Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: philadelphia, know anything about it?
vortrex
post Mar 5 2003, 04:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

anyone on the board from philadelphia? just looking for opinions from the experts on where to live. I'd like a garage (I know, next to impossible in the city) and also not live in the ghetto or near too many old people. I've got to move in 3 weeks, any advice would be great.

also, are there any decent 914 shops in the area?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 5 2003, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

I'm originally from Philadelphia. My parents and my sister still live in the area. My daughter goes to college at Drexel University. And, I have a lot of friends in the area. So, I do know a little about Philadelphia.

Now, regarding where to live, that depends where you are going to be working. You don't want to commute from South Jersey if you're working on the Main Line. There are a lot of different options avalable. Where will your office be?

Now, there is really only one 914 guy in the area. That is Fred Avery at I Service Imports in Cherry Hill, NJ. Fred has been a Porsche wrench for years and at one time campained 914s.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 5 2003, 04:29 PM
Post #3

thanks for the info paul. I will be working in cherry hill, nj. I'll also have a car, so public transport is not much of a concern. just want a decent neighborhood that's somewhat interesting. I'm not too much interested in suburbia.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 5 2003, 04:43 PM
Post #4

OK. Cherry Hill is an interesting area. It has a bit of suburbia, a bit of snobishness but also has a few redeeming values. From Cherry Hill, you can be in Center City Philadelphia in 15-20 minutes if you are not driving during rush hours.

Cherry Hill can be a bit expensive to buy a home, but there are some surrounding communities that are a little more affordable. Are you looking for a house or an apartment?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 5 2003, 04:50 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Cherry Hill Porsche used to sponsor/campaign several 911's in the IMSA days when it was called the EXXON SuperFlow world challenge. I have the Cherry Hill Tee-shirt from 198-something.

Sounds like a nice area.

You'll move just in time to visit the Hershey Porsche swap meet.

B
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 5 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #6

I would be looking to buy a place. I'm actually more interested in living on the philly side and commuting the 8 miles to work in cherry hill. I prefer more of an "urban" setting such as center city or possibly areas like mt airy or germantown (even though I haven't seen that area yet). have you been there? least I could get a garage in those parts.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 5 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #7

The biggest problem with CC, Germantown, Manayunk, etc. will be garage space. Those are some great areas though.

I friend of mine lives at 8th & Kater (1/2 block from South St.). He has a one-car attached garage. He figures that the garage adds about 90K to the value of his house.

Drop me an email with some of the particulars that you may be looking for in a house and neighborhood. I can give you some direction.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Mar 5 2003, 07:30 PM
Post #8

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

They have good steak sandwiches (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 6 2003, 08:32 AM
Post #9

One thing that you should consider about living in Philadelphia is the city wage tax. Even though you will be working in Cherry Hill, you must pay Philadelphia 4.5% of your income for the privledge of living in the city.
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Mar 6 2003, 09:05 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 283

How about Yardley PA nice area not far from what I can remember from
cherryhill or philly
+Quote Post
Zeke
post Mar 6 2003, 09:58 AM
Post #11

Never left, but not right....

Member No.: 197

You should be so lucky as to live near a bunch of "old" poeple. They are home a lot and watch your house. They don't play rap music in the street. They get annoyed easily and are not apt to own some POS dog that barks all night. If I could, I'd be the youngest person for miles. You don't have to watch TV with them or invite them to dinner although you might fine their stories a bit more interesting than say a group of gang bangers out on the street. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 6 2003, 11:15 AM
Post #12

hah, believe me I'd be watching tv and playing bingo with the seniors before I dealt with listening to the gang bangers rap music and their other antics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 6 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #13

could this be a sign? here's a house for sale in center city philly that has a garage (rare), you see what's parked right outside? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 6 2003, 06:33 PM
Post #14

What neighborhood is that?
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 6 2003, 06:43 PM
Post #15

that's the art museum district.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 6 2003, 06:53 PM
Post #16

That area, and the area right around the Ben Franklin Parkway, are great. There is a lot to do and it is a fairly...um, respectable area. However, you should be aware that the neighborhood drastically changes as you get closer to Spring Garden St. and completly changes after Fairmount Ave.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 6 2003, 07:00 PM
Post #17

yeah I was trying to find art museum last week when I was there, but ended up around fairmount ave. I know what you mean. art museum is appealing to me because it's close to the park. my realtor says art museum has really turned around in the last 5 years and the houses are still on avg the lowest priced in center city. definitely will check that area out more when I arrive.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Mar 6 2003, 07:38 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 178

I spent some time in the Malvern area, about 1/2 hour north west of philly. Beautiful area, decent people, great roads. Not sure about the real estate prices, seemed like an upscale area.
I know you said you didn't want ot commute, but in So Cal a 1/2 hour drive is practically next door (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 6 2003, 07:42 PM
Post #19

yeah I am trying to simplify my life. in the bay area I commuted 30 miles each way into silicon valley. I hate traffic. if I live in philly it's about 8 miles I think to the office.
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Mar 6 2003, 07:55 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 403

Hi,

I grew up in Philadelphia and live about 25 miles east of in Medford, NJ. If your single, living inthe city is the way to go. Art Museum, Olde City, Queens Village, and Society Hill would be the places to move to. If your married and have kids, unless you plan to have your kids in private school, you should live in Mt. Laurel, Medford, Medford Lakes or Marlton. More east is better, less congestion.

The wage tax issue is a big issue, in addition to the wage tax, PA state will grab at least 2%. And you can't offset your state bill by the amount you pay the city. Car insurance is terrible in Philadelphia, marginally less in NJ, I would be looking into insurance right now, I moved 10 miles further from Philly and my insurance went down $600/year.

I Service Imports worked on my first 914 in the early 80's. I do my own work now. Outside stuff I take to Three Brothers in Medford.

Good luck on your move. Feel free to look me up.

Carlos

76 2270
76 project
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:56 PM