Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> steel wheels, what was original?
type11969
post Nov 9 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Pete-

Thanks for the tip, and good luck with the tests/admission process! I'm not interested in moving to the midwest though, hell, I'm not really interested moving out of Philly right now with the 3 car garage 1 mile from Center City that I have. And with solid institutions like UPenn, Drexel, and a lesser Temple, I should be able to swing a good education locally. Although depending on what MIT says, I may have to bail on the Philly scene.

-Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 9 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #22

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(nycchef @ Nov 7 2006, 10:50 PM) *

Wheels should have been a satin silver, with flat black bolt areas and backsides.

mine are 5.5's with 205/55's on them. that is exactly the finish i want . how did you do it? thanks. by the way beautiful car.

Mine are 5.5's also. They were rusty messes when I got them. Gave my originals to a friend for a vDub when I went to my first set of chromies.

Had these bead blasted & resprayed w/Wurth about 17 years ago, so I could have a concours set w/165's on them. Usually run a wider offset of chromies w/Aoo8's on them when not going to a concours.

Unfortunatley, the guy who did these wheels went out of business 6 months ago! He did excellent work (Cincinnati). Don't know what he's up to now, since I live in Philly these days, but if you come accross a guy named Forry Hargitt - get in touch. He's also built some VERY potent track engines for 914's & 911's, so he knows what he's doing.

Attached is what I usually run.....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Nov 11 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #23

mechanical moron

Member No.: 5,202
Region Association: None

found a blasting set up i think i can use. owner tells me it is set up for sand. heard somewhere not to use sand. i can buy whatever medium that is best. is it bad to use sand? or is there no difference.
+Quote Post
dtravni
post Dec 24 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 4,993

QUOTE(nycchef @ Nov 7 2006, 05:16 PM) *

have steel wheels on my 73 1.7. look like they were painted black. the spare is silver. here's the question . what would have been original or stock for my year? would like them to be silver but want to try to keep the car as original as possible. i actually like them. am i nuts? if anyone has pics that would be nice.

ritchie - i have the 4-bar steel wheels on the 'original' (the 72 that started it all when Tyke was about 13) - i sanded them down & sprayed them with an aluminum wheel paint (get at auto parts stores) - silver would be gaudy. then i went over it with acrylic clear to seal it & give it some durability. results were terrific - the clear added a bit of depth to them. can't beat the price either.

'am i nuts?' - you're still hangin on to your 914, aren't you?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)

daryl

+Quote Post
nycchef
post Dec 25 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #25

mechanical moron

[quote name='dtravni' date='Dec 24 2006, 05:06 PM' post='837503']
[quote name='nycchef' post='811566' date='Nov 7 2006, 05:16 PM']
'am i nuts?' - you're still hangin on to your 914, aren't you?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)

daryl
[/quote]

no plan on selling my 914, so i guess i,m the one whose nuts. just haven't done any work on it. happy holidays (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Dec 25 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #26

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Be advised that the dealers back in the 70s liked to play fast and loose with wheels....I remember spares that came from the factory ending up in the parts department......

Four cars, four spares, you suddenly have a "full set" of brand new alloys to sell as an "upgrade" to a car with "only" steelies...

Anyways...a 4.5 steel wheel, while original is flat out an unsafe wheel/tire combo in my opinion......

There are PLENTY of nice steel 5.5s, 6s and even 7s that can be had in paint or chrome. They can come in the proper offset and you can get some decent rubber in there.

At one time the XLUB, had a deal with www.jbugs.com to supply proper custom offsett 4x130 wheels for out 914s....you have to call them, it's NOT listed on the online catalog.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Dec 25 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #27

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rich, I have a set of steel wheels off of a 71 that im parting out with the baby moon hubcaps. Rick Ollah may want the car as a roller, but if I do cut it up you can have the rims, I am buddies with a wheel refinishing shop in town and could have them blasted for you pretty cheap.
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Dec 26 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #28

mechanical moron

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 25 2006, 09:04 AM) *

Rich, I have a set of steel wheels off of a 71 that im parting out with the baby moon hubcaps. Rick Ollah may want the car as a roller, but if I do cut it up you can have the rims, I am buddies with a wheel refinishing shop in town and could have them blasted for you pretty cheap.

thamks. i am gonna have the rims done locally , but am interested in a good set of hubs. keep me in mind
+Quote Post
black73
post Dec 26 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 3,801
Region Association: South East States

Anyone else have wheels painted body color?Attached Image
Looking at this picture, it was probably the orange wheels that made me want to change the car to black, which I now regret. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 26 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

My spare tire on my 73 is painted light ivory to match the body. Original unused spare tire to boot.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 26 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #31

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

if you need sand blasting done, look for a gravestone etching place...they have he equipment, and they need filler work.

Usually pretty cheap.

Rich
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:18 AM