Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VIN number/engine number matching, ... Porsche AG claims my '76 was a 1.8?
type4org
post Nov 17 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #1

You need PLAID!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,212

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about the engine in my all-stock all-original low-mileage 1976 914, which I bought in July. It's currently in transit to my new place in Germany. In order to get it registered here I ordered a technical data sheet for it from Porsche. Now, this may all be a mistake on Porsche's side, but this data sheet claims my 914 was a 1.8...

- On the car, the VIN and engine number are a near-perfect match from what I can tell. The VIN is 476 290 3357 (just 750 units before production ended) and a GC 006324 engine (just about 600 units before its production ended). The production numbers I am basing this on are from Johnson's book "914 - A restorer's guide to authenticity".

- Furthermore, there are very few sources who even claim the 1.8 was carried into the 1976 model year. Most sources claim only the 2.0 GC engine was available.

- the car has the original "2.0" sticker in the rear. It has not been repainted from all I can see, it's as original as it gets.

So has anyone here ever seen or heard about 1.8 models in 1976? I'm going to call those people back first thing Monday...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 17 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

That is an error on someones part. Do they give an engine serial #? They should be able to. Then compare.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 18 2006, 05:24 AM
Post #3

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 17 2006, 09:40 PM) *

That is an error on someones part. Do they give an engine serial #? They should be able to. Then compare.

They don't give the engine number, the data sheet only contains technical information needed in order to get the car registered.

The Certificate of Authenticity, which I have not ordered yet because I need the transmission number so they can match that as well, takes the engine number into account. I'm ordering one of those when I have the can and can get all the different numbers they let you put in for number matching.

+Quote Post
914runnow
post Nov 18 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(type4org @ Nov 17 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about the engine in my all-stock all-original low-mileage 1976 914, which I bought in July. It's currently in transit to my new place in Germany. In order to get it registered here I ordered a technical data sheet for it from Porsche. Now, this may all be a mistake on Porsche's side, but this data sheet claims my 914 was a 1.8...

- On the car, the VIN and engine number are a near-perfect match from what I can tell. The VIN is 476 290 3357 (just 750 units before production ended) and a GC 006324 engine (just about 600 units before its production ended). The production numbers I am basing this on are from Johnson's book "914 - A restorer's guide to authenticity".

- Furthermore, there are very few sources who even claim the 1.8 was carried into the 1976 model year. Most sources claim only the 2.0 GC engine was available.

- the car has the original "2.0" sticker in the rear. It has not been repainted from all I can see, it's as original as it gets.

So has anyone here ever seen or heard about 1.8 models in 1976? I'm going to call those people back first thing Monday...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Data Sheet =Meaning the 'Certificate of Authenticity'???
What dealer sold it and what state?
What does your door sticker say for production date??
Maintenance Records?
Thanx Rx in Denver
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 18 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #5

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(914runnow @ Nov 18 2006, 10:01 AM) *

Data Sheet =Meaning the 'Certificate of Authenticity'???
What dealer sold it and what state?
What does your door sticker say for production date??
Maintenance Records?
Thanx Rx in Denver

The data sheet is *not* the COA, and it has an entirely different purpose. I'll order a COA once I have the car here.

I don't have any original records, but I believe the car was sold by Bob Smith Porsche/Audi in Hollywood/CA, from the metal license plate holder. If I remember correctly I searched a little bit a few months back and the dealership still exists, but they don't sell Porsche anymore. They did sell Porsche until the late 70s at least. I'm the third owner, and the previous ownership change was in 2001. So I believe the license plate holder could be the one put on by the dealership when the car was sold to the original owner.

The door sticker says 11/75 as the build date, which matches the VIN and the engine in the car pretty well.

I have one original receipt from 1992 when someone bought new lug nut plastic covers, but that's from a different place (Ogner in Woodland Hills/CA). It has a customer name "Charles Comelli" on there, which may very well be the original owner. I do know that the first owner is deceased. The second owner bought it when the storage garage place where the first owner stored the car no longer received any payments and put the car up for auction. Apparently the first owner's estate continued to pay for storage for a while, and then just stopped, and no one picked up the car.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 18 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Apparently there was 4075 2.0L and 25 1.8l cars in 76 built as the total built was 4100.
The 4099th car is listed in the owners vin's here so we know this is true. Books and magazines aren't always the most factual (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) As writers put in print whatever suits them.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 18 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #7

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 18 2006, 11:06 AM) *

Apparently there was 4075 2.0L and 25 1.8l cars in 76 built as the total built was 4100.
The 4099th car is listed in the owners vin's here so we know this is true. Books and magazines aren't always the most factual (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) As writers put in print whatever suits them.

Geoff, are you just saying "we know there were 4100 cars in 1976" or are you saying "number 4099 was a 1.8"? Most sources already quote the total of 4100 cars, but I haven't found any "proof" about 1.8s being sold, especially late in 1975.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they produced some in August 1975 at the beginning of the 1976 model year, I bet they had some extra engines to get rid of...

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 18 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #8

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

We know that there was 4100 cars built.
The confusion has been that 4075 has been listed in some places.

The fact is that there were 4075 2.0L's and 25 1.8l for a total of 4100, 4099 vin being the last vin we know of. Mine is 4063 built in 12/75
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 18 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #9

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 18 2006, 12:49 PM) *

We know that there was 4100 cars built.
The confusion has been that 4075 has been listed in some places.

The fact is that there were 4075 2.0L's and 25 1.8l for a total of 4100, 4099 vin being the last vin we know of. Mine is 4063 built in 12/75

Awesome late model you got there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I guess there really isn't anything known about those 25 1.8s? Where does the number come from?

+Quote Post
914werke
post Nov 19 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #10

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

BTW the COA should clear up wether or not all is orig. but probably WONT give you the Trans #. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 19 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #11

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 19 2006, 03:18 PM) *

BTW the COA should clear up wether or not all is orig. but probably WONT give you the Trans #. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

The application for it has a field for transmission number, and the explanatory text says they will at least tell you if the engine and transmission are those from the factory if you provide them.

+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 19 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #12

914 Historian

All of the 50 or so COA's I have copies of state the transmission number was not recorded. So don't hold out hope for that. The do state the engine #, but not often give the engine series. That is easy to figure out anyway. I have never seen any definitive info on the number of 1.8 engine cars for 1976, and have never seen documentation on even one of them. There are lots of hints on the original engine type and serial #. Do you have the Owners Manual? Two items there, model number "473XXX" and often the engine and tranny numbers are recorded.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 19 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #13

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 19 2006, 06:07 PM) *
Do you have the Owners Manual? Two items there, model number "473XXX" and often the engine and tranny numbers are recorded.

The seller says he found the manual and wanted to send it to me, but since then I have had an impossible time getting any replies to my emails (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 19 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #14

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

The trans code is also the date of assembly. So if the date of the trans is 'about right' in terms of when the car was built, it is likely original, or at least period correct.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 21 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #15

You need PLAID!

The drama continues. Porsche Germany sent me a "corrected" data sheet, and it does have data for a 2.0 on there. Unfortunately not the right one. The power output and maximum speed values describe the GB engine, which has 100hp, and not my GC...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Sent them another email...

+Quote Post
type4org
post Jan 19 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #16

You need PLAID!

After quite a delay due to the holidays Porsche finally sent me the COA I had ordered at the end of November. Turns out the engine number does indeed match, so hooray for that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I'm left with another question for the experts, though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

The COA mentions the car had M471 (sports package), consisting of stabilizers, spoiler and Mahle wheels. The stabilizers and spoiler are there, but I'm puzzled about the Mahle wheels. When I got the car it had Rivieras all around, and in the trunk a very pristine-looking steel wheel and tire. The spare looks so authentic, and I find it quite unusual that someone whould replace Mahle wheels with Rivieras and stick a steelie in the trunk that I'm left wondering: Did anyone have a case where M471 came with steel wheels instead of alloys? Is the factory information wrong (again)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 19 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #17

914 Historian

It could be the dealer did a little parts swapping in the back lot.
I'd like to see that new COA.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Jan 19 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #18

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 19 2007, 11:24 AM) *

It could be the dealer did a little parts swapping in the back lot.
I'd like to see that new COA.

Hm... that parts swap would be quite annoying. I spent a lot of money to replace the Rivieras on the car with a set of nicely redone steelies, on the assumption that the spare was indeed what the car had originally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Here's the COA:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
type4org
post Jan 19 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #19

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 19 2007, 11:35 AM) *

Here's the COA:

Oh by the way, they put 14100 as the number of 914s for the 1976 model year. Wasn't that 4100 instead..?

+Quote Post
shelby/914
post Jan 19 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4,655
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

A friend that has been into 914's for a long time told me that some dealers would pull the spare "mag" and replace it with a steelie. So every four cars and they got a free set of wheels. Who knows? Sounds like something that they might have done.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:08 AM