Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cage Design, Are they really worth it in an auto-x
914forme
post Nov 4 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

It is now offically cold here in Ohio, it will warm up a couple more times this year, so now it is time to ask questions and plan a little.

So is a cage really that inportant to an auto-x car. I was looking at the Spec Boxster build and noticed just how low the weight was on that really nice cage. Since in my class I can lose upto 100 pounds before gaining points, and moving up a class it makes for an interesting balancing act.

So cage <> No cage

I just loose a few pounds off the car to make up for the added weight of the cage.

So is it really worth it. I run the Engmann kit which was 15-16 pounds, the removal of all the floor tar took care of that. I actually lost ~7 pounds over all. I have seam welded and reinforced the rear arm mount points. Since I have take points for all that, and a cage is free unless I tie into pickup points, I think it is a logical step in the stiffness direction.

Since I don't live in the bay area, I can't drop the car off at TCdesign, and have it done, and RacerChris is also to far away, so I will have to either go bolt in, or have one custom built here locally. I know a few certified welders in the area, pipe fitters by trade for jet engines, and the others build Nuclear Power plants. But they are not cage designers.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
914forme   Cage Design   Nov 4 2006, 08:54 PM
URY914   My short answer: If this is only an a/x car and it...   Nov 4 2006, 09:19 PM
nebreitling   how serious are you about AX? i think it's wor...   Nov 4 2006, 09:26 PM
J P Stein   For my class I have to run one....and so does Paul...   Nov 4 2006, 09:34 PM
Jeroen   unless you tie the cage to the suspension mounts, ...   Nov 5 2006, 06:02 AM
groot   Personally, I think the stiffness of these cars is...   Nov 5 2006, 09:32 AM
J P Stein  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:00 AM