Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New 914 owner..... basket case!
QSL914
post Nov 20 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,238

Well, I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Mike and I live in Southern Corona in California. I have had muscle cars just about all my life. I sold my last car so I could focus on my hobby of 1/4 scale RC cars ( www.quarterscalelegends.com ) I have been getting the bug for a new project and came across a deal the other day that I just could not pass up. It is a 1974 914 rolling chassis. I have the hoods, doors... everything but the motor, trans and interior. Its a good solid roller, but is going to be a ton of work. My plan is to do the V8 conversion, fender flares and a classy porsche interior done in tan leather.... all on a budget. I want to spend about 6-8k on this car doing pretty much all of it myself. I am going to need a bunch of help from you guys, so I hope you are willing. This is not going to be a fad for me, its going to get done and I hope to have a engine and trans in within the next 6 months. First step is media blasting. I am thinking of the baking soda blast. Anyone have a good in-expensive contact in so cal?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Nov 20 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(QSL914 @ Nov 20 2006, 10:28 AM) *

I want to spend about 6-8k on this car doing pretty much all of it myself.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 20 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

welcome...

before spending another nickle on the car, inspect the suspension console on the passanger side and the rest of the chassis to insure it is not too badly rusted or damaged...

soda blasting good...sand is bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

depending on your skills the car can be done in the price range, of course you'll shoot to for the lower price but expect to be closer to or over the $8K range (from the looks of your garage, you have and like tools so you are off to a great start)

for the conversion parts, if going with used, be careful of buying piece parts such as the adapter plate or flywheel unless you know for sure what they;ll work with. nothing worse than buying an adapter plate only to find out that it's an old design and its difficult to find the correct flywheel or pressure plate or other stuff...

the more HP you want, the more $$$$ it'll be.....
+Quote Post
Brando
post Nov 20 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #4

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Welcome to the club!!!

Just out of curiousity, did you buy that from a guy named Adrian?
+Quote Post
Mid_Engine_914
post Nov 20 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,888

If you're going to do a V8 conversion, here are a couple of web sites that you'll probably find useful.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914/SBC/SBC.html

http://www.kennedyeng.com/

+Quote Post
QSL914
post Nov 20 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #6

Thanks guys! Good tips on the car. Its pretty much totally rust free with the exception of the rear trunk near the back where some water was sitting. I was able to poke 2 finger size holes in it, but thats it. There really is not much rust under it, but now that you gave me a specific location I will check it out. Good tip on the conversion stuff. I dont know a bunch about them. I planned on trying to find a used setup, maybe Pomona?

I got a hold of Cal Blast and the guy seemed pretty nice. Its gonna run about $1500 I think. It will be worth it for a clean start though.
+Quote Post
QSL914
post Nov 20 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #7

No, I did not buy the car from him. I got it from a good friend thats a 914 nut.

I plan on just the 300hp max for now so I can use the 914 transaxle... that I dont have yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
QSL914
post Nov 20 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #8

looked at the kennedy website and I have not seen that one yet. Any opinions on what kits bad and good? I cant imagine much difference between them all.
+Quote Post
QSL914
post Nov 20 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #9

How do I remove the ignition cylinder safely. I want to re-use it and dont have the keys so that means the steering is locked. The jack steering method is going to be tough when its time to drive the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 20 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(QSL914 @ Nov 20 2006, 11:21 AM) *

looked at the kennedy website and I have not seen that one yet. Any opinions on what kits bad and good? I cant imagine much difference between them all.

Kennady only makes the adapter plate, flywheel/clutch related parts...they will not be off any real help installing the motor into the car....all they do is help you mate the motor to the transmission, after that are on your own...

Renegade, Rod Simpson and Dessert Hybrids have complete kits which come with motor mounts, waterpumps, radiators and related hardware and support.

If you piece together a conversion, good luck getting that much professional help from one of those vendors....

+Quote Post
QSL914
post Nov 20 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #11

That makes sence. Plus it looks like the kennedy is not much cheaper when you break down the other guys kits.
+Quote Post
race914
post Nov 20 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #12

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Here is some eye candy and maybe some remaining parts for your V-8 conversion.

Thought you'd enjoy this!
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Nov 20 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Some more free advice- EVERY part you take off, starting with that ignition cylinder, you should treat like it's the LAST ONE IN EXISTENCE!!! Because it may be. ESPECIALLY the rubber stuff.

When you don't think a part is useable, it might be worth it to troll around immediately and look for another. Later when you need it, you'll have it, and it may have gone extinct in the meantime. These parts are going NLA at an alarming rate, and the ones that aren't are getting expensive at an alarming rate.

Good luck! It's all worth it in the end.

Jim
+Quote Post
QSL914
post Nov 20 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #14

Thanks guys! Thats more then eye candy..... mmmmmm. If I could afford parts like that I would not be pushing a car off a trailer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I love those headers!

Jim, I see you are in Mass. I grew up there in east longmeadow. My dad still lives in hampden.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:37 PM