Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Concerts, Just for fun...
Lavanaut
post Nov 22 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #1

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Since today is a virtual Friday for many of us, thought I'd throw this one out there just for fun. Try to choose a single answer for each question...yes, the latter two are tough.

1. What was the first concert you saw and when?

2. What's the best concert you've seen and when?

3. If you could see the concert of your dreams, who would it be? Choose an opening act and a headliner. Yes, they can be defunct and/or dead. Qualify a band's time frame too if you like (e.g. "'79 Olivia Newton John open for Metallica in '82"). Anything goes. Except that answer, yikes.

Me:

1. Los Lobos, '83 @ Pikes Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO. I didn't pick this concert, but it was a fun first concert experience...I was 8 at the time. This was right around when those guys got big as a result of La Bamba coming out. They're a sweet band to this day. Whatever happened to Lou Diamond Phillips anyway?

2. Extremely tough question, but I'll go with Tool @ The Mammoth in Denver, 1996. I was completely caught off-guard and blown away by the power and intensity of those guys that night. I had seen them earlier in '92 on a side stage at the first Lollapalooza, but it wasn't until seeing them in a proper venue as the headliners that I really came to understand the talent they have. Thinking back on it gives me goosebumps, no shit.

3. Can't think about this one too hard, it hurts my brain. Quick answer: late '80s Janes Addiction opening for Mid '70s (Rumors era) Fleetwood Mac. Seen both bands, but would have liked to have seen the height of their brilliance. Hell while I'm at it I'd like a 1959 Miles Davis playing between sets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Enjoy the long weekend all! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Lava
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trevorg7
post Nov 22 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,241
Region Association: Southwest Region

First: The Clash 1982 SF Civic (I was 14)

Best: Fishbone ~1987 in SF but any of the 20+ times I've seen them; best live show ever.

Wish: Fishbone circa 1985 at the Santa Clara University kitchen; $4 for 4 bands.

T
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 22 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #3

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

1. I have no recollection of who was playing, but it was at Steppenwolf (at Kings Island, Cincinnati in 1980 or 1981)

2. It is a toss up between:

Pink Floyd (Ohio State University) 1987 or 1988 (there was still some FOGGY haze, but it was clearing by that point in time).

and

The Who (Rosemont, North of Chicago) 1990 or 1991 (my memory is shot)

3. I would like to see:

Jimmy Hendrix opening for Jim Morrison and the DOORS, then The Who, followed by Led Zepplin, and just to round things out, some Grateful Dead.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Nov 22 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #4

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

1. Jethro Tull - Aztec Arena -San Diego State University, must have been 1994. I was too young to go by myself so one of my aunts took me.

2. Velvet Revolver in a parking lot in Hollywood last year. Not because it was an especially great concert, though it was good, but because it was free, and spontaneous.

3. Kraftwerk as an opening act to the Roger Waters enabled Pink Floyd

-Tony
+Quote Post
Allan
post Nov 22 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #5

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

1st - Deep Purple with Rory Gallager and Fleetwood Mac 1973

Best - California Jam 1

Dream - Rolling Stones with Aerosmith and Led Zepplin...
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Nov 22 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #6

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

First - John Cougar 1982 Marriotts Great America in Santa Clara (before the Mellencamp was added)

Best - Garth Brooks 1998 at San Jose Arena. I'm not a big country fan but took my wife ( a huge fan) and had nose bleed seats. About one hour before the show started a member of Garth's road crew approached my wife and I in our terrible seats and "upgraded" our seats to second row compliments of Mr Brooks. Garth Brooks will not sell the first two rows of his concerts to keep all the high dollar guys from killing the vibe. I've heard that Billy Joel does the same. Most of the people who were "upgraded" were young hot chicks. I was one of only several guys in the first two rows. It was FUN. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Dream - Sublime 1996 opening for The Police 1983.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 22 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 178

First, frampton comes alive, Anaheim stadium.

Best, Paul McCartney, nov. 2005. Incredible show, worth 10 times what it cost. 3 hours of unbelievable music. I just hope I get a chance to see him again.

Second best (and biggest surprize) Dan fogelburg. I got free tickets, I didn't expect much and I was wrong.
Great classic songs, the kind where you know every word and can't help but sing along and he played them very, very well. Highly recommended.

Worst, Elton john, Feb 2005 arowhead pond. He sang 3 songs and left, Fuch that so and so.
He'll never get another penny from me.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Nov 22 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #8

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

First- Foghat & ZZ top. Musta been about 1972
Best- Steely Dan. I dunno when
Imaginary- Billie Holliday & David Bowie
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 22 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

First rock and roll concert? The Beatles, I think. 1965? Same year as the Parade in Santa Barbara. Best? Hard to tell. Jefferson Airplane, Little Richard, CSN, Jerry Lee Lewis, BB King, Freddy Fender, Ike and Tina Turner, Los Lonely Boys (with their dad), Lyle Lovett, the KPIG Texas Uprising, The Steve Goodman Memorial Concert, JB Hutto and the Hawks, and literally hundreds of others. I used to do concerts A LOT.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
72914S
post Nov 22 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #10

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

First...FLEETWOOD MAC
Best...WOODSTOCK 1969 (boy am I getting old)
Dream...FLEETWOOD MAC,ZZ TOP,ELO,HEART
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Nov 22 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 22 2006, 12:50 PM) *

Best? Hard to tell. Jefferson Airplane, Little Richard, CSN, Jerry Lee Lewis, BB King, Freddy Fender, Ike and Tina Turner, Los Lonely Boys (with their dad), Lyle Lovett, the KPIG Texas Uprising, The Steve Goodman Memorial Concert, JB Hutto and the Hawks, and literally hundreds of others.

...Cop-out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) It's a tough question by design, meant to be at least mildly thought provoking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) JB Hutto was as good as Jefferson Airplane?!?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 22 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

First concert and one of the best:

1978 Bob Marley at the Santa Cruz Civic

+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Nov 22 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #13

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

First: 1975 Ted Nugent Winston-Salem civic center outside Roanoke, Virginia.
(Couldn't hear for three days) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Best: Ditto. Hard to beat the motorcity madman.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Wish: Stevie Ray, Eric Johnson and Jonnie Lang all on the same stage,...

OK add in Rory Gallegher for safe measure. Oh yeaaaaa....
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Nov 22 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #14

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Attached ImageFun!

First Concert: Either Cheap Trick or Ted Nugent - it was the same summer - 1980, both in LA.

Best Concert/Dream Concert: two of them, both in the summer of 2005 at Red Rocks. In May we opened for Big Head Todd. In August we headlined and had our CD release party there. Got the call at 10 am that it was sold out. Best night ever.

+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Nov 22 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Nov 22 2006, 01:57 PM) *

Attached Image
Best Concert/Dream Concert: two of them, both in the summer of 2005 at Red Rocks. In May we opened for Big Head Todd. In August we headlined and had our CD release party there. Got the call at 10 am that it was sold out. Best night ever.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif)

Ummmm.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) What band are you in?

That's a sweet pic by the way...

*** EDIT ***

Just noticed your sig line...The Trampolines. Never heard you guys, but I'll look around!!
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Nov 22 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #16

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

First: The Beatles. 1965

Best: #1 - Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
#2 - Oueen and Mott The Hoople

Dream: Jimi Hendrix and The Doors
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 22 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

1. Fleetwood Mack (w/ Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer), Sir Douglass Quintet, Black Peal, and ??, including a light show! Shrine Auditorium, SoCal circ 1968

2. Loggins and Messina, Santa Barbara County Bowl, Couldn't believe how good they sounded live; may as well have been in a studio! Circ 1975ish

3. Wish I knew. I despirately would like to listen to something not in the main stream, but with quality. Need help here.......Last concert was Latina star Paulina Rubio; it was kinda commercial stuff.

BTW, Rory Gallager, now that's going back; saw him and Rod Stewart at UCSB in ~'74. I think he recently passed? Since I lived close to Griffith Park, many free concerts durring the '60's at the no defunct merry-go-round included Crosby, Stills, & Nash, Joan Baez, and assorted flower children.

Andys
+Quote Post
Grimstead
post Nov 22 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #18

Cheaky Monkey

Member No.: 3,789
Region Association: Southern California

First: The Kinks at the LA Forum in 1981 (I was 14)

Best: That’s a hard one, I was fortunate to see some really great shows during the late 80’s & early 90’s (Used to work for a record company).
My top three would be..
Jane’s Addiction, New Years eve at The Embassy Hotel Theatre in 1988
Lollapalooza, 1991 at the Irvine Amphitheater (highlights were Jane’s Addiction & Nine Inch Nails)
Lollapalooza, 1992 at the Irvine Amphitheater (highlights were Temple of the Dog, Ice Cube & Boo-Yaa Tribe)

Coolest: (not necessarily the best shows but just soo cool):
Metallica at Jezabelle's night club in 1986. This was the second secret show with Jason in the band. The power kept going out during the show but the crowd kept singing along, it got damn hot in there. BTW, most everything after And Justice for All is crap and I think they are douche bags now.
Spinal Tap at the NAMM showcase in 1991 or 1992. How many people get to see Spinal Tap play live?
+Quote Post
JPB
post Nov 22 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #19

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

First: The Tubes in Radio City Music Hall NYC 1986

Best: Slayer at the Concert Hall Toronto Canada, CRAP people were dive bombing off the balconies which were 20ft. above the crowd!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Wish: Rage Against The Machine in Mexico or Rush in Reo got the videos.

Dream: Me and band on Saturday Night Live (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Nov 22 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #20

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

First: One of those "Day On the Green's" at the Oakland Coliseum. Probably Black Sabbath, Journey, Jethro Tull... I kinda' remember some of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Best: Tie between Rush (with drummer Neil Peart's Solo) and Clapton (with special guest drummer Peter Gabriel just after Genesis). Both freakin' ROCKED!
Okay, if I HAD to pick I'd choose Clapton. His guitar skills are just plain sick. He just stands there and all these sounds come out (AKA Slowhand for a reason)

Dream: A Day on the Green with Fleetwood Mac (my local people) to warm the crowd up, then Clapton, then a little Rush and the Grand finale', Stevie Ray Vaughn may he rest in peace.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:55 PM