Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Easy Alternator test?
rhodyguy
post Jan 10 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #21

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Happy motoring!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mikesmith
post Jan 10 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 16,354
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 9 2015, 12:35 PM) *

I believe the alt light runs off of the alternator voltage wire that goes to the VR. I'm not sure exactly when the power for the light has to go through the VR, but it probably has something to do with the way the light is used to "bootstrap" the alternator to get it to start charging.

There are two rectifiers inside the alternator. One supplies what we think of as the "output" current, the other one is used to supply current for the field coil.

The alternator "works" by moving the field coil and its magnetic field around relative to the stator coils. You have to have current flowing in the field coil for it to create a field, and that current has to come from somewhere.

When the alternator is running, the second rectifier supplies the current. But to begin with, there is no current, and that's where the charge lamp comes in. One end of the lamp is connected to ignition power, the other end is connected to the output of the field coil supply rectifier.

To the earlier points about the charge lamp burning out; in some designs there is a resistor in parallel with the lamp so that current can flow even if the lamp fails.

This connection is also why some vehicles need a diode in series with the charge lamp; if your ignition current draw is low you can actually back-power the ignition circuit from the field coil rectifier.

Much more detail here:

http://brianesser.com/technical-informatio...nd-information/

+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 3 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #23

James D. Lane

Member No.: 15,210
Region Association: Southwest Region

Okay, alternator wasn't charging. I put 12.5Vdc on D+ and DF. I had already verified good grounding of the engine, alternator, and chassis. With both D+ and DF excited, no charge from the alternator, it just matched the battery voltage. With everything connected correctly and no jumpers, the gen light on the dash is on all the time. from D+ to ground I get 5.5 volts, and from DF to ground I get 5.5 volts. from D+ to DF I get zero volts. All said and done. I bench tested a spare alternator with the same methods and it charged great. I replaced the alternator and all is well. So, just some more trouble shooting data for others to use. Voltage Regulator is fine.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:08 PM