Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How far would you drive your car?, Lets see how good member's cars really are.
What shape is your car in?
The good the bad and the donors.
Drivable form coast to coast [ 106 ] ** [44.73%]
Good for trips but AAA dependant [ 34 ] ** [14.35%]
Won't go past 500 miles with confidence [ 21 ] ** [8.86%]
Won't leave town but still driven [ 9 ] ** [3.80%]
Its dependable because I'm nuts [ 19 ] ** [8.02%]
Have a constant feeling of driving peranoia [ 9 ] ** [3.80%]
Can't drive it yet, its not perfect! [ 10 ] ** [4.22%]
Its all about the tinkering and not the driving [ 3 ] ** [1.27%]
Prognosis, jackstandaholic! [ 22 ] ** [9.28%]
Streets are for GIRLIES, I race BIOTCH!! [ 4 ] ** [1.69%]
Total Votes: 237
Guests cannot vote 
fat73
post Nov 15 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #41

W9R1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

4,997 miles from Tampa to Las Vegas, and back for SEMA 2006.

Ed aka W9R1
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Nov 15 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #42

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

I've driven mine without incident for six months daily without issue.

My old engine dropped a valve though, so this one is monitored but seems to work well.
+Quote Post
PinetreePorsche
post Nov 15 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,124

OK, not quite the same, but in '74 I drove a funky 1300 cc 1966 VW hippie van from Boston to Guatamala and got back to Penna. (incl. to PCanada) before it gave out --and that was only because in the dark I couldn't tell how fast it was burning/blowing oil. Would have made it in the daylight. So I'll take my almost perfect '73 anywhere. -Chris H.
+Quote Post
RS22b
post Nov 15 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #44

Type Broken!

Member No.: 3,425

mine is i guess pretty reliable, but i was prepared to drive out to the RRC had i gotten my car back by then.

Turns out, after i got my car back from the motor build that my brakes and tierods were shot, haha.

+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Nov 16 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #45

1975 914 3.0SC

Member No.: 3,523
Region Association: None

I bet my teener would be reliable from coast to coast, but I would say it just depends on the weather. I have a concern that my motor would overheat if it was driven for too long with consistent "high" revs (3600 - 4000 rpm seems to send the temp up sorta quickly) Other than that though I would say my car would be reliable for a decent amount of time.
-Chris
+Quote Post
JPB
post Nov 16 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #46

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Sounds good fellas and the pole is getting more accurate with more votes 50% and still strong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Nov 19 2006, 05:27 AM
Post #47

1975 914 3.0SC

Member No.: 3,523

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Well now speak of the devil. Really late last night I'm coming home from a drive to Mantica. When I'm crusing along all of a sudden a big POP!! Guess my little baby popped a fuel line or something. I have to go pick it up off the side of the freeway tomorrow morning.
-Chris

P.S. - If anyone local driving along 580 coming down towards San Jose and happen to see a white stranded 914 it's mine!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
gfulcher
post Nov 19 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #48

Diagnosis: Automobilitus. Prognosis: Terminal

Member No.: 1,501
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 13 2006, 12:03 PM) *

Y'all are a bunch of wussies....

Joe Yoder (with Steve Milo as co-pilot) is the KING of long distance 914 driving. Dallas to San Deigo. San Deigo to Seattle. Seattle to Chicago. Chicago to Dallas.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif)

Hmmm... I think any long distance trip in a 914 is well within the "luxo" category. I did an epic perimeter trip of the USA, nearly entirely on back roads, in my VW '73 Thing, solo... without a top or a map. 17,000 or so miles in total from Cape Cod to Seattle to San Diego to Fort Lauderdale and back to Cape Cod.

Would do it again in a heartbeat. Doing it in a 914 would be super comfy and zippy by comparison - but I would have missed all of those dirt roads across the dakotas and montana and the rockies....

-greg-
+Quote Post
fat73
post Nov 19 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #49

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(gfulcher @ Nov 19 2006, 05:43 PM) *

Joe Yoder (with Steve Milo as co-pilot) is the KING of long distance 914 driving. Dallas to San Deigo. San Deigo to Seattle. Seattle to Chicago. Chicago to Dallas.

Hmmm... I think any long distance trip in a 914 is well within the "luxo" category. I did an epic perimeter trip of the USA, nearly entirely on back roads, in my VW '73 Thing, solo... without a top or a map. 17,000 or so miles in total from Cape Cod to Seattle to San Diego to Fort Lauderdale and back to Cape Cod.

Would do it again in a heartbeat. Doing it in a 914 would be super comfy and zippy by comparison - but I would have missed all of those dirt roads across the dakotas and montana and the rockies....

-greg-

Just curious...but how long did that take, what was your route, how long ago was it, and was it winter/summer/spring/fall?

Ed aka W9R1
+Quote Post
theol00
post Nov 20 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #50

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,586

my car could go coast to coast - but not me ! Other than an airplane there isn't anything I would go coast to coast in..
+Quote Post
JPB
post Nov 20 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #51

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

QUOTE(gfulcher @ Nov 19 2006, 08:43 PM) *

-greg-

Sounded like an awsome time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Feb 21 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Coast to coast in the sixer. I think everything has been repaired and no more scheduled track time for that car. The track car on the other hand, from the garage to the end of the driveway with the current four cylinder and no brakes, and no seats and no lights and no ..........
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Feb 21 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #53

Unregistered

The 914/6 is good for Coast to Coast even though is it a street driven track car. There is not much left on the car to go wrong.

I voted "dependable cause I'm nuts" ... cause I MUST be nuts. It's amazing my family hasn't disowned me yet.

I have proven over the years that with enough tools, money and time, that no trip is too long.

It has gotten so bad that when one of our vehicles starts making bad sounds, my son automatically reaches for the fire extinquisher and my wife shouts out ... "it's time for another adventure".

Since our family's daily drivers (4 of them) average 17 years old with 265,000 miles ... something is goning to wear out every once in a while.

The last two weeks hasn't been too bad ... the son's Audi burst into flames while parked and the wife's Suburban lost the fuel pump AND the radiator on a trip from Seattle to Los Angeles. Just another "Adventure"!

Cheers,

Eddie
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Feb 21 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #54

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

These cars are just not comfortable enough for me
to drive over 200 miles in!!......maybe it's the seats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

.....now Boxster or 911 different story (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 21 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #55

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I bought my 1.8 sight unseen in Augusta GA. Drove it all the way back to Santa Monica. Only issue I had was vapor lock one time. Car was all original. Got 36 MPG on trip home.

I left with a trunk of spare parts that I never used.

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Feb 21 2010, 05:09 PM
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Feb 22 2010, 03:46 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My current car is not drivable but the car I am buying soon will be drivable but I don't know for how far. Can't wait to get home so I can drive it too. Only 2 in a half months left on my deployment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 22 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #57

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

the biggest problem with my car now is the squishie part behind the wheel, ME.

I think the engine and brakes and suspension are solid enough to make it anywhere with care.
+Quote Post
ericread
post Feb 22 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #58

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

Due to an illness of a relative, I have made three round trips between Southern California and Las Vegas in the past month. That's 303 miles each way door-to-door. It also includes two 4,500 ft mountain passes and some desolate hiway. But my little teener hasn't had any problems in getting me where I need to go.

However, as a SoCal driver, I removed my HE's (since they were falling apart and full of goo from old oil leaks). This made some of the driving in the low 30's (including more than one snow flurry) a little cooler than I'm used to. I ended up with so many layers of clothes that I felt like Ralph's little brother in "A Christmas Story" where he couldn't move his arms... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)

Eric
+Quote Post
bembry
post Feb 22 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Man,
I don't know. I tried an ill-fated 500 mile trip from Bakersfield to Phoenix in 1998 after I had bought my 914 and owned it for a couple years but had only driven it a very few miles, and it still had d-jet on it. The trip really sucked. I made it through the Tehachapis doing OK, but then my car started to go to crap pretty bad. I arrived in Phoenix over the course of 12+ hours, my 914 was running hot as hell when it was running at all, and eventually wouldn't go over 45 MPH. Not fun in the middle of the desert after midnight with a dying car.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Feb 23 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #60

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

San Francisco to Little Rock and back twice. ~3900 mi.

Little Rock to...

- Columbia, SC ~1400 mi
- Tampa, Fla ~1900 mi
- Lexington, Ohio ~1500 mi

and back.

More miles on twisty Arkansas roads though than I can count... daily driver. Gotta get to the northeast some time. Maybe Summit Point! Ear plugs required.

Cheers
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 07:52 PM