Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pinion Failure-Why?, Gears in disarray
groot
post Oct 9 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Dis member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,444

It certainly could be my fault. I didn't check/set/change the pinion depth when I re-assembled this gearbox 2 seasons ago.

At Mid-Ohio this weekend I couldn't catch 5th... which led to pitiful laptimes.... in the first session. So, I adjusted the linkage thinking that the fork just wasn't pushing the engagement ring far enough.... next session, same thing. I didn't take the start and watched from a corner station.

So, after that I checked the shift linkage, no major issues. I pulled the shift rod holder to look at the shift forks, again no major problems. So, I decided to pull the gearstack and that's when I noticed the pinion pictured here..... still not sure what the problem was with 5th, but it is probably worn synchros.

I rebuilt this gearbox before the start of last season and only refreshed it with parts I had....flipped synchros, better dog teeth, a few gear changes and no bearing changes. I'm only running 150 ponies through this box.

It looks like the pinion isn't meeting the ring at the right angle, but I'm just guessing. Does anybody have input????

.............sorry for the crappy pics, my camera wouldn't focus on the part I wanted ot show.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
groot   Pinion Failure-Why?   Oct 9 2006, 05:52 PM
Aaron Cox   could the bearing in the int plate be "walkin...   Oct 9 2006, 06:02 PM
Brad Roberts   It wouldnt go into 5th because a piece of the pini...   Oct 9 2006, 06:06 PM
Brad Roberts   Check the race in the case also. This is something...   Oct 9 2006, 06:10 PM
drew365   Funny, at the Laguna event I couldn't catch 5t...   Oct 9 2006, 06:27 PM
Brad Roberts   It is pushing back against the selector rod for 5t...   Oct 9 2006, 06:49 PM
john rogers   How hot does the transmission get?   Oct 9 2006, 07:45 PM
groot   Good input peeps. Thanks. The bearing race is sti...   Oct 10 2006, 05:29 AM
Brad Roberts   I had to put a tranny cooler on the FP car I suppo...   Oct 10 2006, 03:43 PM
grantsfo  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:28 AM