Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1st ever powder coating experience
jamara
post Nov 20 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,645

I had my first powder coating experience this weekend! The part where I sprayed everything was really very easy. It was preping the parts that was a killer. But since I really didn't know what I was doing with this blast cabinet I bought I suppose that should be expected. It took me forever to figure out how to make the thing work. I finally decided I need a better air drier in the line. Moisture droplets kept clogging up my gun.

Anyway, I found a set of BMW brake calipers at the wrecking yard 3 weeks ago and I decided I would refurbish them and put em on. I bought a powder coater for half price a few months back and figured this would be a good start. While I had everything set up I powder coated the drop-links on my stock sway bar, also. I will be in 914 upgrade heaven this weekend as I install my new stuff, if I can get a break from the scheduled Turkey consumption. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

I think these will go beautifully with my new 16" gun metal rims.

(IMG:http://www.fc.biola.edu/~james.calley/oldbrakecaliper.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.fc.biola.edu/~james.calley/beadblastedbrakecaliper.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.fc.biola.edu/~james.calley/powdercoatedbrakecaliper.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ptravnic
post Nov 20 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 747
Region Association: None

(If you don't mind saying) how much was the blast cabinet setup? I'm thinking of getting a setup like you've got for winter fun...

-pt
+Quote Post
nbscooters
post Nov 20 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,347

At my previous job, I powder coated tons of pieces with this $80 powder coat gun from harbor freight. For the cabinet, I just used a storage container and put a hook on one of the sides and i stood it up vertically and blasted away. As far as the oven goes, you can just use a standard kitchen oven as far as i know. The neat thing about powder coating is that it looks much more professional than the old rattle can.
+Quote Post
jamara
post Nov 20 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,645

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Nov 20 2006, 12:36 PM) *

(If you don't mind saying) how much was the blast cabinet setup? I'm thinking of getting a setup like you've got for winter fun...

-pt

Don't mind at all. Mine is a Harbor Freight unit. They are about a 100 bucks regular price, but Harbor Freight has all sorts of deals from time to time. I got mine cheap cause it had a dent on one side that I popped out pretty easily. They have abrasive as well in 25 and 50 lb. buckets. Glass bead is what I used for these cause they were not really rusty. Aluminum Oxide is better for severe rust. Make sure you have plenty of CFM on your compressor. Here is the URL on my unit from Harbor's website.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=38440

They have other units with different sizes and prices.

If you aren't familiar with their stuff, they don't sell the same quality as American tool companies. But, they are inexpensive and a lot of their stuff isn't absolutely horrible, either. (Do beware, though. Some of their tools simply suck.)

If I relied on my tools for a living I don't think I would buy a lot from them. But, I am a weekend hobbiest who doesn't really care if my 70 dollar blast cabinet springs a leak. That's what gasket maker is for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good luck!

+Quote Post
ptravnic
post Nov 20 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 747

Right in - Thanks for sharing.

-pt
+Quote Post
majkos
post Nov 20 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Nov 20 2006, 02:31 PM) *

Right in - Thanks for sharing.

-pt

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Buddy of mine has the powder coat set-up,
Wouldn't hurt for me to get the glass bead set-up,
and we be in business this winter! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Just our stuff...........................No, Rubber Boy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:18 AM