Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> electrical problem (any thoughts)
MrX
post Oct 31 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,575

I've been lurking here for ages with hardly a post. Finally, I have a question that I hope someone has an answer for. Since my car sits for extended periods of time (I know, I know, drive it more.), I sometimes put a trickle charger on the battery to keep it topped off. Also, I know my alternator isn't working at peak performance. Anyway, Saturday, I had the charger hooked up and the power went off at our house for 5-10 minutes. Several hours later, I tried to start the car...I heard the fuel pump and had engine lights then turned the key to start. Click! Nothing. Nada. No clicking...no engine turnover..nothing. I turned the key off and back on...nothing...no fuel pump no engine lights nothing. I put the charger back on overnight. The next morning again hear the fuel pump see engine lights and then Click!. Then no fuel pump or engine lights on the second try.

My question is this...what is the likelihood that something besides the battery has gotten fried.

I'm hoping the battery has just been drained and recharged too many times...also it could have been drained straight to ground or something with the power outage and the charger hooked up, although I would hope the charger was designed better than that. My worst fear is that there was some sort of power spike which has destroyed something else in the electrical system.

Any ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
MrX   electrical problem (any thoughts)   Oct 31 2006, 08:50 AM
bd1308   I'm thinking your battery is hosed, but i dont...   Oct 31 2006, 08:59 AM
bd1308   I'm thinking your battery is hosed, but i dont...   Oct 31 2006, 08:59 AM
Dr Evil   Time to check your grounds and starter. If your st...   Oct 31 2006, 09:30 AM
MrX   Thanks for the input. I'll check with the vol...   Oct 31 2006, 10:16 AM
bob174   First thing, put a known good battery in there and...   Oct 31 2006, 12:39 PM
MrX   Yep, I don't have an extra battery laying arou...   Oct 31 2006, 12:52 PM
Matt Meyer   Anyone who sells automotive batteries should be ab...   Oct 31 2006, 01:33 PM
MrX  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 01:29 AM