Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 CV joint. Same as 914-4?
914chris
post Nov 9 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,701
Region Association: None

I was wondering if there are any differences between the 914-6 and 914-4 CV joints. Also if the axles are different?
I think I may have a bad CV. I am taking them apart and cleaning and re-gresing them, but with the 914-4 CV out of production I am wondering if the 914-6 people are in the same boat. Thank you for the info.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brp914
post Nov 9 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

I have a joint I took off my factory 6 years ago. It has 25 splines. I was told that as of 15 years ago or so, the replacement -6 axle came with -4 joints. The -4 joint may have diff # of splines. Performance Products lists the -4 joint as well as the -4 axle as nla. They still list the -6 complete axle with price ($486). Dunno whats up with that.
+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Nov 9 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,444
Region Association: South East States

I had a helluva time finding -6 CV joints several years ago when I replaced mine. Not sure what the difference was, but they were not the same.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Nov 9 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #4

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

They have a different spline count, and a six axle with four CV's is simply four axle assembly plain and simple. They interchange, and I don't think one is any stronger than the other. Why the factory had two different setups is anyone's guess. Maybe the six setup was sourced from Porsche and the four was sourced from VW?
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 9 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

914/6 CV joints have been effectively NLA for more than 20 years. Every once in a while one shows up out of somebody's stash, but not often. The spline count is different than the 914/4 units. Early 911 (pre 1969) CV joints are also NLA. Getting to be a bit of a problem. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Nov 9 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So if mine are fine (I think they are), what sort of inspection/lube schedule do you suggest to keep them that way for as long as possible?

Skip
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 10 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

I just checked my old 914 factory parts book, and they have different part numbers for the -4 and -6 complete axle assemblies, but only one part number for the actual CV joint. I would take that to infer that they are the same. I'll have to measure my axles as I have both and see if there is any difference in diameter or other noticeable difference between the two. I know they do interchange with no problem.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Nov 10 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #8

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 10 2006, 04:39 PM) *

I would take that to infer that they are the same.

You can infer until the cows come home, still won't make it so. The entire assembly is interchangeable, but a four CV will not work with a six axle, and visa versa. Aside from the different spline count, the last set I compared had a different ball size between the four and six, but I doubt one was any better than the other.

For all practical purposes, the best bet today for a six owner in need of CV's is to round up a set of 914-4 axles and go with the CV's that Eric and Mueller are offering. The price is very reasonable, and they will last an extremely long time in a daily driver. For a high hp setup like a big six, suby, or V8 it would be worth going to a stronger CV setup if using the 901 trans. For everyone else it's a perfect solution.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 10 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I have a 914/6 CV joint... new in the box. Unfortunately, it's packed with all my crap. When I get it unpacked (December? January?), I'll snap some pictures comparing a /4 and a /6 CV... if anyone cares by then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 10 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

I know that the assembled axle can be exchanged from a 4 to a 6, did not know about the different spline numbers. The parts book doesn't have listings for the axle without the CVs, so you're right if the spline count is different. I'm only suprised that it doesn't have a part number for a 914-6 CV by itself. Obviously, not meant to be replaced by itself as far as the factory was concerned.

Makes me wonder what other cars may have used the same 914-6 CV. I'm sure Porsche didn't have them made up for the rather small run of 914-6s, but would use something from Lobros catalog.

Just wondering, never try to second guess those Germans!
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Nov 11 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #11

Okay, this raises an obvious (to me, anyway) question. I have a /6. If I crawl underneath it can I tell if it has /4 or /6 axle assemblies without dismantling everything? Count exposed bits of splines or something?

Regarding whether or not /6 CVs were standard Lobro parts or not, if they were something standard, you'd a thunk someone would have figured out the appropriate cross reference by now. Maybe they were in the Lobro catalog but weren't sourced by any of their customers...

Skip
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 11 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #12

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Luckily for me, the 914-6 axle shafts (and hence CV joints) have the same number and size splines as 911 cv-joints. I simply turned the axle shaft shoulders down a bit and 911 CV joints fit like a glove.

New CV joints (and an available supply). I converted the outer stub axle to 911 parts to accept the larger 911 CV joints, and I went with coarse splined transmission output flanges to convert to the 911 CV joints. All factory parts. Just the 914/6 axle shafts were modified slightly.

To answer the original question, NO the 914/6 and the 914/4 CV Joints are not the same, but the complete axle assembly does directly swap.
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Nov 11 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Nov 11 2006, 12:47 AM) *

Luckily for me, the 914-6 axle shafts (and hence CV joints) have the same number and size splines as 911 cv-joints. I simply turned the axle shaft shoulders down a bit and 911 CV joints fit like a glove.

Got pix or a sketch of what you did? With this change what model year 911 CV joints fit?

Thx,

Skip
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Nov 11 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #14

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

Ok guys slight thread hijack here.

I'm prepping to go to 944 cv's. A few people have done this. I've got some coarse spline 915 flangs, some 944 stubs, and an extra set of 914 axles. Is it easier, or even possible to use early 911 stubs instead of the 944 stubs? This would be easy for me since I have 911 hubs now. The 944 stubs either need to be machined or I need to make a spacer. If I can just use a factory 911 stub, I'd prefer to do that.

Will the 944 CV hook up to the 911 stub?

Thanks,

kelly
+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Nov 11 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #15

rebuilt member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,532

I don't know what I just sent to Mike Mueller for redrilling the dowel pin, but they have a porsche part number, AND they fit the original -6 axle without turning down the shoulder. They just don't have the dowel holes. (The holes are there, but they are the same size as the others, and not big enough for the rolled pin). Maybe Mike can look at the part number on the box and see what they originally fit.
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 11 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #16

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I'd have to do some measuring, however the /6 axle has a slightly bigger shaft diameter than the /4 axle.
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 12 2006, 03:06 AM
Post #17

member? what's a member?

Sorry for the hijack, but

Got pix or a sketch of what you did? With this change what model year 911 CV joints fit?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 12 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #18

member? what's a member?

2 last pics

The Cv joints are for up to mid year 1984 911 parts. (6) 8 mm bolts.
The Trans output flanges are coarse spline 915.
The Stub axles are 911 again up to mid year 1984.

The axle shafts are modified 914/6 axles.

The 944 CV joints are supposed to have the same spline pattern as the 914-4 axle shafts, but again the ends need to be modified to accept the wider CV joints.

I do not know about 944 stub axles.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Nov 15 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #19

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Nov 12 2006, 01:10 AM) *

2 last pics

The Cv joints are for up to mid year 1984 911 parts. (6) 8 mm bolts.
The Trans output flanges are coarse spline 915.
The Stub axles are 911 again up to mid year 1984.

The axle shafts are modified 914/6 axles.

The 944 CV joints are supposed to have the same spline pattern as the 914-4 axle shafts, but again the ends need to be modified to accept the wider CV joints.

I do not know about 944 stub axles.

Many thanks John. I believe Clay used a 944 stub, but this requires machining of an extra shoulder on the 944 part. Using a 911 stub makes a lot of sense.

Kelly
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 18 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(maxwelj @ Nov 11 2006, 06:16 PM) *

I don't know what I just sent to Mike Mueller for redrilling the dowel pin, but they have a porsche part number, AND they fit the original -6 axle without turning down the shoulder. They just don't have the dowel holes. (The holes are there, but they are the same size as the others, and not big enough for the rolled pin). Maybe Mike can look at the part number on the box and see what they originally fit.

A few interesting things about the /4 and the /6 CV's

/4's

has relief for gasket
33 spline count
10mmX20mm deep c'bore
OD of CV is same from face to face (94mm)
body thickness (32mm)

/6's
(part # 901-332-031-10 according a web search showing them to be /6 CV's, but the lack of the holes for the dowls makes me question that)
no relief for gasket
25 spline count
no 10mmX20mm deep c'bore
body thickness is (32mm)
OD of CV goes from 94mm to 89.90mm face to face (same as VW bug Type I CV's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:44 PM