Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift coupler bushings, ebay mistake or mine?
Bartlett 914
post Oct 23 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I purchased a set of shift coupler bushings on ebay. Cost about 20.00. I could have made them but 20.00 was easy enough. Ad stated they were new OEM. I got them and found the hole for the pin is oversize. The hole measured .500" It is ovaled as stated in the ad. The pin is 12mm (.472") Seller is complaining that I do not know what I am doing and that this (.030") slop is correct. I am dead sure it is not but I have been wrong before.

I suspect that these are either wrong and the seller is a BS'er or they are for a different car and the seller is not familiar with the 914 as he says he is. Has anyone been throuth this before?

BTW he has a very high score. I want to give him the benfit of the doubt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 23 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I think that is for the 911's...according to what I've seen they work fine and it's not something to worry about...
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 23 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Same ones I use and sell, and GPR has 'em, too. What color are they? IIRC, they were never available from Porsche, anyway. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Demick
post Oct 23 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #4

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Like the Capt'n says, the 914 ones (with round holes) aren't available (and may never have been). The 911 ones (with the oval holes) are suitable replacements and work fine. I have them on my car.

Demick
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 23 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 23 2006, 02:44 PM) *

Same ones I use and sell, and GPR has 'em, too. What color are they? IIRC, they were never available from Porsche, anyway. The Cap'n

They are black. But .030 is a huge difference. Maybe they will close a little when pressed into place. Could you measure yours for me. Is the hole oval and .500 in diameter?
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 23 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The red ones I sell are 0.433 wide on the flats, .511 the long way. Elongated like a running track, not oval. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 23 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 23 2006, 04:14 PM) *

The red ones I sell are 0.433 wide on the flats, .511 the long way. Elongated like a running track, not oval. The Cap'n

Thanks for checking on these for me. Yours are different. I only did a quick measurement using a pin gage. The hole is .500 at the smallest and wider by some amount. I think if the pin in the coupling was .500 then this would be a good fit. I can see where having the holes oval will allow the rod some movement that is benifical. But having the fit loose all around only will mean poor shifting. I think I will make my own.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 24 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #8

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Perhaps 10 years ago, after my original coupler bushings disintegrated and fell out in chunks, I ordered replacements from Tweeks and they sent me bushings that appeared to be made of red poly with elongated inner holes. That looked strange to me but the originals were in pieces so I installed them and they worked fine. A couple of years ago I bought replacements from Pelican and they were black plastic with circular inner holes which fit the coupler press-in coupler pin very snugly.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:41 PM