Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear Brake Rotor options
Eddie914
post Oct 19 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Worn rear wheel bearings and the concern about 914 CV joint longevity with the torque of the 3.2 liter Carrera engine motivated me to upgrade the rear drive components on my '71 3.2 six conversion.

Previously, I had utilized stock 914 1.7 axles and re-drilled 5 lug hubs used with 911SC rotors, calipers and an 8mm wheel spacer between the rotor and hub. It was difficult to center the rotor and therefore the rotor would at times rub the brake pad retaining pins. The wheel bearings were worn and hard right turns would result in increased rubbing

Here is what the upgrade involved:

- 911SC Transmission output flange (coarse spline)
- 944 Turbo inner CV Joint
- 914 axle with extended spline shoulder
- 944 Turbo outer CV Joint
- 911SC Stub axle
- 914/6 Wheel bearings
- 911T Wheel hub
- 85mm Bullet nose wheel studs
- 911SC Brake rotors
- 911SC Brake Calipers

The brake rotors are still hitting the brake caliper mounting ears. What are the options? Spacers? Washers? Different rotors? Grinding the ears?

What are the diameter, thickness and offset of 914/6 rear brake rotors compared to 911 rear rotors?

How much space is needed between the rotor and mounting ear? Is heat transfer from the rotor to the mounting ear a major concern if the rotor is very close (0.010") to the mounting ear?

I'd like to eliminate the spacer. Fender clearance when running 911 turbo 16 x 9 BBS RA wheels with 245/45/16 tires is minimal. With the old worn rear wheel bearings the clearance was less than minimal under hard cornering, i.e. most of the raised letter on the tires has been worn off!

Thanks

Eddie
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Eddie914   Rear Brake Rotor options   Oct 19 2006, 10:50 AM
davep   The spacer between the hub and rotor should be 4mm...   Oct 19 2006, 10:57 AM
Mueller  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:22 AM