Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> air impeller removal and replacement, pulley for the alternator without air impeller ??
usa4cheer
post Oct 12 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,592

i am doing an electric fan conversion and removing the big fan case and was wondering what to for a pulley for the alternator belt with out the fan ... i was looking do free up a little hp from getting rid of the fan part of the pulley

help
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 13 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(usa4cheer @ Oct 12 2006, 09:20 PM) *

i am doing an electric fan conversion and removing the big fan case and was wondering what to for a pulley for the alternator belt with out the fan ... i was looking do free up a little hp from getting rid of the fan part of the pulley

help

Type I's (traditional bug motors) use a pulley on the crank, I'm sure you could do the same.

+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Oct 13 2006, 07:45 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

You better consider cooling the alternator also. Remember, there is a vent from the cooling shroud to the back of the alternator. I think many of the newer alternators have cooling fans on the alternator. I think Jake sells a type 1 pulley that mounts to the type IV fan hub as part of his coversion stuff.

As I see that, it moves the pulley aft toward the flywheel a couple of inches so I can't see getting the alternator in it's stock pancake position. It'll be right in the exhaust for #2. Gonna take some real engineering.We need Miles to diagram this. His drafting skills just make things so clear.

Dave
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 13 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Aside from the fact that electric fans are a poor solution, there is a lot of re-engineering to be done. You could leave the whole fan housing in place to mount the alternator, and remove the blades in the fan to reduce power losses, but keep the pulley on the fan. Block off the flow to the engine, and if anything is left it may cool the alternator.

You don't want to cook the alternator. You will need a more powerful alternator just to run the fans. Running the alternator to run the fans is a much larger parasitic loss of power than the crank mounted fan. So expect less acceleration, and be prepared to spend big bucks on a big alternator.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 13 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

on this setup, the alt. is turned around....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-3192-1159402142.jpg)
+Quote Post
bottomend
post Oct 13 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,683

Jake did all the cooling research a couple of years ago and he remardked on this and many other set ups. It's best to get over to the shop talk forums and start looking through the archives of the T4 and Air Cooled tech forums.
+Quote Post
usa4cheer
post Oct 13 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,592

I am only using the car for autocross and not too worried about a big heat build up, because of the short runs, i have a hose going to the alternator vent.
i will check with jake too.
thanks
tim
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 11:03 AM