Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LURKERS, say hi, or ask a ?
seanery
post Nov 10 2003, 12:24 PM
Post #1

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I see quite a bit of lurkers out there, some of whom are long time members who may not have ever posted or posted just a few times.

We'd love to hear from you or see a pic of your project or finished ride.

C'mon.... please!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Nov 10 2003, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 204

Alright...no pics, but I just dropped the motor and trans this weekend, stripped out the AC, and stripped the interior....On the list for the winter projects:

1- Long. rust repair
2- engine shelf rust repair (like DNHUNTs action)
3- New used euro spec 2.0 install
4- finish rollbar fabrication
5- shocks/monster front sway/tbars/springs/bushings/turbo tie rods, etc., etc.
6- 19mm M/C
7- clean, clean, clean......

Wow, when you don't detail all that is involved, the list looks short! Looking to make SCCA CSP killer AX'er out of it.....this should remove the car from the equation and the rest is up to the nut holding the wheel....

PS. Anybody have a solid front trunk floor left over from a sawzall party? Big hole when the AC condenser is removed.....
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 10 2003, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Don't post much, just finished a V8 sbc conversion and paint job and flares on a 914 that I've owned since 1984. I'll give it a try on posting some pictures.

Bob

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 10 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #4

And one more

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 10 2003, 01:29 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

Super nice car Bob! Thanks for posting pics!

The orange and tan combo is unique. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jfort
post Nov 10 2003, 01:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes, it's been awhile. I recently had the transmission out. The shift fork for fourth gear was off so that it would not stay in that gear. Tab Tanner did a great job fixing it. He also put on new bushings. All that coupled with the Rennshift = it is shifting great.

Tab also rebuilt and adjusted the carbeurators. It now runs great -- just in time for winter lay away.

Received my 914 hats. They're great! Good job Sean.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 10 2003, 01:31 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 10 2003, 11:21 AM)
Don't post much, just finished a V8 sbc conversion and paint job and flares on a 914 that I've owned since 1984. I'll give it a try on posting some pictures.

nice wheels! what are those ???

Andy
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Nov 10 2003, 01:32 PM
Post #8

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

Very, very, very nice.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 10 2003, 01:47 PM
Post #9

Andy
The wheels are Racing Dynamics for a 930 turbo. The rears are9.5/17 with a 20.5mm offset with a 255/40/17 tire and I'm using a 1" spacer on these for clearence on the inside. The fronts are 8.5 with a 13.5mm offset and a 235/40/17 tire with no spacer.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 10 2003, 01:53 PM
Post #10

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

Ahh... the current state of 914 affairs for me. It has been about two years since we started the project. Sadly we have missed two events so far waiting for the car to be completed but in defense of Patrick Motorsports what looked like a rust spot about the size of a quarter ended up being cancer that had eaten into the depths of the little 914. While they were at it we plugged the antenna hole and the two front round side marker light holes. The metal work alone took as long as we had expected for the entire project.

The car itself is still at Patrick's waiting for final re-assembly. I think we are in the home stretch though. ALL the rust was found, removed, and replaced with good metal. Lots of fabrication work to repair the damage done by the A/C install and plumb in the oil cooler. There ended up being so much rust the tub ended up going down to bare metal. The paint was just finished and the pics i have seen look amazing, I can't wait to see it in person.

We are going for a classic stock look with a bit of extra oomph.... kind of a sleeper.

Here is a short list of things being done to the car during the process.

Jake Raby 2270 STILL waiting for install... it will breath life soon!

Transaxle just rebuilt by Patrick Motorsport's people.... no LSD too much $$$ already invested (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

GT front oil cooler with ducts to the wheel wells

Carrera suspension and 5 lug conversion

Fuchs 6" x 16" wheels

Front & rear deacklid swaped out for fiberglass

Front & rear bumper swapped out for fiberglass... I have found a place in Texas that does a 3-stage chrome look for auto fiberglass, we will see how it turns out. I saw it on a Buell motorcycle body and it looked like real chrome. Hopefully the bumpers will also turn out looking like chrome and not like silver paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

We are keeping heat for road-trips.

Of course we will be doing all of the bushings, rubber seals, roll bar vynil, carpets, etc. It's all that little stuff that really adds up. I am sure once it is back on the road we will find lots of other little things that we want to do tothe 914 but I think we will be starting from a good solid place.

I am hoping to have th car back before the end of the year but the way things have been going I am guessing that Feb. or March would be more realistic. When I do get the car back I will be sure to post pics of the finished beast here.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 10 2003, 01:54 PM
Post #11

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

keep 'em coming guys!
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Nov 10 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #12

Society Is A Hole

Member No.: 908

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Nov 10 2003, 11:29 AM)
The orange and tan combo is unique.

I always thought that would be a great color combo on a 356, though I'd go with a less vibrant shade of orange than Bob used on his 914.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Nov 10 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #13

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

Orange and tan... a factory color combo in '74!!! It looked great IMHO

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 10 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #14

Resident German

QUOTE(kellzey @ Nov 10 2003, 12:13 PM)
Orange and tan... a factory color combo in '74!!! It looked great IMHO

my car was originally signal orange with tan interior.
it's a '70 ...

i like it better now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Andy
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 10 2003, 03:05 PM
Post #15

Resident German

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 10 2003, 11:47 AM)
The wheels are Racing Dynamics for a 930 turbo. The rears are9.5/17 with a 20.5mm offset with a 255/40/17 tire and I'm using a 1" spacer on these for clearence on the inside. The fronts are 8.5 with a 13.5mm offset and a 235/40/17 tire with no spacer.

damm, those look nice on your car!

i suppose you have to go 17" if you want any sort of selection for wide tires these days ...
Andy
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 10 2003, 03:32 PM
Post #16

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

My very first 914 was orange & tan. It ws a 1974 that I bought in 1992
+Quote Post
FEF
post Nov 10 2003, 03:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,094

Looks like I'm busted.... I've been lurking for a long while.

I don't have a 914, yet. I've been learning a lot from posts here and the Pelican forums.

I'm going to look at a '75 this weekend. The story goes that it ran great 2.5 years ago when he put a tarp over it. It has Webbers, though. I feel that's kinda sad, because I prefer EFI. One of the first things I hope to do, after I shake out the bugs, is put in electronic ignition. I do not care much for points.

It will need new tires, but I don't want to buy 2 sets. I agree that I may be nuts, but I actually like the looks of THIS. It reminds me of a TR6. I'm thinking about trimming the fenders just a bit, getting tires, then buying the proper flare.

I'm also wondering if I can cut out the rear trunk. I have no need for that storage area, and it may make tinkering back there a bit easier.

My lovely wife says I can buy it IF I can drive it home, and there's little to no rust in the battery area. We'll see...

Well... I should head back to the shadows and lurk. It's safer there. If I don't post, I can't be proven insane and a builder of hacked up 914's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 10 2003, 03:41 PM
Post #18

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

orange car rocks! Looks like stevemalmz's avatar.

M
+Quote Post
radivad
post Nov 10 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #19

Custom member title

Member No.: 1,031

If you insist...

HI

Don't have any pictures right now, but it is an essentially stock 71 with 1.7L. Bought it in July. Previous owner hit a dog and front bumper is cracked and the front trunk is dented enough that the carpet cover for the spare tire won't fit. The body also has evidence of a VERY poorly repaired graffiti incident somewhere in its life on the hood.

The tranny has the usual vague shifting, but I have gotten pretty used to it over the past few months. I don't know exactly what all the suspension components are, but from what I can tell it is lower and stiffer than stock. No anti-sway bars. Tires are 205 rear and 195 front.

The engine runs great with the exception of a terrible idle (did somebody say idle) and poor running at part or no throttle. I should be pulling the intake apart soon as it seems to be a vacuum issue. Seeing as the idle speed screw does absolutely nothing I see this as the most likely reason. The vacuum lines are not the culprit.

Several problems would already be solved, but I don't have a garage right now and Montana can get a little cold under (or beside) a car. And yes, I do drive it in the snow and ice and all that crap. I figure one winter isn't going to make it all that much worse. The hell hole isn't great but could definately be worse. That will get serious consideration this summer.

The random electrical problems are interesting, but I haven't too hard a time living with them. I just sealed up the relay plate in the engine compartment since I didn't even think about it until it snowed and trying to start it up the starter wouldn't stop till I pulled the battery cable. That was an exciting morning.

The interior needs some things redone, but it works for now. My goal with the car is to keep it from going downhill for a few years while slowly fixing things and eventually fully restore it. It will take awhile but it is so much fun to drive. I would like to autocross it, but that won't be happening until I feel much more comfortable with its condition.

Basically, for $500 it was a really good deal for the condition it is in. It just fits so well. I absolutely love it, even with all the quirks.

But enough about the car, my name is David and I have a 914 problem.
+Quote Post
radivad
post Nov 10 2003, 05:53 PM
Post #20

Custom member title

Member No.: 1,031

Forgot to mention it is red.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:25 AM