Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> carpet correctness, for a 70 -6 code 31
freezing14
post Oct 25 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #1

freezing14

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,233

ok i have just leaned that my -6 had code 31 interior which is beige, that kinda buzz me becuase it came with a hounds tooth partial,, i needed to redo the whole thing anyway,

if the interior is beige the door panel are beige too, the handle and all that stuff are always black right?????,,

what about the color of the trunks carpet were they beige too, i have never seen beige trunk carpet,,

I have a set of original beige carpet but it is the felt like material,, didnt the -6 came with loop and loop was optional in a -4

who sells a close to original beige carpet ?? morphenspectra??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Oct 25 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Beige perlon (felt-like) is correct for all '70 cars with beige interior, four and six. Loop came later. Not sure about trunk color. I have never seen tan there either.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 25 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Here we go with the early cars again!

From my understanding/experience, the carpet could have been either type on a 914/6. Others correct me here if I'm wrong. Seems to have depended on when the car was built & what options.

I've seen several early cars with the "mouse fuzz" (not my definition) carpet, but more with the loop style. Could it have been a transitional thing, or another case of "what's in the bin" on the production line?

Still, have never seen an original 914 of any kind with F/R trunk carpet other than gray (does not include 916's).
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Oct 25 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I guess I can't say with absolute certainty that early(70-71) cars did not have loop carpet. I can say that I bought a '70 four new and it had the "felt" type. I have owned a very original '71 four and 3 '70 sixes (two gray carpet, one beige) and none had loop carpet. If originality is the goal, best to use what is commonly called Perlon.
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 26 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I just looked through my sample book. 1970 samples are actual materials, from 1971 through 1973 are photos. No 1974 or up info there.
1970 seems to be light brown, beige and black. They call it needle loom carpet. Loop pile does not appear until 1973. The houndstooth looks really nice, with two types: black & white plus black & white & tan. Problem is the codes are all three digit so now we need to translate this code to the two digit code. The samples do not have a color name, just a number.The real leather samples are very nice.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 26 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

My 6 has the light tan basket weave interior, with tan perlon carpet. It's not loop pile. The seats are basket weave and the door panels are smooth grain light tan vinyl. I'll see if I can get a shot tomorrow.

There was also the light tan smooth, which was what I call elephant grain vinyl. A little darker tan, but not brown.

I'm still looking for a nice set of early tan basket weave door panels, if anyone has any......pleeeeeeze!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 26 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(davep @ Oct 26 2006, 08:40 PM) *

I just looked through my sample book. 1970 samples are actual materials, from 1971 through 1973 are photos. No 1974 or up info there.
1970 seems to be light brown, beige and black. They call it needle loom carpet. Loop pile does not appear until 1973. The houndstooth looks really nice, with two types: black & white plus black & white & tan. Problem is the codes are all three digit so now we need to translate this code to the two digit code. The samples do not have a color name, just a number.The real leather samples are very nice.

Dave,

My late '72 has loop pile (charcoal - a blend of black & gray loops). It IS late '72 production, so maybe that's why the loop, though I've seen plenty of app grp 914's from late '71 on that had the same. The needle loom is what a "friend" of mine calls mouse fuzz & was predominant in the very early cars, even with app grp. Some app grp cars didn't even have roof headliners, which was always mouse fuzz.

I dunno, the more I think I know about these beasts, the more I'm surprised. How the heck does one judge originality on the early cars? Used to think I knew.
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 27 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #8

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 26 2006, 05:46 PM) *

There was also the light tan smooth, which was what I call elephant grain vinyl. A little darker tan, but not brown.

Yes, it is more a matter of shade in the two tan colors.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Oct 28 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #9

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

Interior #31 beige w/brown perlon carpet in my 1972 911T.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
freezing14
post Oct 30 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #10

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

here's to add to the question,, was the drop box tan too or black
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Nov 11 2006, 08:13 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE(freezing14 @ Oct 25 2006, 07:23 AM) *

ok i have just leaned that my -6 had code 31 interior which is beige, that kinda buzz me becuase it came with a hounds tooth partial,, i needed to redo the whole thing anyway,

if the interior is beige the door panel are beige too, the handle and all that stuff are always black right?????,,

what about the color of the trunks carpet were they beige too, i have never seen beige trunk carpet,,

I have a set of original beige carpet but it is the felt like material,, didnt the -6 came with loop and loop was optional in a -4

who sells a close to original beige carpet ?? morphenspectra??

Well just checked some pics of a friends 914/6..a 70..
Grey /Charcoal 'Perlon'...
Although my other friends late 71/6 was the loop...
(That was the one with the unique stock tool kit)..
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:25 PM