Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PCA GGR Point System, Time to start figuring out how to fine tune it
DanT
post Dec 24 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #121

Going back to the Dark Side!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

The other problem with the current system is that points are awarded for wheel widths but not tire widths.

So you can run 205s on 5.5s, 6s, 7s ...so you have the same tire patch +or- a .25 inch but you can get nailed for what 100 points because of wheel width.

They are giving points for the wrong thing....for me points would be awarded for tire width.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 24 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #122

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 24 2006, 09:17 PM) *

The other problem with the current system is that points are awarded for wheel widths but not tire widths.

So you can run 205s on 5.5s, 6s, 7s ...so you have the same tire patch +or- a .25 inch but you can get nailed for what 100 points because of wheel width.

They are giving points for the wrong thing....for me points would be awarded for tire width.

Dan,
Just a comment on the wheel width vs tire point thing. I don't disagree but I had an interesting experience this last year. I ran an event in the Bumblebee 6 at Charles Schultz. My best tires were on 2 liter Fuchs so I switched out of the Revolutions that are on the Bumblebee. I might as well have been skating on a pond for the traction I could produce. Weeks later I put the Revolutions back on and ran one of our events at Stockton. Very good grip. Even with worn out Victoracers I had better grip with the 7 inch wheel than with newish Yokohama AO32Rs on 5.5.
Perhaps the sidewalls are working better on the 7 inch wheels?
I still have to decide what to do with those wheels. Only one potential buyer is insisting that the second set of wheels stay with the car. Weren't you one of the guys who wanted them?
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 24 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #123

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 24 2006, 09:28 PM) *

Dan,
Just a comment on the wheel width vs tire point thing. I don't disagree but I had an interesting experience this last year. I ran an event in the Bumblebee 6 at Charles Schultz. My best tires were on 2 liter Fuchs so I switched out of the Revolutions that are on the Bumblebee. I might as well have been skating on a pond for the traction I could produce. Weeks later I put the Revolutions back on and ran one of our events at Stockton. Very good grip. Even with worn out Victoracers I had better grip with the 7 inch wheel than with newish Yokohama AO32Rs on 5.5.
I still have to decide what to do with those wheels. Only one potential buyer is insisting that the second set of wheels stay with the car. Weren't you one of the guys who wanted them?

I agree with your assesment about the wheel widths....it would be more interesting to have the same tire on each type wheel and use them at the same event. That would yield some interesting data.

We have also been having a discussion over on the GGR board about tire compounds (wear ratings) having more granularities in the points assignments.
>100=steet tires, no points
<100 but > 40, 60 points RA1s, Victoracers, Pilot sport cups, Yoko A048
<40 110 points Hoosiers, 710s, Avons
full race slicks 150points

Or at least something along those lines...

As far as wheels....I am looking for 5.5 4 bolt Fuchs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 25 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #124

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 24 2006, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 24 2006, 09:28 PM) *

Dan,

I agree with your assesment about the wheel widths....it would be more interesting to have the same tire on each type wheel and use them at the same event. That would yield some interesting data.

We have also been having a discussion over on the GGR board about tire compounds (wear ratings) having more granularities in the points assignments.
>100=steet tires, no points
<100 but > 40, 60 points RA1s, Victoracers, Pilot sport cups, Yoko A048
<40 110 points Hoosiers, 710s, Avons
full race slicks 150points

Or at least something along those lines...

As far as wheels....I am looking for 5.5 4 bolt Fuchs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Isn't that what you have on your car? I have 10 or 11 2.0 liter Fuchs.
The best 5 will be going to Harvey W. in a few weeks. The rest are available.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 25 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #125

Rob,
can you send me pics of the next best 4 please? How much would you want for 4?
Yes, I have Fuchs now but I am also planning on having a second set...
One with Victors or RA1s and one with V710s

How much does he charge for a full polish?

Thanks

Dan

Merry Christmas
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Dec 25 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #126

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

Merry Christmas! I just got a SA2005 open faced helmet and a Martini Racing polo shirt I can wear to work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

This week in OR with my family I did the GGR mods sheet for my car 5-6 times to see what I could manage and stay in either AX12 or maybe AX13. The 5.5 in wheels vs. 6.5 in wheels is a pretty big deal....and I noticed that after I did this imaginary mod, the system updated it on the "TT" tab of points but NOT the "AX" tab of points. I ended up with 6 emails from GGR and the wrong real tire widths for TT. Which leads to my question

Can the system handle different wheels of different widths (and tires) for running in either TT or AX?

Maybe I just never noticed something about the system that told me which type of racing I was modding for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Also, do PCA GGR, RR, and all other Zone 7 groups do their own points and mods systems? Is there any kind of points race in RR or overall Zone 7?
OT: I like the green! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 25 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #127

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 25 2006, 01:41 PM) *

Merry Christmas! I just got a SA2005 open faced helmet and a Martini Racing polo shirt I can wear to work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

This week in OR with my family I did the GGR mods sheet for my car 5-6 times to see what I could manage and stay in either AX12 or maybe AX13. The 5.5 in wheels vs. 6.5 in wheels is a pretty big deal....and I noticed that after I did this imaginary mod, the system updated it on the "TT" tab of points but NOT the "AX" tab of points. I ended up with 6 emails from GGR and the wrong real tire widths for TT. Which leads to my question

Can the system handle different wheels of different widths (and tires) for running in either TT or AX?

No you would need to enter your car for each tire/wheel combination.

Maybe I just never noticed something about the system that told me which type of racing I was modding for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Also, do PCA GGR, RR, and all other Zone 7 groups do their own points and mods systems? Is there any kind of points race in RR or overall Zone 7?
OT: I like the green! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

All regions within Zone 7 use GGR rules,,at least up until 2006. Each region then has its own series with points and year end awards. There is a zone 7 series and year end awards and there are PAX systems for each as well.[color=#3333FF]
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 25 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #128

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 25 2006, 09:51 AM) *

Rob,
can you send me pics of the next best 4 please? How much would you want for 4?
Yes, I have Fuchs now but I am also planning on having a second set...
One with Victors or RA1s and one with V710s

How much does he charge for a full polish?

Thanks

Dan

Merry Christmas

Dan,

If I wanted just a full polish on a set of "track wheels" I would use Al Reed in the LA area. Harvey is more expensive. I am having a set done for the occasional concours event as I have been winning these when I enter. I am not a concours guy but apparently I have stumbled in to a good example of 2.0 liter 914 and the weenies like it.
I have about $75 each in the "extra" wheels if your interested. I got a lot of six off evil bay. Not looking to make money on these. I will shoot some pics of the runts in the litter soon...
Rob
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 26 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #129

Thanks Rob.

I will be waiting for the pics when you get the time. I am in no hurry. sounds good.

I may just take them to wheel techniques here in town...they did some wheels for my Carrera a few years ago.
they came out real nice or I will do them myself again...I did the ones that are currently on my car and they turned out pretty nice for about 4 hours work.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 06:52 PM