Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0 Engine Analysis, Taking it apart
Carlitos Way
post Nov 8 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #21

I did it MY WAY

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks for the words of caution. Amazingly enough, I have been labeling everything and trying to keep it all smooth and organized. I am planning on sending everything out to be machined... heads, bottom end, etc. Still haven't decided on crankcase (re-machined or new) and cam. I'm suspecting the Webcam 86a may be my best bet if I stay with 96 MM pistons/cylinders. I don't plan on changing the crank/stroke unless I have to... and I am hoping to have the case align bored and all machine work done by a reputable company.... speaking of which I'm happy to accept suggestions on a machine shop near the San Fernando Valley. I am also thinking about sending the heads to RIMCO... that's probably a ways down the road, as I plan on doing the bottom end, and waiting until I have the $$$ to proceed with the heads. I think since I have the 912E heads, I will have to get them welded for the air breather tube. Not sure if I want to use a smaller spark plug, but it sounds like a reasonable modification "while we're at it."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 8 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Nov 8 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Thanks for the words of caution. Amazingly enough, I have been labeling everything and trying to keep it all smooth and organized. I am planning on sending everything out to be machined... heads, bottom end, etc. Still haven't decided on crankcase (re-machined or new) and cam. I'm suspecting the Webcam 86a may be my best bet if I stay with 96 MM pistons/cylinders. I don't plan on changing the crank/stroke unless I have to... and I am hoping to have the case align bored and all machine work done by a reputable company.... speaking of which I'm happy to accept suggestions on a machine shop near the San Fernando Valley. I am also thinking about sending the heads to RIMCO... that's probably a ways down the road, as I plan on doing the bottom end, and waiting until I have the $$$ to proceed with the heads. I think since I have the 912E heads, I will have to get them welded for the air breather tube. Not sure if I want to use a smaller spark plug, but it sounds like a reasonable modification "while we're at it."

Len at HAM or Adrian at Headflowmasters for head work...guess you didn't see the head thread a couple of weeks ago......
+Quote Post
Cruzing
post Nov 8 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,082

I just went through a 2.0 rebuild with a very good porsche mechanic, he warned and I found out that the 2.0 heads are going to be a problem, they do not make new ones anymore so all you get are remanufactured ones, I have gone through 4 heads failing now, valve seats slaping out on the exh. side, I gave up and now installing a 6 cyl...

good luck on your project, hope you have better luck than I did... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Nov 8 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 366

probably you will then need to have all the seats redone by someone that knows what they are doing. a dropped seat can ruin you engine, and since they are unknown?????? I would assume the seats can be done right, but you got to find someone that does them right.

i have heard one right way is to cool the seats, and heat the head, and have it all machined so that it is a really big interfernce fit (when at room temp). I have heard of LN2 used to cool the seats, and use a small oven to warm up the heads.

this is best left to someone that will warrent them, if they stand behind the work, and have good references you should be ok. if any ole machine shop just trries to press new seats in at room temp, you proabably are going to have trouble later.

sorry i don't have recommendation, but that is what i have heard
+Quote Post
Cruzing
post Nov 8 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7,082

QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Nov 8 2006, 07:43 PM) *

probably you will then need to have all the seats redone by someone that knows what they are doing. a dropped seat can ruin you engine, and since they are unknown?????? I would assume the seats can be done right, but you got to find someone that does them right.

i have heard one right way is to cool the seats, and heat the head, and have it all machined so that it is a really big interfernce fit (when at room temp). I have heard of LN2 used to cool the seats, and use a small oven to warm up the heads.

this is best left to someone that will warrent them, if they stand behind the work, and have good references you should be ok. if any ole machine shop just trries to press new seats in at room temp, you proabably are going to have trouble later.

sorry i don't have recommendation, but that is what i have heard

Finding a good shop to do it with warranty, tough one to find.
I am in San Diego, there is only one place to go, they would not give a warranty due to past problems with the heads, they would review the failure, then determine workmanship or not failure, you know what there findings would be,, my wallet in there hand... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #26

I did it MY WAY

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 8 2006, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Nov 8 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Len at HAM or Adrian at Headflowmasters for head work...guess you didn't see the head thread a couple of weeks ago......

I'm sure we've all heard of Len... but Who's Adrian? does anyone have any comments or experience? where are they both located?
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Nov 9 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #27

Dr

Member No.: 4,832
Region Association: None

if you listen to jakes radio show this weeks and last, you would have heard the head special that is still in effect from len, if i needed heads done right now thats the path i would takelisten hear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #28

I did it MY WAY

Thanks... I'll have to make some time to listen to it today when I get home from work.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 9 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #29

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Adrian == Headflow Masters, AKA Audirac. It looks like his website is gone, now. I think he's in the SD area...

--DD
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #30

I did it MY WAY

Some more pictures:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #31

I did it MY WAY

It's not so hard to take apart.... so far... I'm wondering if the uneven discoloration is normal? Darker on the sides than on the front and back (My terminology still sucks)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #32

I did it MY WAY

Another view of the pistons.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #33

I did it MY WAY

Here's a picture of one of the heads. Looks pretty clean, even though I didn't spend much time looking at it. The other head has a faint "bruce" printed on the inside. I'm guessing these heads were worked on recently.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #34

I did it MY WAY

Going a little out of order here.Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #35

I did it MY WAY

After removing the oil pump. I wish I knew how to tell if this oil pump is good... or if I should go with a different oil pump. My thought is I would like to go with an external oil cooler when I rebuild, but I'm not sure how to plumb it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #36

I did it MY WAY

So this is what it looks like inside!!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #37

I did it MY WAY

Finally got it off the engine stand. Had to get the kids to unbolt it while I put it on the work table. Hopefully the plastic top won't be a problem when i rebuild.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #38

I did it MY WAY

I'm getting ready to take this case apart, but before I do, I'm wondering if I need to remove the studs, or if I should leave them on for now. I'm also wondering which side should go "down" when I finally open the case (after I find all 20 bolts)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #39

I did it MY WAY

I decided to take a couple of extra pictures. This is the left rear cylinder. Some day I will learn which cylinder number it is. The other pistons and cylinders look pretty much the same.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 9 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #40

I did it MY WAY

Reverse view. I'm wondering... can someone explain the different coloration? Is that "blow by" that causes the piston to turn dark on the sides? poor rings?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:23 AM