Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spark Plug Cables and Distributor, Which cable goes where?
w0ahitsm3
post Nov 10 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,157

Me and a friend just got our hands on a 1970 914/4 and about to start working on it. Im a abit new to the whole working on cars thing but have some basic knowledge on what needs to be done. Well I was checking out the engine bay and noticed that whoever had the car before us, removed the spark plug cables from the dizzy and didnt label where each of them had gone to. Ive read a handbook and understand the firing order for the car, but I would like to know if anybody knows which cylinder goes to each slot on the distributor cap. Any help is appreciated. This is gonna be a fun project for two 17 year olds.

Thanks.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 11 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

firing order is 1-4-3-2. bring engine to TDC which is when the rotor points to the notch in the rim of the body of the distributor, normally it's close to "2 o'clock" as viewed from the passenger side of the car, and/or the timing marks on the cooling fan are seen thru the timing hole on the front shroud. i think the rotor turns clockwise when viewed from the passenger side of the car, but don't quote me on that, i have it written down in my book if you need verification. so, plug wire for cylinder #1 goes under the connection on the cap where the rotor is pointing, then, going clockwise (to be verified) around the cap, #4-3-2. the number of the cylinder is stamped into the engine cooling sheet metal near the spark plug hole. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 11 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This might help also...

(IMG:http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_valve_adjust/914_valve_adjust_pic22_big.JPG)
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Nov 11 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 366

On teh dizzy, remove the cap, look at teh rim of the dizzy that teh cap rests on, there is a big notch (maybe 1/4 inch wide) this notch locates teh cap, now look for a fine line scribed into the rim of the dizzy, not the notch, but a fine line. the rotor tip when lined up with this fine line is pointing to #1 then goin gclockwise it is #1, #4, #3, #2

remember it is the fine line, on the rim, not the big cap locating notch that lines up the rotor to #1

most VW distributors i have seen have this fine line to locate #1 on the dizzy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:58 PM