Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What I learned working on my 914 today..., the good and the bad
biosurfer1
post Oct 31 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #1

Teener fo Life!

Group: Members
Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

#1(and most important) Using a rag to stop oil from leaking out of the oil bath filter is a good idea...forgetting about it and leaving it there to get sucked in is not. luckily no damage except the ego and a few hours trying to figure out wtf the car wouldnt idle correctly.

#2 a rule I came up with today: Whatever you put into a car, make sure to take the old one out. Oil, oil filter...and SPARK PLUGS!! the PO was nice enough to leave an old spark plug to rattle around beneath the engine tin.

i'll be picking up some seals tomorrow to see if i can stem some of the leaks. hopefully that was the end of the suprises.

a couple questions..since i'm still waiting for my hanyes manual, what is the correct way to set the idle for a 1.7? I know its supposed to be at ~900rpm when warm, but what needs/doesnt need to be hooked up when setting the screw. to get to the idle screw, i have to remove the air filer, but there are vacuum hoses attached to it, so do those have to stay attached?

what is the warm up process for the 914? what opens/closes and in what time frame? i'm trying to figure out what is missing because it seems like mine is not doing what is supposed to. it wants to go straight to regular idle which doest work on a cold day, so i have to make it idle more until it warms up.

I will say though, when I had my first 914 3 years ago, I don't believe I was ready (mechanically and financially) to own one, but now that i feel like i am, not only do i think the work is do-able, but also pretty fun, if not a bit frustrating at times....although what fun would it be if everything was easy the first time?!?!?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

thanks everyone for the support!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:49 AM