Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2.0 block and 912E heads, Thinking about "just" a top-end rebuild and changing pistons
Carlitos Way
post Nov 1 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #1

I did it MY WAY

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

I'm not dead-set on this, but I'm thinking this will buy me some time so I can pull the other engine from the car and work on really building that one up.

Here is what I'm seeing.

The engine I picked up at the swap meet seems to have been "recently refreshed"... at least the heads. I can see where the name "Bruce" was printed with permanent market on the outer surface that faces the block.

I took off one of the heads (the one that had the rocker arm assembly loose) and saw that the cylinders, especially the right rear (forgot cylinder number) cylinder have some scouring and lines going up and down.

I took out my handy-dandy micro-gage and confirmed that I have 94 mm pistons. I was initially thinking about doing a complete rebuild, but I'm very tempted to save some money at this time and just get this one "closer to right" rather than building the monster I was thinking about.

I've seen West Coast Core is selling 96 mm pistons and cylinders sets on e-bay. I am not sure if that's the best way to go, but they sure have an "affordable" price point.

Apart from this, I'm guessing a change to a more "beefed up" oil pump and a deep sump should be a good idea. Engine is already out, and I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to have more oil flowing through.

I'm thinking about having the heads checked and cleaned, and perhaps welded for the exhaust breathers.

Any thoughts or ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Carlitos Way   2.0 block and 912E heads   Nov 1 2006, 08:47 PM
Al Meredith   Do you have any idea if the cam is stock ????   Nov 1 2006, 09:00 PM
Carlitos Way  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:06 AM