Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who is going to TMR at Infineon Nov 12th?
Trekkor
post Nov 13 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #61

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Good job Bill.

Did the Boxster feel similar to the old #628 914-6 winged car?

KT
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 13 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 9 2006, 09:01 PM) *

It's going to be a great day.

...and I finally got a lap timer.

KT

And Trekkor this is the Winch you can get down the street in American Canyon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=43331

And it's only $39 bucks. I've had one for 3 years and it never failed. Great for those end of day tasks, hey?
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 13 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #63

I do things...

Good call on the winch.

I bet I can tap 12v power off the truck's wiring harnes for the trailer.

KT
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 13 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #64

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Holy shit.. the guy with the Suby wrapped it up??

I have pics of the car BEFORE.. Tiffani took them. She liked that car!!

Good news on the Boxster Bill! I decided not to tell you that one of the fast BoxsterS drivers down here runs high 58's at Sears with JRZ's and similar tires.

I knew you would come on stronger as you got more comfortable in the car. Reading the tire temps that session told me a lot (he is scared..LOL) This one has NO HP to compensate for minor "mistakes" in driving. You have to be on the gas at all times with just enough brake to settle the car!!

Cant wait to see the data!!

B
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 13 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 13 2006, 05:00 PM) *

Good call on the winch.

I bet I can tap 12v power off the truck's wiring harnes for the trailer.

KT

I ran a heavy gauge wire from the battery back to a female connector on the bumper. I think you do need a pretty heavy wire to handle the amps that winch draws.

In retrospect I'd just get a long set of jumper cables and when you need them, just hook up the positive to the battery, in the front of your truck and the winch in your trailer box. That way your winch is secure and if you need them you have a set of battery cables.

I might still have the female/male connector if you want to go that way.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 13 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #66

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 13 2006, 05:04 PM) *

Good news on the Boxster Bill! I decided not to tell you that one of the fast BoxsterS drivers down here runs high 58's at Sears with JRZ's and similar tires.

I knew you would come on stronger as you got more comfortable in the car. Reading the tire temps that session told me a lot (he is scared..LOL) This one has NO HP to compensate for minor "mistakes" in driving. You have to be on the gas at all times with just enough brake to settle the car!!

B

I'm sure Bill is still getting use to the feel of this car. I know I was still getting comfortable with the recently converted 914-6 on my second day at Infineon. I'm sure he will drop a few more seconds out there. Not bad at all for so little seat time in the Boxster.

I would bet the spec Boxsters will get into mid to low 1:5X's at Infineon once people get comfortable with them and have ideal conditions.

...Bad news is Spec Miatas are doing 1:55's at Infineon. Spec Miatas just fly there! I study Spec Miata guys a lot since my 165 HP 914 is similar in power. I note that they dont use all the track often and really hug the Carousel.

http://www.trackfreak.com/media/Infineon_2...CCA_RegRace.mov
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 13 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #67

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

Spec Miatas just fly on Infineon. I study Spec Miata guys a lot since my 165 HP 914 is similar in power. I note that they dont use all the track often and really hug the Carousel.

yeah, but they "can't" use all the track: 1) in a race, 8 guys will pass you if you apex to late; and 2) they don't have enough power to use all of the track all of the time, so they'd better protect the inside line.... cool video!
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 13 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #68

I do things...

Pics are already up... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

The guy posted his deal-
Oooopsie

KT

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Nov 13 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #69

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

I think the Spec Boxster will be a low to mid 50's car at Sears. I've been playing with my Traqmate Ack data and one of the nice things about it is that you can break the track into segments and analyze the segment times. If I piece together the best times from each of the segments that I drove on Sunday, the car turned a 1:56.8, which ain't bad considering I was braking way early and coasting through turns. I may never link everything together perfectly to get this time, but realistically I think it will happen. I drove terribly Sunday and I didn't feel on my game, so I played it real conservative and enjoyed the process of the car sorting. When you're not your best, Infineon is not the place to push your limits.

What really surprised me was how "soft" the car felt, even with 450lbs springs up front and 500lbs springs in the rear. My 911 feels much stiffer, and has a 350/550 combo.

B,

For setup comparison to your black car, I had the front bar set 2nd hole from stiffest and rear bar fully soft. I ended with the front shocks set at position 3 and rear at position 6 (1 firmest, 9 softest). What AR bar settings are you using for the shorter courses like Infineon and what do you use at high speed tracks like Thill? Thill will be next for us to test at.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Nov 14 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #70

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 13 2006, 09:55 PM) *

I had a sense it was him. I think he had less serious accident at Laguna too. I ran into him on Hwy 84 once. He was driving over his head on the street too. How about this picture of Mr. Hot Dog on T Hill? I have a hard time with those who drive over their heads in a track day event.

(IMG:http://vtluu.net/images/2wheel_500.jpg)

It is amazing to me how many of the folks that have a big OFF like this usually have a history of doing this kind of thing...they get away with it a few times and feel that they have it all under control...then they go to a track like Sears or Laguna and find out that those two tracks are very unforgiving....
These are the ones I want to stay away from on the track....

That is why I tend not to go out with a lot of other groups...

Most of the time with Porsche groups, I know, or my friends know who to watch out for on the track...

This guy is just lucky he did not gather up someone else in his little mess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Nov 14 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #71

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

don't think we will be seeing much of that paricular "Canuckmobile" for a while if ever....

I will just be on the look out for a Ricer with a maple leaf graphic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 14 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #72

Advanced Member

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 13 2006, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 13 2006, 05:04 PM) *

B

I'm sure Bill is still getting use to the feel of this car. I know I was still getting comfortable with the recently converted 914-6 on my second day at Infineon. I'm sure he will drop a few more seconds out there. Not bad at all for so little seat time in the Boxster.

I would bet the spec Boxsters will get into mid to low 1:5X's at Infineon once people get comfortable with them and have ideal conditions.

...Bad news is Spec Miatas are doing 1:55's at Infineon. Spec Miatas just fly there! I study Spec Miata guys a lot since my 165 HP 914 is similar in power. I note that they dont use all the track often and really hug the Carousel.

They were doing 1:55's on Hoosiers.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 14 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #73

Advanced Member

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 13 2006, 09:55 PM) *

I had a sense it was him. I think he had less serious incidents at Laguna too, has had high speed off track spins at BW and a couple at T Hill too. I ran into him on Hwy 84 once. ...no comment. How about this picture of Mr. Hot Dog on T Hill? His car was spewing oil at T Hill event too from what I remeber reading. I have a hard time with those who drive over their heads in a track day event.

(IMG:http://vtluu.net/images/2wheel_500.jpg)

What I heard (directly) was that the oil thing just started happening. As said before, given the amount of oil in the engine compartment he could have easily oiled one of the rear tires. I didn't see anyone cleaning oil from the bottom of the car after any of the morning sessions, just the engine compartment.

Sorry, but that is just nuts.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 14 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #74

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Nov 13 2006, 09:43 PM) *

I think the Spec Boxster will be a low to mid 50's car at Sears. I've been playing with my Traqmate Ack data and one of the nice things about it is that you can break the track into segments and analyze the segment times. If I piece together the best times from each of the segments that I drove on Sunday, the car turned a 1:56.8, which ain't bad considering I was braking way early and coasting through turns. I may never link everything together perfectly to get this time, but realistically I think it will happen. I drove terribly Sunday and I didn't feel on my game, so I played it real conservative and enjoyed the process of the car sorting. When you're not your best, Infineon is not the place to push your limits.

What really surprised me was how "soft" the car felt, even with 450lbs springs up front and 500lbs springs in the rear. My 911 feels much stiffer, and has a 350/550 combo.

B,

For setup comparison to your black car, I had the front bar set 2nd hole from stiffest and rear bar fully soft. I ended with the front shocks set at position 3 and rear at position 6 (1 firmest, 9 softest). What AR bar settings are you using for the shorter courses like Infineon and what do you use at high speed tracks like Thill? Thill will be next for us to test at.

Bill P.

My view is that it's a good day if you start "with snow on the ground" doing 2:30's, then adjust the suspension and tire presssures and get down to a 2:00 - and never really test the limits of the brakes or tires.

All in all the smart way to go about it - with the bonus that we sure figured out some faster lines during the process.

Thanks again for the ride Bill.

Great day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 14 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #75

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

I agree whole-heartedly with everyone's sentiments here, but unless you are willing to only run with groups of known drivers (like dan), i just don't see how you can eliminate the "yahoo factor". that guy (or the guy who stuffed his rented ASC car) could have easily gathered up one of you out there -- i.e. one of you who don't have a SFI-5 drivers suit, hans, full-cage, etc. (not that I ever had a hans or a front hoop; and not that any of that stuff would guarantee your safety).

My only point here is that we should not be surprised by this stuff; but rather get comfortable with the idea of that we could get seriously hurt out there, and make our decisions accordingly....
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 14 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #76

914 Freak!

He needs a 1.7 914...

Bill,

The only tight track setup I have right now is Streets and it "kinda" compares. I havent ran the car on ANY technical tracks like Sears or Laguna. I have good seat time at CA Speedway/Willows/Buttonwillow/Streets. None of those tracks even compare. They are what I call "fast" tracks.

I wanted to stay badly and help out, but I didnt/couldnt send her home to drive by herself for 8+ hours. She told me to stay and hop a flight home... I couldnt do it to her.

Going over what you have posted about the setup:

I do run the rear bar full soft for Streets and the shocks set at position 3 (rear) I havent tightened the front bar down that far. I run the middle hole for Streets and position 4 on the front shocks.

WillowSprings: I leave the front bar where it is and go to position 2 on the front shocks. Position 2 from full hard on the rear bar and same setting for rear shock (3)

I may have to fly in and out or bring the black car to THill. I wanted to run THill this year.

B

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 14 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #77

914 Freak!

Nathan nailed it.

During my first SCCA licensing school I complained about a "Yahoo" who couldnt keep his RX7 on the track in front of me. He was the son of some famous NorCal SCCA racer and everyone knew him.. my complaints fell on deaf ears. My "instructor" told me to get used to it and "shut up", it is all part of the game. When you see him next on the track.. avoid him like the plague. Pass him as fast as possible and stay away from him.

The fact that we can now "show" others with digital pics on forums is GREAT compared to what I had back then. I had NO idea who I could trust and who I couldnt. The key is: these people weed themselves out. Keep running with the same groups and you will learn who is "good" and who isnt. You'll learn to recognize their cars quickly as you come up on them or if they are sitting on grid with you. Others will talk about it also.

Get used to it. For every "normal" driver.. you'll have 3 Yahoo's.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 14 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #78

914 Freak!

Trekkor time!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Nov 24 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #79

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290

+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 09:41 PM