be getting them from the same place as you and thus they would cost more from me and be pointless. GPR, Pelican, local VW shop should cary them. OR, you could use RTV which seems the be all of the rage now a days. I am very glad you like the bolts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Oct 10 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #28

English Member

Member No.: 144

I used Gunk last week. Much cleaner but the smell... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
slivel
post Oct 10 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #29

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(IanStott @ Oct 10 2006, 10:33 AM) *

Well thanks to all who chimed in, I am sure I can get it looking nice and clean now without damaging anything. That painted one looks real good in the picture what paint did you use? I think applying some kind of protective finish sounds like a good idea, I live in an area where you always have to be on the lookout for things that can can corrode your veh. I don't plan on driving my teener in the winter but sometimes you get a real nice day and you might want to go for a spin. Here in Moncton they use a lot of salt on the roads and I'm convinced it takes a few rainy days in the spring to get rid of it all.
Ken when was the last time you were in Moncton?
Dr. Evil if you are monitoring this thread thanks for the cool bolts, do you have the gaskets as well?

Ian Stott

I used Rust-oleum "Specialty" High Heat (1200 degrees) purchased at Home depot. The color was Heat Resistant Silver #7716.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 10 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #30

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

The last few gearboxes I had rebuilt (by Brad Mayeur), we cleaned and de-greased, then blasted with walnut shells, cleaned with prepsol, and painted with high temp clear. They came out looking nice, with a even gray finish. Of course we did the clean up and media blasting prior to the rebuild, and then touched up as needed after we got it back.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 26 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #31

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I brought this one back up front cause I was looking for an easier way...there is none.

Up here in the Northeast the damn cases look and feel like corral...all bumpy.

So, did the purple...nope...brake clean...nope...wire brush..nope
Drill with many attachments...nope...still bumpy.

Brought it to the local car wash and power washed all the loose matter off...sand blasted the case..
It looks nice and clean again...
I guess I am getting old, but I am sick and tired of looking at a cruddy tranny with a clean motor...just started to get on my nerves.

I am building a new highway cruiser tranny for my car and I figured I might as well start off clean.

there is no question in my mind...its getting painted...I dont want to do that again...

BTW,,when using Easy off oven cleaner on aluminum or MAG...after you are done you wash it with BORAX...its in the laundy soap isle...use straight borax and it removes the gray/black that easy off can produce.

Rich
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 27 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #32

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Just to add to this, a year or two ago I was semi running a podwer coating shop ( actually hired to start a collision/restoration shop ) and as an experiment I cleaned and coated a tranny case. There was a lot of debate about whether or not it would warp the case to the point it would be un-usable. I can say it was NOT an issue, as the good Doc re-assembled it when he came down a couple months ago and there were no issues.

The DOWN side to coating the case is it has to be COMPLETELY dissassembled. THOROUGHLY cleaned and pre baked before applying the powder. My initial thoughts were to offer the coated cases as an addition to Mikes re-builds. After doing one, it simply wouldn't be fianancially viable as it would be about 500.00 just to properly coat it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) BUT know that if you want to go that route you can, just be prepared $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 27 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #33

Custom Member

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 27 2008, 09:16 AM) *

Just to add to this, a year or two ago I was semi running a podwer coating shop ( actually hired to start a collision/restoration shop ) and as an experiment I cleaned and coated a tranny case. There was a lot of debate about whether or not it would warp the case to the point it would be un-usable. I can say it was NOT an issue, as the good Doc re-assembled it when he came down a couple months ago and there were no issues.

The DOWN side to coating the case is it has to be COMPLETELY dissassembled. THOROUGHLY cleaned and pre baked before applying the powder. My initial thoughts were to offer the coated cases as an addition to Mikes re-builds. After doing one, it simply wouldn't be fianancially viable as it would be about 500.00 just to properly coat it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) BUT know that if you want to go that route you can, just be prepared $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4

mine is total broken down...just the case.
I considered powder coating but the damn thing wont fit in my oven...I tried.
I have the previous kitchen oven out in the garage...I cant close the door...I was bummed.

I think that some high tem paint will be just fine..
I cant stand this bumpy corral feeling...its inside the case also..just on the inner top of the area the gear stack resides...
That will get cleaned also...no paint inside though.

I was really hoping to not have to blast the case...it also wont fit in my cabinet...but the cabinet may get a remodel before I am done...we shall see..might be time for an addition on the cabinet...

I did half of it last night..it only took a few hours but I had sand everywhere..
No work today...gotta stay clean and go to thanksgiving dinner...maybe friday..

Rich
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Nov 28 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #34

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819

Magnesium does corrode and pit and doesn't do well with salt.

But, magnesium can be protected with a coating of zinc.

Zinc chromate is on my tranny.... It's a paint used a lot by the aircraft industries on aluminum parts as a protectorant and as an anti-corrosion coating. Some versions can be fairly hard.

It's usually a funky green or a bright yellow and can add a little bling to the underside of your car. Or add a little silver paint to hide the protective coating

I really have to wonder why people want to have shiny trannys... Darned things can't bee seen from the top of the car, and usually involve lifting the car to see. Wanting bling is a lot less important to me than keeping the 30+ year old parts protected from corrosion.

It just makes me wonder if there are really people with shiney transmissions and mirrors on their shoes... I can envision one now using their mirrored shoes to look up under the car to admire their shiney transmissions..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Me, I got a better use for mirrors on shoes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

KennyWonderingwhohasmirrorsontheirshoes
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Nov 28 2008, 12:22 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 8,088

If ya want a shiny tranny, get one of these:

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Had to be done.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 28 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #36

Custom Member

QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 28 2008, 11:23 AM) *

Magnesium does corrode and pit and doesn't do well with salt.

But, magnesium can be protected with a coating of zinc.

Zinc chromate is on my tranny.... It's a paint used a lot by the aircraft industries on aluminum parts as a protectorant and as an anti-corrosion coating. Some versions can be fairly hard.

It's usually a funky green or a bright yellow and can add a little bling to the underside of your car. Or add a little silver paint to hide the protective coating

I really have to wonder why people want to have shiny trannys... Darned things can't bee seen from the top of the car, and usually involve lifting the car to see. Wanting bling is a lot less important to me than keeping the 30+ year old parts protected from corrosion.

It just makes me wonder if there are really people with shiney transmissions and mirrors on their shoes... I can envision one now using their mirrored shoes to look up under the car to admire their shiney transmissions..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Me, I got a better use for mirrors on shoes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

KennyWonderingwhohasmirrorsontheirshoes

My desire is to have the transmission easier to clean and thus keep the gear oil cooler.
It gets hot enough under there, it needs not help getting hot.
Every tranny I have removed or worked on has loads of grease and dirt on it.
ALSO lots of baked one grease...it takes alot of heat to bake grease one a tranny.

So, I would like to put a finish on that I can literally hose off..Im not nuts...and I am lazy...
I am happy to do this once so I can hose the tranny off once or twice a year and that is all I have to do...I DO NOT want to get under there with a brush....just a hose and maybe some simple green or other stuff.

With all the corrosion that will never happen. It needs a smooth finish..not as smooth as a top end paint job, but alot smoother than corroded mag...

I had mag wheels on a motorcycle once...did the clean up BS for one season...took them off and painted them the color of the bike....simple hose and sponge was all it took from that moment forward.

Rich
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:09 AM