Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any experience with straight cut gears in a 914?, I'm thinking about it when I do the scooby swap.
RockinOldSchool
post Oct 16 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #1

914 Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,562
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have been mulling over the idea of running straight cut gears in a 901 or G50 when I swap in the STi engine. Was wondering if any of you have run or are currently straight cut gears in a teener. I kinda like the sound and the extra strength. I'm not too worried about excessive noise since the setup I'm running will be loud exhaust, loud turbo and VERY loud blow-off valve.

What are past experiences and opinions (with reason as to why you feel that way)?

I've searched but have not found what I'm looking for. So if this has already been discussed then please just point me in the proper direction.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
slivel
post Oct 16 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #2

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RockinOldSchool @ Oct 16 2006, 12:10 PM) *

I have been mulling over the idea of running straight cut gears in a 901 or G50 when I swap in the STi engine. Was wondering if any of you have run or are currently straight cut gears in a teener. I kinda like the sound and the extra strength. I'm not too worried about excessive noise since the setup I'm running will be loud exhaust, loud turbo and VERY loud blow-off valve.

What are past experiences and opinions (with reason as to why you feel that way)?

I've searched but have not found what I'm looking for. So if this has already been discussed then please just point me in the proper direction.

I don't know that staight cut gears exist for a 901. I've never seen them in my research.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 16 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

nor have I....

you make em, im sure you could sell some...

oh but wait...

there are like 30 ratio's available for a 901.... you gonna make 30 straight cut gearsets???

i think they exist for 915's... i think...

try powerhaus II... or weddle
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 16 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(RockinOldSchool @ Oct 16 2006, 12:10 PM) *

been reading SuperSport or any of those other "tuner" mags??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

1st off, do they exist for our gearboxes??

If so, have you priced them?...I'm guessing they'd be in the $5K - $10K range easily..

They are aviable for the subys I'm pretty sure so it would be a no brainer just to use that transmission....

+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 16 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I don't think its going to be the actual gear that fails on your tranny anyways
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Oct 16 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #6

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Fo what you would pay for the privilege of square cut's I believe you could have

a 915.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 16 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

All of the Hewland and MK5 gear sets are based on the same pinion and input shaft spacing as our 914/901 boxes.

Our tranny is a glorified VW box.

Can he do it? Yes. Will it take some potential special parts? Yes.

Benefit on the street? None.

Benefit for racing? Lift throttle clutchless upshift (or full throttle depending on how often you want to replace the gears) or ignition interupt upshift.

B
+Quote Post
RockinOldSchool
post Oct 16 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #8

914 Junkie

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 16 2006, 01:11 PM) *

been reading SuperSport or any of those other "tuner" mags??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

HELL NO! Just been doing some reading on circuit cars.

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 16 2006, 01:11 PM) *

1st off, do they exist for our gearboxes??

Don't know but my cousin knows someone that could make them for me.

I am however leaning towards the G50.

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 16 2006, 01:14 PM) *

I don't think its going to be the actual gear that fails on your tranny anyways

Neither do I.

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 16 2006, 01:25 PM) *

Benefit on the street? None.

Benefit for racing? Lift throttle clutchless upshift (or full throttle depending on how often you want to replace the gears) or ignition interupt upshift.

If I do this it'll be a weekend warrior/SCCA circuit car at that point. So I'm not looking for benefit on the street. Only on the track.

And this is just a thought. I may or may not actually do it.

And you've gotta admit. Clutchless upshift would be pretty cool.

Now if only there were a way to run a sequential trans... for a semi-reasonable price. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 16 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #9

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

mendiola is coming out with a monster mid engine box... i think you can get straight cuts and sequential or dogless boxes...
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Oct 16 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #10

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

All it takes is Cubic dollars, just like everything else fast related.

BJH
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 16 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

John,

gears aren't that easy to make
they are hardened too.

there is a reason that 901 reproduction gears are selling for 500-700 a piece now.

lots of ways to spend money with more returns on a 914 than this

the G50 is going to be a bunch of weight... use the least/smallest/lightest box that your powertrail will allow.

brant
+Quote Post
RockinOldSchool
post Oct 16 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #12

914 Junkie

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 16 2006, 02:47 PM) *

John,

gears aren't that easy to make
they are hardened too.

there is a reason that 901 reproduction gears are selling for 500-700 a piece now.

lots of ways to spend money with more returns on a 914 than this

the G50 is going to be a bunch of weight... use the least/smallest/lightest box that your powertrail will allow.

brant

I'll want a setup that'll support 500 horse.

I'm not too worried about the straight cut gears, I just thought it was a cool idea.

My setup will start just over stock at about 320 at the crank or so. And when I decide I want more, which most of us always do, it'll be bumped up to the 475+ area.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 16 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

You will never use the G50s strength plus it is a very large tranny and twice as heavy as your 901. There is no reason to go to straight cut gears on the street. It will be noisy as hell. It would be cool for about 30min. After that you will pull the box out and put it in the corner.

You will be so outclassed in what ever SCCA class you can run your car in. I would focus more on suspension and brakes. If you want to go to a more modern tranny look for a Boxster tranny or the Subie tranny.
+Quote Post
RockinOldSchool
post Oct 16 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #14

914 Junkie

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 16 2006, 02:55 PM) *

You will never use the G50s strength plus it is a very large tranny and twice as heavy as your 901. There is no reason to go to straight cut gears on the street. It will be noisy as hell. It would be cool for about 30min. After that you will pull the box out and put it in the corner.

Won't be much of a street car at that point.

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 16 2006, 02:55 PM) *

You will be so outclassed in what ever SCCA class you can run your car in. I would focus more on suspension and brakes. If you want to go to a more modern tranny look for a Boxster tranny or the Subie tranny.

Never said I had to win. I'd just enjoy the race. I used to stoplight race my bug against cars that I stood absolutely no chance against; like a GT2 and a 360 Modena. Knowing I wouldn't win didn't make it any less fun.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 16 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #15

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Them roler bearings in the brass housing is what goes quickly first if I'm not mistaking. Can't we upgrade that component at least and weld the case up like they do for VW tranys?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 16 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Why not use the Suby tranny? Am I missing something here? not sure why anyone would use a 30yo tranny behind a Suby engine.

B
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 16 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

There won't be a race. There will be you riding around a race track getting passed by most of the other guys in SPO. Which is an unlimited class.

You will be competing against 700-900hp fully prepped cars with what is vitually a street car. You will spend the whole race looking in your rearview mirror.

Why not use the Subaru gearbox. It is a much better design than the shitty old 901.
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 16 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #18

914 Wizard

The first rule about racing has always been and will always be to read the rule book first.

then build the car that fits into that rule book.

otherwise you are not really a racer.. you are a hobbyist that likes to drive around in circles non-competetively. Racing is about being competetive and trying to win.

I find great joy and accomplishment out of trying to use rules to my advantage and challenge about trying to remain honest and stay within them. In my opinion, that is a huge percent of what racing is really about. Trying to out think, out fabricate, and also out drive the next guy.

Thats racing.. otherwise its just a car hobby.

I'm not trying to unload or be rude. This is bigger than just you and your plans. I have this feeling often with other guys on this club and wish that they could see why I push them and how much they would enjoy it if they had that insight.

brant

+Quote Post
RockinOldSchool
post Oct 16 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #19

914 Junkie

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 16 2006, 03:25 PM) *

There won't be a race. There will be you riding around a race track getting passed by most of the other guys in SPO. Which is an unlimited class.

You will be competing against 700-900hp fully prepped cars with what is vitually a street car. You will spend the whole race looking in your rearview mirror.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Many appologies oh great one. Would you rather I take the alternative and blast around the county roads?

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 16 2006, 03:25 PM) *

Why not use the Subaru gearbox. It is a much better design than the shitty old 901.

Why waste the extra money on the Subaru gearbox when, as you said above, I'm going to be looking in my rearview the entire time anyway?
+Quote Post
RockinOldSchool
post Oct 16 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #20

914 Junkie

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 16 2006, 04:25 PM) *

otherwise you are not really a racer.. you are a hobbyist that likes to drive around in circles non-competetively.

That'd basically be me. I just wanna push my car without being arrested and having my it impounded. However, I've yet to find any decent time trial opportunities in the local area. Honestly, if I could shut down some back roads, some nice curvy stretches heading up into the mountains over here, I would rather do that. Unfortunately, that's not an option.

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 16 2006, 04:25 PM) *

I'm not trying to unload or be rude. This is bigger than just you and your plans. I have this feeling often with other guys on this club and wish that they could see why I push them and how much they would enjoy it if they had that insight.

No offense taken. I completely understand where you're coming from.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:39 PM